Good club planes?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hi folks,

My flying club currently has two Archers and a 182 and we're looking to replace one of the Archers soon. Any suggestions for what kinds of airplanes are good for clubs? Also, any thoughts on the types below?

So far, my list is as follows:

newer Archer
Arrow
Mooney M20J
Lance
Cherokee Six
Diamond Star (new/used)
C172 (newer used)
Tiger

I'll be looking into costs for a Cirrus as well, but that really is only for comparison purposes.

Right now, we are leaning heavily towards the Diamond Star. It's new and sexy, it's 30+ knots faster on roughly the same fuel burn, carries almost as much, etc.

Any and all comments are much appreciated!

Thanks,

flyingcheesehead said:
Hi folks,

My flying club currently has two Archers and a 182 and we're looking to replace one of the Archers soon. Any suggestions for what kinds of airplanes are good for clubs? Also, any thoughts on the types below?

newer Archer
Arrow
Mooney M20J
Lance
Cherokee Six
Diamond Star (new/used)
C172 (newer used)
Tiger

I think they're all good choices, but I'd add a Cessna 182 in the mix and drop the Arrow unless you need a complex trainer. The Tiger will do everything the Arrow will without the retract. Aren't the Lance and Cherokee Six too similar?

Why are you looking to replace the existing Archer would be my first question.

Do you have any need for a "Heavy Hauler"? If so, then the 6 would be a good choice I would think.

There is a club near here that has a Warrior, an Archer and a 6, which always struck me as about as perfect a mix as you could get.

flyingcheesehead said:
Hi folks,

newer Archer
Arrow
Mooney M20J
Lance
Cherokee Six
Diamond Star (new/used)
C172 (newer used)
Tiger

I'll be looking into costs for a Cirrus as well, but that really is only for comparison purposes.

Right now, we are leaning heavily towards the Diamond Star. It's new and sexy, it's 30+ knots faster on roughly the same fuel burn, carries almost as much, etc.

Any and all comments are much appreciated!

Thanks,

mgkdrgn said:
There is a club near here that has a Warrior, an Archer and a 6, which always struck me as about as perfect a mix as you could get.

Our club has a 160hp 172, an Archer III, and a 206. Choose your mission and weapon.

In addition to identifying mission needs....

What kind of hoops would the members have to jump through to be able to fly a retractable gear aircraft?

That said, get the Mooney..."life is short fly fast." :<)

Len

does the club actually own the planes? as opposed to how my club works in that individual owners own the planes?

Anthony said:
I think they're all good choices, but I'd add a Cessna 182 in the mix

Anthony,

Read again... We've already got one of those. :) It's a beaut, too - G430 and fresh paint job. If you'd been at Gaston's you could have seen it! :rofl:

and drop the Arrow unless you need a complex trainer.

It is a consideration. I'd kind of like to get something complex since I'll be starting on my commercial soon, if I ever get the IR done! While I'd much rather have a Mooney if we go retract, the Arrow would probably be an easier sell to both the membership and the insurance company simply because it's similar to the Archer.

Aren't the Lance and Cherokee Six too similar?

Purposefully so, almost. I'd rather have the Lance, but put the Six on the list in case we run into a lot of members who don't want complex.

Frankly, the Six/Lance would be much better suited to replacing our C182 than an Archer, so I don't think we'll go that route this time around.

Thanks,

mmilano said:
does the club actually own the planes? as opposed to how my club works in that individual owners own the planes?

Yes, the club owns the planes.

mgkdrgn said:
Why are you looking to replace the existing Archer would be my first question.

It is the last plane we have without an IFR GPS and good audio panel. That's the big reason. Our other Archer has a PS Engineering audio panel (I never knew what a difference a good one made until I flew with this one) and a GX55 GPS.

The C182 has a Garmin 340 audio panel and a 430 GPS as well as an S-Tec 2-axis autopilot and a fresh paint job. With all the money we have in that plane right now, it doesn't make sense to sell it so soon.

The one we're going to sell also has an interior that's in good condition and a paint job in excellent condition, which should make it easier to sell. The one we're keeping needs paint, but we have some plans for that which will make it beneficial to keep even if it didn't have the GPS.

Do you have any need for a "Heavy Hauler"? If so, then the 6 would be a good choice I would think.

The 182 fills that role for us, for now anyway. However, it's only a long-distance heavy hauler, as it's an older (1971) 182 that has a landing weight. For the 1/2-hr "city tour" flights I take people on often, our Archers actually can carry more. I do think the Six is probably going to be more of a consideration if we ever decide to sell the 182; right now it's probably going to be mostly for comparison's sake.

Thanks,

Len Lanetti said:
In addition to identifying mission needs....

What kind of hoops would the members have to jump through to be able to fly a retractable gear aircraft?

Unknown at this point. I think the bigger hoops to jump through would be the ones needed to convince the members to get a retract in the first place! I will be asking the insurance company about this anyway. Our policy is fairly lax - No currency requirements other than the FAA ones, for instance.

We'll see...

Y'all need to define your mission requirements before you start talking about specific airplanes. Do you need a 6-seater? Do you need a complex trainer? How much would the members use either (don't buy a 6-seater just because two members want to take it on trips twice a year or a complex just because two members want their commercial). Maybe you just need another Archer or another 182? How much are each of your current planes being used? For what additional capability or availability is the membership asking? Maybe you really need a cheap "fun" plane (e.g., maybe a 152 or something like that)?

Also, fleet similarity has substantial value for safety, insurance, and training reasons, which is why I'd rather have two Archers and a 235 Cherokee or two 180HP 172's and a 182 than the mix you currently have. But if you want a 6-seater, you should think about a 206 rather than a Cherokee 6, as most folks with hauling needs will be moving to that from the 182, but for complex, most folks will be moving from the Archer, and an Arrow would be a better match than a 172RG. But that's an issue that can wait until you decide what sort of plane you need, at which point you can look at specific make/model issues.

Ron,

Thanks for your comments - Right on, as usual.

The list of planes is obviously somewhat diverse, and the original question somewhat vague, mostly on purpose. I'm mostly interested in whether there are any planes I'm missing that would make good club planes in general, or whether any of the planes on my list have attributes that would make them unsuitable for a club.

Now, the reason for the vague nature of the question is that there are two missions: Short term, we'll be replacing an Archer. Longer term, we may replace one of the other two planes. Things like the Cherokee Six would be a replacement for the 182 while the Tiger would be a replacement for an Archer.

I'm working on a survey to help better define the mission requirements of the members of the club. For instance, personally I think a 6-seater would be nice to get at some point. I'd definitely like to have a complex plane in the club since I'll be starting on my commercial fairly soon and I'd rather not rent the ~$120/hobbs hr. Arrow from the local FBO. (Especially 'cuz it's a T-tail and with my current CFI we have to throw 125 lbs in the baggage compartment to get it within CG limits.) However, as you point out, it's not too smart to buy those types if they won't be used to their full potential.

Ron Levy said:
Maybe you just need another Archer or another 182? How much are each of your current planes being used? For what additional capability or availability is the membership asking? Maybe you really need a cheap "fun" plane (e.g., maybe a 152 or something like that)?

Another Archer, maybe - It is on the list. Another 182, probably not. For the most part, the Archers are used for local-area (within 200nm or so) flying and the 182 is the long-distance traveling machine, partly because it's faster (and carries more gear) and partly because it's better-equipped. However, these don't hold true 100%; if I'm going to do pattern work I use the 182 'cuz it's a lot harder to land than an Archer. I also know that one of the Archers went to Texas this year and they are used by quite a few members for mid-range trips such as to St. Paul and Duluth (200 and ~260 nm, respectively) and I've personally used one of them for a 400nm trip.

The Archers average around 25 hours per month, each. The 182 varies between about 20 and 40 hours per month depending on how many long trips people use it for. I don't think we really have room for more than one expensive, thirsty load-hauling machine.

As for capability, we're not looking for something substantially different from the Archer for the first purchase. Our main goal is to modernize a bit and the first plane we'll be replacing does not have a GPS or a modern audio panel. If we replace it with another Archer, we'd be looking for something 1980 or newer with a Garmin 430 and a coupled autopilot.

I don't think there would be much support in the club for a 152. Most of our members would only be able to fly it solo; Most of our members also don't fly solo in the local area very often.

The ideal solution is a plane that's quick enough to make longer trips bearable, cheap enough (in terms of hourly operating costs) to put it in the same ballpark as the Archer so it would still be used for local flights, plus has a certain fun factor for joyrides. I think the Tiger and the Diamond Star are the planes that give us the best of all of the above. There are several members who are very interested in the Diamond, I think I'm the only one who's even mentioned the Tiger.

Speaking of Tigers, where's the factory? Where are the distributors? Does anyone know if they'll send out a factory demonstrator for us to fly? Diamond is bringing a Star for us all to test drive in a couple of weeks.

Also, fleet similarity has substantial value for safety, insurance, and training reasons, which is why I'd rather have two Archers and a 235 Cherokee or two 180HP 172's and a 182 than the mix you currently have.

Good point. I must admit that although I generally like Piper a lot better than Cessna, I like the 182 more than the Dakota or 235 simply because it has the bigger, wider, more comfortable cabin. I can't stand to sit in a PA28 for more than about 2.5 hours without getting out to unwind. On the Gaston's/Houston trip this summer, however, I had legs of 4.4, 4.3, 4.8, and 3.5 in the 182 without any discomfort at all.

Our insurance is an interesting animal. We have no currency requirements other than the FAA's (though the first $40 of flying each month is free to encourage at least a little regular proficiency flying). In fact, we looked at changing carriers last year only to find we'd have to pay more money for a policy which added currency requirements and other restrictions. They (current ins co) also don't have differing rates based on requirements. IE if we required 250TT and 25 in type to fly the 182, we wouldn't get a discount. So, our minimum requirements are simply what the insurance company's minimum requirements are to be insurable: CFI checkout on the Archers, and either 10 in type or 100TT and 5 in type plus a checkout for the 182. They've already indicated that the DA40 would be a checkout-only requirement, provided it doesn't have a glass cockpit.

Hmmm... It's already been ruled out, but what do you think about glass for a club? The reason we ruled it out is that the glass version will require "Factory FITS training," which is currently only available in Quebec at the Diamond factory or in St. Louis.

But if you want a 6-seater, you should think about a 206 rather than a Cherokee 6, as most folks with hauling needs will be moving to that from the 182, but for complex, most folks will be moving from the Archer, and an Arrow would be a better match than a 172RG.

Interesting... I hadn't thought of it that way. I was thinking of the Cherokee Six mostly because it would bring us back to all low-wing Pipers. Everyone in the club flies the Archers, some also fly the 182. I don't think there's anyone who flies the 182 exclusively. Would that change your opinion?

Thanks,

Our club has a slightly different mix.

C-172H. VFR only pattern beater. I've seen where a member has flown it across the state, but I keep it in the Puget Sound basin. Last year of the 145 hp Contenental powered 172s. Gutless, but relatively cheap to fly.

C-172N w/ Penn Yan 180 hp conversion. IFR load hauler. With the 180 hp upgrade and full tanks (club requires putting planes away with full tanks so next member doesn't have to waste time going to an FBO for gas) we have a higher payload in this than in anything else in the club. 50 gal useful long range tanks. About 6 hours endurance at 65% power. A lot longer than I'll sit in it.

C-182P. Long range tanks (75 gal). IFR equipped. Nice, comfortable XC machine. Even though I have less time in this than 172s or our Arrow, this is my favorite plane in the club. Insurance required 5 hours dual before solo if I didn't have previous logged PIC. I didn't. Got my high perf endorsement in this plane.

PA-28R-200. (Arrow). About the same speed as the 182 on less gas burn. Higher payload than 182 with full tanks (I know, this doesn't seem right). However, only 48 gal usable, so 162 pounds could be added to the payload of the 182 with the same fuel load. Insurance requires a sliding scale of experience/training. Bottom experience (me at the time) required 100 hours TT and 10 hours dual before solo. You must fly at least 3 hours in a 180 day period or you have to get signed off by a CFI again and then fly within 45 days of the signoff. The signoff need not be accompanied by actual instruction. I have just over 43 hours in this plane (out of a total of about 210 hours). 3 hours is my limit (and that's pushing it, I've done 3.2) as we really need new seat cushions in this plane. Note - some places require an instrument ticket to fly a complex, our insurance does not. Got my complex endorsement in this plane. We now have a non-IFR approved GPS in the panel.

Our mix provides members the option of low cost, local proficiency/training a/c through XC cruisers. Newest plane in the bunch is the C-172N. Yeah, it shows it age - those 1970s orange and lime green colors don't do anything for me, but what the heck, it's only about $60/hr wet. And, I've got a soft spot in my heart for that 172 as I soloed and took my check ride in it. If I want to get somewhere in comfort, the 182 is the ticket with the Arrow a close second. Not as comfortable, but just as quick, at the same hourly rate as the 182 (presently $80/hr wet). If you need 6 seats, we don't have anything. If there was interest, and we (the club) had the money, I'd root for a 206 as it would be a logical step up from the 182.

Have fun searching around. I'd love to get some stick time on the newer birds you've mentioned, but I like the low cost of what we have.

flyingcheesehead said:
Now, the reason for the vague nature of the question is that there are two missions: Short term, we'll be replacing an Archer. Longer term, we may replace one of the other two planes. Things like the Cherokee Six would be a replacement for the 182 while the Tiger would be a replacement for an Archer.
Why are you replacing an Archer? The answer to that question may help.

I'm working on a survey to help better define the mission requirements of the members of the club.
Good move.

As for capability, we're not looking for something substantially different from the Archer for the first purchase. Our main goal is to modernize a bit and the first plane we'll be replacing does not have a GPS or a modern audio panel. If we replace it with another Archer, we'd be looking for something 1980 or newer with a Garmin 430 and a coupled autopilot.
Why not just upgrade the Archer you have? That's a lot cheaper than selling one and buying another.

The ideal solution is a plane that's quick enough to make longer trips bearable, cheap enough (in terms of hourly operating costs) to put it in the same ballpark as the Archer so it would still be used for local flights, plus has a certain fun factor for joyrides. I think the Tiger and the Diamond Star are the planes that give us the best of all of the above.
If you're talking about buying new planes, that's a cost-competitive comparison. If you're buying used planes, you can't get a DA40 for even twice what you can get a used Tiger.

Speaking of Tigers, where's the factory? Where are the distributors? Does anyone know if they'll send out a factory demonstrator for us to fly? Diamond is bringing a Star for us all to test drive in a couple of weeks.
The factory is in Martinsburg WV (MRB ). There are several distributors around the country -- check the Tiger Aircraft web site (http://www.tigeraircraft.com/3.html) for how to get in touch with them and get a demo flight. BTW, the G1000 Tiger is in final certification testing.

Hmmm... It's already been ruled out, but what do you think about glass for a club? The reason we ruled it out is that the glass version will require "Factory FITS training," which is currently only available in Quebec at the Diamond factory or in St. Louis.
Glass is great, but I'm not sure how much you want a mixed fleet. And who said you need "Factory FITS training" for every pilot? You should be able to get one of your instructors qualified to train the rest of the club, although that may mean sending the instructor to school.

Interesting... I hadn't thought of it that way. I was thinking of the Cherokee Six mostly because it would bring us back to all low-wing Pipers. Everyone in the club flies the Archers, some also fly the 182. I don't think there's anyone who flies the 182 exclusively. Would that change your opinion?
To an extent, but based on my experience jumping between makes and models, I'm big on avoiding big differences.

Last edited:
Ghery said:
PA-28R-200. (Arrow). About the same speed as the 182 on less gas burn. Higher payload than 182 with full tanks (I know, this doesn't seem right).

Well, consider the extra 31 gallons of fuel the LR 182 takes - That's 186 pounds right there. Doesn't surprise me much.

Our 182 is a 1971 N model with a 2800-lb landing weight. So, unless you're planning on burning off 150 lbs or about 2 hours of fuel, you can't load it to gross. Our archers both have useful loads a hair over 1000 lbs, so they're better for the shorter trips. Funny how that works, huh?

Ron Levy said:
Why are you replacing an Archer? The answer to that question may help.

Three major reasons I can think of:

1. The one we're selling is getting long in the tooth, around 7500 tt.
2. It is not as well equipped as we'd like, as mentioned previously.
3. There is some interest in improving the value of the club. Some members were having problems getting people to buy their shares when they moved away or wanted out of the club for other reasons. I was the beneficiary of that, my share was flat-out given to me. FREE. The situation is improving somewhat due to marketing efforts, but we're basically in direct competition with another three-plane club (Archer, Arrow, 172). A newer airplane would give our club better percieved share value than we have now.

Of course, the other reason is just simply "Well, we want to."

Glass is great, but I'm not sure how much you want a mixed fleet.

The G1000, IMHO, is a natural extension of the 430/530. After learning the 430 in our 182, I went to OSH this summer and flew a survivable ILS-to-the-ground on the G1000 on the first try. Once your brain speaks Garmin, it's not too much of a stretch. However, it's not going to happen anyway, because...

And who said you need "Factory FITS training" for every pilot? You should be able to get one of your instructors qualified to train the rest of the club, although that may mean sending the instructor to school.

The insurance company says:

Big Mean Insurance Company said:
On the FITS training, we currently accept training from Diamond (Canada), and have one other approved facility in St Louis.

This was what they told me after I told them we already had a G1000 FITS-certified CFI in the club.

To an extent, but based on my experience jumping between makes and models, I'm big on avoiding big differences.

And that is one big reason I'm trying to quash the two or so members who simply want to purchase a newer 172 (newer meaning after the restart of production - 1998 or so?) because that would leave us with three IFR GPS-equipped planes but it'd be one Garmin, one Apollo, and one King. Yuck. I'm trying to get us on the road to being standardized with Garmin at least.

Thanks,

Sounds like a new glass-panel Archer III might do you very nicely unless members are clamoring for larger/faster. You're flying 40 hours a month in the Archers already, it has the high tech panel, there's a low transition threshold (just learn the avionics, not the plane), and insurance should be easy. If folks are flying the Archers when they'd rather be flying the 182 but it's already booked, maybe a new G1000 182 -- same positive points. And if they want a bigger/faster plane than the 182, a new G1000 206 would probably be the best fit, with an easy transition from the 182.

In any event, for insurance cost and checkout reasons, I'd stay away from the retractables unless there are enough folks in the club who'd fly it enough to make it pay -- and that's just not likely unless you can keep the price below the existing 182's, which I don't think you can. Once they get their commercial, they'll rather fly the 182 that is just as fast but carries more than an Arrow, and not much slower (and a lot less roomy with a lot less payload) than an M20J (which would carry insurance and checkout burdens).

My experience with clubs is that the typical club, with most members not high timers and not flying very often, will not do well with a retractable or twin until its membership is up in the three digit range, and if you've only got three planes, you're probably not near that level.

Ron Levy said:
My experience with clubs is that the typical club, with most members not high timers and not flying very often, will not do well with a retractable or twin until its membership is up in the three digit range, and if you've only got three planes, you're probably not near that level.

Perhaps our club isn't typical. 50 members (maximum), 4 airplanes. Typically a third of the membership doesn't even fly a club plane during the course of the year. Last month (IIRC) we actually flew the Arrow more than any of the other planes. Of course, one member taking it on a trip and putting 15 hours on it might have skewed the numbers a bit. :D

Well I'd try to talk the club into getting a complex of some type. This should increase the value of their shares. I would be hard pressed to join any club that did not have a complex.

Paying to get into a club that doesn't even help you for your commercial license doesn't sound like a hot deal to most.

Whereas the current members may not ever be interested in advancing and are perfectly happy with the current aircraft. I am sure they would also complain about the possible insurance increase. The aircraft would also be higher to maintain.

I'd try to sell it to them that it will increase the value of their share.

jangell said:
Paying to get into a club that doesn't even help you for your commercial license doesn't sound like a hot deal to most.

Broad sweeping statement alert. Depends on your POV. Yes, a young buck looking for an aviation career wants complex and high perf aircraft. Our club, however, is populated by people already firmly ensconced in their (non-aviation) careers. What they want are well equipped, reliable, decent aircraft at a fair price. Pricing retracts for clubs increases insurance GREATLY. (especially if every club member is a named insured, as our club is)

Our club just plain says no to retracts, the benefits are not worth the large insurance increase.

flyingcheesehead said:
While I'd much rather have a Mooney if we go retract, the Arrow would probably be an easier sell to both the membership and the insurance company simply because it's similar to the Archer.

In the owner-equity club I was a part of, we had to sell both of our Mooneys (1969 M20E and 1980 M20K), as the insurance companies we looked at refused to underwrite CLUB Mooneys at any cost. That's without a loss history, too.

Troy Whistman said:
In the owner-equity club I was a part of, we had to sell both of our Mooneys (1969 M20E and 1980 M20K), as the insurance companies we looked at refused to underwrite CLUB Mooneys at any cost. That's without a loss history, too.

Why did they refuse to underwrite Mooneys?

Troy Whistman said:

Our club, a number of years back, had a Saratoga. A pilot landed gear up, and the insurance paid out, then would not write a retract policy. Our club cannot find ANYONE who will write a retract policy, and each year the number of carriers that will write all members as named insured is also dwindling.

Len Lanetti said:
What would you base the sales pitch on?

Len

Simple. If you have a complex that means you will be attractive to many pilots who are interested in obtaining or someday obtaining their commercial. Not only that it has a "coolness" factor with some pilots. Plus the need for speed.

So essentially your market just went from the average private pilot that wants nothing more then to buzz around in a 172, to inspiring commercial pilots. Good chance they'll move on to get their CFI. Now you've got club members who are CFIs, which would bring interest in with student pilots.

There is a local club here, I might join I haven't decided. The *one* thing that has stopped me from doing it so far is the lack of a complex.

They have two archers, a warrior, two 172s and a 182. Problem I have with the 182 is they require 10 hours of dual. I refuse to do that.

Troy Whistman said:

Yeah, I inquired further and was told they just quit insuring Mooneys in clubs this year. Now, they'll only insure them in a partnership with a max of five partners. :(

Ron Levy said:
Sounds like a new glass-panel Archer III might do you very nicely unless members are clamoring for larger/faster. You're flying 40 hours a month in the Archers already, it has the high tech panel, there's a low transition threshold (just learn the avionics, not the plane), and insurance should be easy.

Hmmm. I'll ask the insurance co. about that. I don't know why they wouldn't still require factory FITS training though, and that would still eliminate any glass panel. Besides, it's an Avidyne. :vomit: (I'm NOT a fan of the Entegra.)

We're really not looking specifically for a glass panel. With the number of people wanting a Diamond Star, I thought it'd be a good thing to at least research, but due to the insurance issues the G1000 version has been eliminated from consideration.

In any event, for insurance cost and checkout reasons, I'd stay away from the retractables unless there are enough folks in the club who'd fly it enough to make it pay -- and that's just not likely unless you can keep the price below the existing 182's, which I don't think you can.

That remains to be seen - Our insurance company doesn't seem to follow the rules, so it may not be that expensive. Also, the 182 last month was running $119/hr due to fuel prices (base rate is $94) and will only be down to $114/hr this month. Fuel burn is a big issue, and would probably skew things in favor of the Arrow somewhat. Like I said, though, jury's still out. I'll get back with more numbers soon.

Once they get their commercial, they'll rather fly the 182 that is just as fast but carries more than an Arrow

Given the choice, I'd fly the Arrow unless I actually had a need for the load-hauling ability of the 182. I prefer the Pipers to the Cessnas most of the time due to the easier landings and better ground handling. I'd take a 182 over a Dakota simply because of cabin space, though.

Thirty members. Most do fly monthly at a minimum, as our rate structure gives the first $40 worth for free. That's good for an hour in the pattern anyway, and most fly more than that.

Thanks,

jangell said:

Haha... Wrong. "Most" of our members simply want a cheaper way to fly. We've had one member get his commercial in the past year. I will be working on mine soon, and we've had one member who was working on ratings before going to school for aviation. I've only heard one other member talk about getting his comm. That leaves twenty-six other people who don't need a complex. As much as I'd like to have one to save $$ on my own comm, I don't think it's gonna be the choice most of our members would make.

However, that other club does have an Arrow...

Jesse,

While your points have some merit they don't increase the value of a share of the club.

In fact, attracting more members might be bad for an existing member as there are more folks utilizing a set amount of resources.

Len

jangell said:
Simple. If you have a complex that means you will be attractive to many pilots who are interested in obtaining or someday obtaining their commercial. Not only that it has a "coolness" factor with some pilots. Plus the need for speed.
Pilots interested in getting their commercial aren't usually candidates for flying clubs, which usually require substantial buy-in investment, but rather are looking for flight training operations where they can pay as the go and be gone with no strings (shares to try to unload) when they move on. If your club is focused on the flight training market, and some are (especially college clubs where there's no aviation program), fine, you do need a complex for your commercial and CFI trainees. But most clubs are what Bill Jennings described -- organizations catering to those who want to fly recreationally or occasionally on business, but not enough to justify sole ownership. Those folks aren't interested in "cool" and they can get the same speed with a whole lot more payload at a lower hourly rate (including insurance) in a 182 or 235 Cherokee/Archer than in an Arrow/Cutlass RG. Hey -- why do you think all those former Bonanza buyers are now buying Cirri and Lancairs?

Beyond that, the insurance, minimum experience, checkout, and currency issues for a retractable are also a major headache for club management. All in all, retracts generally don't pay off for clubs (other than those specializing in career training) until they're so big that there is a large enough head count of retractable users that the costs and headaches can be distributed among those users, and that's usually upwards of 100 members.

Last edited:
jangell said:
Now you've got club members who are CFIs, which would bring interest in with student pilots.

Our club does not allow student pilots until they have soloed and have 25 hours and an Archer checkout.

We do have two CFI's in the club but we allow members to use any CFI for their dual instruction. Some use the CFI's in the club, some use independent, some use the FBO's CFI's, some even fly the planes to other airports to get instruction.

Problem I have with the 182 is they require 10 hours of dual. I refuse to do that.

Afraid you might learn something? What on earth is wrong with getting 10 hours of dual?

I see that you have your high-performance endorsement already, I assume you earned that in the Baron, since none of the other birds on your list are high-performance. I'm guessing you think that the 182 is a big 172.

WRONG. The two look a lot alike, but they don't fly anything like each other. The 182 is heavier and has a much more solid feel. It also has some quirks that are very different than the 172. For instance, on our 182, Vx and Vs1 are both 63mph. That means if you're on a short-field departure and your engine goes, you have to push that nose down NOW.

The 182 is also a lot more difficult to land. Partly that's because you have a bigger hunk of metal up front, but the difference between the 172 and 182 is MUCH bigger than the difference between an Archer and a Dakota (which is what I got my hi-perf in) so that doesn't account for all the difference. (Archer/Dakota is the basically the same airframe with different engines, 172/182 are different airframes entirely.)

The biggest thing about landing a 182 is that if you don't get the nose up nice and high upon landing, it will start porpoising in a manner from which you cannot save the landing, you MUST go around or you will end up with a bent prop and no nose gear.

I'm sure there's plenty of important 182 information I'm missing, but the bottom line is that you'd do well to get yourself that 10 hours of dual in the 182. There is a good reason for that requirement.

Have fun,

Kent (C172N/R/SP, C182N, DA40, SR22, BE55, M20J, Warrior, Archer, Arrow, Dakota, Seneca, and probably a few I've forgotten! :D )

Last edited:
(double-reply here)

Len Lanetti said:
In fact, attracting more members might be bad for an existing member as there are more folks utilizing a set amount of resources.

Luckily, membership is capped at 30 as long as we only have three planes, so this isn't really an issue.

Ron Levy said:
Beyond that, the insurance, minimum experience, checkout, and currency issues for a retractable are also a major headache for club management. All in all, retracts generally don't pay off for clubs (other than those specializing in career training) until they're so big that there is a large enough head count of retractable users that the costs and headaches can be distributed among those users, and that's usually upwards of 100 members.

The "other club" I keep mentioning with the Arrow is also a three-plane, thirty-member club. I had heard rumors that their Arrow was a hangar queen, but I had seen it fly quite a few times when I flew so I spoke with their treasurer and he said they get a lot of time on it. Still waiting for the word on insurance.

FWIW, here's where we're at with the list:

Eliminated due to insurance reasons: Mooney, Lance, Cirrus, glass cockpit DA40.
Under consideration for "later" (ie if/when we decide to replace the 182): Cherokee Six, C206.
Still under consideration for now:
Newer Archer
Arrow
Diamond Star
Tiger
C172

I am really going to try hard for this NOT to be a 172, as that would leave us with three planes with IFR GPS's, but they'd all be different and nobody would be able to really utilize all three or know how to use them well. Unless, however, there's a newer 172 that's been refitted with Garmin.

flyingcheesehead said:
Afraid you might learn something? What on earth is wrong with getting 10 hours of dual?

I see that you have your high-performance endorsement already, I assume you earned that in the Baron, since none of the other birds on your list are high-performance. I'm guessing you think that the 182 is a big 172.

WRONG. The two look a lot alike, but they don't fly anything like each other. The 182 is heavier and has a much more solid feel. It also has some quirks that are very different than the 172. For instance, on our 182, Vx and Vs1 are both 63mph. That means if you're on a short-field departure and your engine goes, you have to push that nose down NOW.

The 182 is also a lot more difficult to land. Partly that's because you have a bigger hunk of metal up front, but the difference between the 172 and 182 is MUCH bigger than the difference between an Archer and a Dakota (which is what I got my hi-perf in) so that doesn't account for all the difference. (Archer/Dakota is the basically the same airframe with different engines, 172/182 are different airframes entirely.)

The biggest thing about landing a 182 is that if you don't get the nose up nice and high upon landing, it will start porpoising in a manner from which you cannot save the landing, you MUST go around or you will end up with a bent prop and no nose gear.

I'm sure there's plenty of important 182 information I'm missing, but the bottom line is that you'd do well to get yourself that 10 hours of dual in the 182. There is a good reason for that requirement.

I received the high performance in a 182, I just simply forgot to add it to the list. So Yes I have flown a 182.

Why do I refuse to fly 10 hours in a 182 dual?
I'm afraid I can't afford 10 hours in a 182 dual. I can't afford to fly period but I manage to pull it off.

Landing a 182 is cake comparied to the PA-12. A 182 is heavier sure. But it also has a nosewheel. Landing a 182 is one thing I do not have an issue with.

How many PPLs do I see land 172s all day long flat as can be? MANNY. Those are the people that end up with a bent firewall in a 182.

I also have no problem with shoving a nose down with an engine issue. I did it the other day and saved my ass. You are pretty much jumping on me assuming that I am not capable of doing the list you built in your post..

Someone else also made a comment about it being bad wanting people in the club. If you didn't notice the club limits their amount of members. So in order to get in you must purchase a share. Problem is there is no interest in the club and people end up giving their share away.

Last edited:
Ron Levy said:
... (including insurance) in a 182 or 235 Cherokee/Archer than in an Arrow/Cutlass RG. Hey -- why do you think all those former Bonanza buyers are now buying Cirri and Lancairs?

Have to agree with your quotes regarding insurance, but I heard that Cirrus (not sure about the Lancairs) are pretty expensive to insure. :)

jangell said:
How many PPLs do I see land 172s all day long flat as can be? MANNY. Those are the people that end up with a bent firewall in a 182.

Bingo.

I also have no problem with shoving a nose down with an engine issue. I did it the other day and saved my ass. You are pretty much jumping on me assuming that I am not capable of doing the list you built in your post..

Not having it on the list combined with your earlier statements made it sound like you thought you were a super-pilot. :)

I know the $$$ can get to be a big issue, but if it is, why even fly the 182? I highly recommend joining a club though. I joke that now that I'm in the club, I only spend half my money on flying instead of all of it! :goofy:

I apologize for jumping on you. :cheerswine:

Back