Good advice for ppl students

MedicineMan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MedicineMan
BEFORE you begin ANY training, go to IACRA snd get your stident license.
Then, BEFORE you do anything else, go get your physical.

There are SERIOUS roadblocks yhat can arise with medical, and possible problems with FAA & TSA.

No need risking long delays or wasted money on lessons til you KNOW for sure.

Well, then again you could do all that stuff THEN figure out you don't like flying one bit. I'd probably throw a discovery flight or first hour in ahead of that.

Wow, who knew? :rolleyes:

Lots of people starting out, don't. It should be posted as a sign on flight school doors, these days... many people who think they're "fine" due to the magic of big pharma, have no idea their conditions are disqualifiers or big slow-downs for getting an FAA Medical.

Especially with OKC perennially "behind", per folks who track such things.

Well, then again you could do all that stuff THEN figure out you don't like flying one bit. I'd probably throw a discovery flight or first hour in ahead of that.

Better to have under $200 invested then isn't it ???

Better to have under $200 invested then isn't it ???
Yea, but you could get a $100 discovery ride to confirm that its something you would enjoy. (if you had never been in a small plane before). If you hated it you'd forego the medical exam time and expense. Especially if you end up with a complicated medical situation to work through, I'd want to know that flying is something I wanted to commit to before jumping through too many medical hoops.

I do agree with your advice as far as getting that stuff in order early on. I ran into a situation with my medical which delayed my solo a few months.

And for sure DO YOUR RESEARCH before submitting for your medical, so as not to shut any doors inadvertently.

My advice would be to take a discovery flight AND do your research BEFORE attempting to get a medical certificate. It would really suck to get denied before you figured out you'd be just fine with an LSA.

My advice would be to take a discovery flight AND do your research BEFORE attempting to get a medical certificate. It would really suck to get denied before you figured out you'd be just fine with an LSA.

Doing things in parallel? Wait... is that something humans are capable of?!

Are you SURE he could do both? I mean, that's a lot of stuff to remember. ;)

I already KNOW that flying is for me.
Flown a lot with friend.
With time at Controls.

But I can see how a "unexposed" person might want to try it first.

Kinda like skydiving.
Some people are okay all the way up til it is time to jump, then agoraphobia sets in.

Many AME's will do a "consulting" physical. Yeah, they don't do them for free, but it's a way to find out where you stand without going "on the record."

Beware of the instructor that doesnt advise you to get a medical right away. They aren't serious about getting you through. Thats a sign they just want to do some hours with them and have you move on... Those guys are out there...

Beware of the instructor that doesnt advise you to get a medical right away. They aren't serious about getting you through. Thats a sign they just want to do some hours with them and have you move on... Those guys are out there...
I wish the CFI had told me NOT to try to get a medical, but would have given me something more than 'do your research'.

If you want/need a medical, go here and see if your condition is listed in it:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/guide.pdf

Then, fill out a MedXpress form, and get a consult from an AME, and DON'T GIVE THEM THE MEDXPRESS NUMBER. Once the AME opens it up, it's game over. You either get a 3rd class or denied. Welcome to the Hotel California. (It's a lovely place).

You get denied, the best you can fly is an ultra-light, glider, or a balloon.

Maybe that's true for some, but definitely not all. My CFI didn't advise me to get it right away. However, he definitely cared about getting me through and didn't care about how many hours he gained doing so... the guy's been doing it for 15+ years and just teaches for some extra pocket change. And because he likes to teach.

Believe it or not there are some guys instructing who don't hang out on internet pilot forums, are in perfect health*, and it would never dawn on them that medical certification is an issue for folks.

*with the exception of the ridalin they borrow from their roommate or the ADHD diagnosis they forgot about when they filled out the medexpress and no one's ever said anything about it.

Back