Good cheap laptop?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Looking for the best deal ($300-$600) on a laptop... doesn't need to be a high-powered machine. Would be used for wireless web browsing, etc.

Basic requirements:
good battery length
Windows XP, not Vista
1GB of RAM
60GB HD
802.11b/g built-in, or slots to add external adapter

Anybody know of any really REALLY good deals this month? Factory refurb is ok.

This one is on TigerDirect for $499.

Lenovo ThinkPad T41 Refurbished Notebook PC - Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz, 802.11b Wireless, 512MB DDR, 40GB HDD, CD-RW/DVD Combo, 14.1" XGA, Windows XP Home

Microcenter.com has XP boxes from time to time but none showing right now.

Not a bad machine. Anyone with one at work is having it replaced with a newer machine, but that's an age thing, nothing else. I've got a T42 at work, so my upgrade will come a bit later.

IBM/Lenovo = solid laptop. I've had several over the years at work and have had minimal problems with them.

You can get the new Asus EEE PC sub-compact for $399. Hang on a few weeks becuase they're supposed to have a bumped model real soon now.

It meets your mission statement, but it doesn't run Windows.

Early reviews are very positive.

The scuttlebut is that Apple is going to have a touch-screen Mac tablet something like that in a few weeks, too, but it's not going to be anywhere near as cheap as $399.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! My wife's been following up on those, and found a deal through my company's CorporatePerks account:

$460.18 for this: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...iew&email_id=86240&jumpid=in_r329_emailconfig

Note that the link above will show more than the $460.18 she'd pay, as it doesn't reflect the corporate discount. Then, on top of that, my company also offers a 20% reimbursement for up to $3000 of computer equipment every two years, so she'd only pay net $368.14 for this.... that's a pretty good deal, but are is the HP C700T any good? If it's a problem model, I don't want her to buy it.

I have a Lenovo (IBM) T42 and it's great, just to concur with the other impressions on this thread.

Back