Good article on radio communications

Discussion in 'Change to my Frequency...' started by Martin Pauly, May 20, 2020.

1. Martin Pauly

Martin Pauly Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    kep5niner and WannFly like this.
  2. N1120A

N1120A Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1120A
    ATC communication should be easy. Just read back exactly what they said and fly it, unless it puts your safety at risk. If you need something, be ready to concisely ask for it and communicate it when the frequency permits.

As a pilot, I can't tell you how many times I cringe at blocked frequencies when it is blatantly clear that the crew doing the blocking wasn't listening to the frequency. Just wait. If they need you, they will talk to you. Oh, and it isn't just the small VFR weekend warriors who do that - I hear airline and corporate pilots do it ALL THE TIME.

3. eman1200

eman1200 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    So how do you say ‘bag’ and ‘table’ in German?

4. NoHeat

NoHeat En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tute (pronounce toot-uh) and Tisch (pronounced as it looks to an English speaker).

Not sure why the magazine author confused those two words, but it reminds me of a story, from a pilot.

He was in a tiny hotel in Germany, with his wife and two daughters. Americans. And he wanted some more pillows for his room, because they were four people. So in German, he asked the old lady behind the front desk for pillows. This request surprised the lady, and she firmly said no. The pilot then insisted that he really needed her to give him some pillows, because he had a wife in his room, and daughters, too. So he really needed the old lady to give him pillows. This made the old lady blush more, and she dispatched him from her lobby. Only later did he figure out that he had mistakenly asked her for kisses, instead of pillows. These two words were easy to confuse, because they differ phonetically only by a vowel sound, u vs i.

Last edited: May 25, 2020 at 10:59 PM
  5. N1120A

N1120A Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1120A
    A bag is a tasche