Gonna try carry on tomorrow.

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Flew this past week with the airlines. I had lots of luggage so I checked through. But I got to see what security was going to be like for my trip tomorrow to China. I am going to try carry on for all my stuff. It is only going to be two days in China (Fly out Monday, get there Tuesday night, meetings Wednesday and Thrusday and back home on Friday).

I just finished packing and to solve the liquid issue I am not taking toothpaste. The airlines usually give you some on the overseas flight anyways so I can use that and then just leave it in the hotel. If not I am sure I can get a tube in China. Not taking any hair gell as I have my summer cut and my hair is 1/4" long. No shaving cream either. I will shave tomorrow morning and as I have a beard that should last me for the two days in China. If not a little soap and water will do the trick.

Wish me luck on not having to waste time waiting for luggage.

Good luck.

You might want to see if you can get some tooth powder or baking soda to take along in case you can't get toothpaste.

I'm with you - I haven't checked bags in years. This would be a serious crimp in overseas travel....

wsuffa said:
Good luck.

You might want to see if you can get some tooth powder or baking soda to take along in case you can't get toothpaste.

I'm with you - I haven't checked bags in years. This would be a serious crimp in overseas travel....

There are supposed to be these new things from Oral B that don't use toothpaste and clean your teeth. I think they are like those foam rubber things you see in hospitals. I went looking for them today but could not find them. But I am hesitant to bring a white powdery substance on a plane these days.

I know where I can get toothpaste in China. It is just if I will be able to get it late Tuesday night. I have a bit of time in Tokyo so I will also scope out getting some there. If I can't get any I will give the conceirge a couple of bucks to find me some in time for the morning. Just hope he understands that 'toothpaste' is not a code word for something else that could get me into a lot of trouble. :D

smigaldi said:
It is only going to be two days in China (Fly out Monday, get there Tuesday night, meetings Wednesday and Thrusday and back home on Friday).

Sounds like my trip to Shanghai last December (and the one I was supposed to make a few weeks ago, but had cancelled - YAY!). Isn't that fun? :D

Ghery said:
Sounds like my trip to Shanghai last December (and the one I was supposed to make a few weeks ago, but had cancelled - YAY!). Isn't that fun? :D

Always fun.

BTW did you see the article about Boeing getting rid of the inflight Internet stuff? I guess they were not able to figure out how to make it profitable.

smigaldi said:
There are supposed to be these new things from Oral B that don't use toothpaste and clean your teeth. I think they are like those foam rubber things you see in hospitals. I went looking for them today but could not find them. But I am hesitant to bring a white powdery substance on a plane these days.

I know where I can get toothpaste in China. It is just if I will be able to get it late Tuesday night. I have a bit of time in Tokyo so I will also scope out getting some there. If I can't get any I will give the conceirge a couple of bucks to find me some in time for the morning. Just hope he understands that 'toothpaste' is not a code word for something else that could get me into a lot of trouble. :D

There are supposedly disposable, pre-pasted toothbrushes available. I'm going to have to see if that flies next trip.

wsuffa said:
There are supposedly disposable, pre-pasted toothbrushes available. I'm going to have to see if that flies next trip.

That is what I was looking for yesterday. Supposedly Oral B has 'em, at least that is what was shown in the American Way Magazine. But I could nto find them at all. I even looked on their web site.

I am pretty sure I can get through to China without too much problem. On the ride home it will be interesting to see what the Japanese at Narita have planned. They sometimes will go a little overboard, but at least they are polite and efficient when they do.

What I really want to be able to do is return with my luggage as carry on. I need to catch the bus hime which is 20 minutes after I land. Since I will be one of the first 3 off of the plane I can make it out the front door of O'Hare in 12 minutes (yes I have this down to a fine art). If I have to wait for luggage I will most likely miss my bus and then have to wait two hours for the next one. :mad::(

good luck! would like to hear about the adventure (both carry-on and China).

isn't there a sort of gum out now that helps in a pinch? at least makes you feel better anyway - baking soda gum?

smigaldi said:
Always fun.

BTW did you see the article about Boeing getting rid of the inflight Internet stuff? I guess they were not able to figure out how to make it profitable.

I did. But not until the end of the year. I've got SAS from ORD to ARN and back next month and I might use it on one of those legs.

Ghery said:
I did. But not until the end of the year. I've got SAS from ORD to ARN and back next month and I might use it on one of those legs.

But they must be making something on it because they've said that they will keep it running to support the government contracts they have - at least through end of contract. AF1 apparently has it installed....

BTW for all you travelers out to Aisa....

I had no difficulties with TSA on the outgoing flight. I did not pack any liquids and my carry on did not get any extra scrutiny. It took the usual amount of time to get through their check in. AA also gave me no problem.

Once on the flight to Narita Japan they did have the amenity bags with toothpaste and stuff for business and first class traveler. At the end of the flight no one collected it.

I kept my toothpaste and went through two Japanese security checkpoints and they simply did not care. Not a word nor placards stating that you could not bring liquids aboard on flight NOT going to the US.

A little update. Flying back from Beijing I had no trouble at the Beijing airport at all and all was normal err, as it usually is in the People's Paradise. Arrival at Narita Japn was the same as I noted before the only thing I noticed that was different was when borading the flight to the US.

there have been extra spot inspection tables in the jetway since 9/11. Sometimes you get pulled out of line and have to go through those. Now it is a 100%. This increases boarding time and the jetway is jammed packed. But even then the extra inspection was pretty quick. As soon as they saw my amenities and contained no liquids they let me go and board.

In summation it is still possible to do carry on, just expect to supply you needs once you arrive or get out of the US.

how many people get pulled on the jetway? how many screeners? what irked me in Paris is that there was one screener - she pulled ME over and all sorts of good-to-profile guys walked by me while she was frisking me down, my luggage, etc. I don't mind that she grabbed me per se - but while her attn was on me she didn't see all the other guys.

woodstock said:
how many people get pulled on the jetway? how many screeners? what irked me in Paris is that there was one screener - she pulled ME over and all sorts of good-to-profile guys walked by me while she was frisking me down, my luggage, etc. I don't mind that she grabbed me per se - but while her attn was on me she didn't see all the other guys.

Last time I was through CDG there were 3 screeners. They were pulling aside white, American males. French citizens went on-board without a stop.

woodstock said:
how many people get pulled on the jetway? how many screeners? .

6 screeners, 100% check on the jetway. I was glad to be in First class as there were not as many people waiting to be screened. I'll bet it took the whole 40 minutes after boarding started for people to get through.

Back