Good Customer Service

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
The inside mirror on my 1975 C-150M seems to be contaminated. Options are:
(a) It might be able to be cleaned.
(b) Portland Glass has told me they can re-back it, if necessary.
(c) "Replace it, Dummy!!."

So, I checked with Yingling Aviation. The part hasn't been made in years.
I checked numerous salvage places. "Sorry, not in stock."

Today the phone rang. Yingling Aviation was calling to reference part #0400339-1, "which you can find at Maine Aviation Parts at 207-et cetera ." Funny; that's only 35sm down "295" at PWM. When I called them they, indeed , have it in stock. Original Cessna part, box never opened; so old the paper label is peeling off the box. $20.00(probably cheaper than a labor charge at Portland Glass). Good on you, Yingling Aviation.

HR

Good for Yingling Aviation. I'll bet you do more business with them in the future.

What's the mirror for anyway?

Is it to help you see if you are about to get run down by a speeding Citabria or Sundowner in the pattern? ;)

larrysb said:

Is it to help you see if you are about to get run down by a speeding Citabria or Sundowner in the pattern? ;)

I can't think that I'd use the mirror anymore, but the C-150 I learned to fly in had one, and I recall using it when I was learning to crab to stay in line with the extended runway centerline on takeoffs. That's about the only use I can think of.

Jeff

No, it's for checking your hair after you take your headsets off!

I thought they were for checking to see if you were clear after you pass.

Last edited:
larrysb said:

That and evading trailing edge bird strikes.

larrysb said:

It's probably not worth a tinker's damn; but it just looks bad in my cockpit; and I'm more interested in where I'm going, rather than where I've been. :eek:)

HR

I love your panel. There's absolutely nothing there to keep you from enjoying flying.

70mph mostly level that close to the ground (green out the window) 2200rpm not climbing? Whatcha doin? You haven't got the wheels on the ground do you?

P.S. I think the mirror was put in the planes by some practical joker at Cessna. "Let's put this in and see how long it takes them to figure out there really isn't a purpose for it."

larrysb said:

The mirrors are no good for flying. One can tell by all the C150 pilot drivers off centerline from parallel RWYs.

fgcason said:
I love your panel. There's absolutely nothing there to keep you from enjoying flying.

70mph mostly level that close to the ground (green out the window) 2200rpm not climbing? Whatcha doin? You haven't got the wheels on the ground do you?

P.S. I think the mirror was put in the planes by some practical joker at Cessna. "Let's put this in and see how long it takes them to figure out there really isn't a purpose for it."

(a) It's pretty bare. The MX-300 was new a year or so ago. I envision adding a 2nd nav/comm or, perhaps, watching for a used King nav/comm/gps.

(b) Funny one, Frank. I had to go back and check the photo. Actually, we did a low pass(very low) at Bowdoinham(08Bravo) without intent of landing because the runway(May 15) was still soft(and worse now because it's rained almost every day since then). The wheels weren't on the ground but they weren't too far off the ground, either. The two photos(below) were consecutive; straight and level(you're looking at #14 68MSL) right out over #32 and Merrymeeting Bay. For darn sure, not an appropriate place to stall. When we climb over #32 threshold and get to 400MSL we're right over the power lines(look closely and you can see the power lines in the first photo).

(c) I think you're right. My Skyhawk had a mirror mounted up on the glare shield. With that one I could see the departed runway(and the RV-6A about to eat me).

I got an e-mail from Duff Aviation(Denver, CO) saying that they have a replacement mirror($35.00). Better yet(if it doesn't clean up), Charlie from Portland Glass called me: "Jerry, my man; when you get it dismounted, bring it in and I'll redo the mirror glass for you, no charge." Best deal, yet.

HR

When the developers wanted to sell the house lots the FAA required that the private drive which went right across #32 threshold be relocated. Hence, the loop around the end of #32, and it's actually about 10 or 12 feet below the runway surface (See the appropriate photo).

Edited: 1st and 3rd photo were consecutive. When I added the last photo Greebo's software stuck it between the first two I posted.???????????

Last edited:
Lawreston said:
I got an e-mail from Duff Aviation(Denver, CO) saying that they have a replacement mirror($35.00). Better yet(if it doesn't clean up), Charlie from Portland Glass called me: "Jerry, my man; when you get it dismounted, bring it in and I'll redo the mirror glass for you, no charge." Best deal, yet.

Go with Portland Glass. It's tuff to beat that deal and a lot closer to home too.

Just yanking your chain on the cruise speed ground roll. :D I know you have better sense than that. The bank angle was a reasonably good indicator of what you were up to.

Pictures of a real airport. I miss those... That looks like fun.

I don't remember where I got this picture. I think it's a bit of overkill for a panel upgrade though. I like yours better anyway.

Last edited:
Back