Gonna get an iPad

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Hubby has finally decided to scrap the Motion tablet and Anywhere Map with weather that we bought when they were the cutting edge in (I think) 2007. We have decided to get an iPad. We just don't have current plates and could not order them in time for flying our plane from its current home in Connecticut to our new home. We expect weather along the way.

But, should we get the big one or the little one? We can mount the little one on one of the yokes. We cannot mount the big one. It must go on a lap and is probably inconvenient for single-pilot IFR.

What software should we get?
Foreflight
Stratus ADDS-B receiver

Need to decide real soon so it can be delivered before we bring our plane home to Oklahoma next week.

I would recommend the iPad mini (with cellular access, even if you don't start a cellular plan -- you need the cell capable models to get internal GPS). My opinion of the mini vs. full size is based only on the mini being less expensive, so if you have a change of heart, you've spent less. I have a full size iPad and my wife has a mini, but I've never used hers in the cockpit.

For software, the big three (Foreflight, WingX, Garmin Pilot) all offer 30 day trial periods, so pick one or all three and give them a shot. Personally I'm partial to WingX in the air and Foreflight on the ground (planning), but until you talk about an ADS-B receiver, it's purely opinion and everyone's is different.

Once you add the ADS-B receiver in, you need to know that for pretty much any given receiver, only one of the big three supports it. Foreflight only supports Stratus, Garmin only supports Garmin, and WingX supports (pretty much?) everything except for those two.

If you don't have any hardware preference, it's worth pointing out that the Garmin software can run on iPads and also Android tablets, while the others are iPad only. (WingX has some Android offerings, but nothing of note.)

One final note... if you are going to have an external ADS-B receiver, you may not care about having the iPad cellular/GPS support -- lack of which would save you about $100.

My 2 cents:

I'm not a fan of the yoke mount, because it's like trying to read a map strapped to your steering wheel while you're trying to drive, unless you're flying in perfect weather and straight ahead all the time.
Also, I prefer the larger iPad, simply for readability in unstable conditions. It gets very hard to read something when you're bouncing around.

Last edited:
if you're sold on the ipad, go for it. I picked up a nexus7 and use garmin pilot and so far I like it a lot. if you need cellular, of course I think you need to go ipad at this time. I personally couldn't justify the price difference from nexus to ipad. I know this didn't help answer your question, just my $.02.

As stated above, new ipad models are coming very soon, I'd wait and either get the current one cheaper or get the newest best model.

I have an ipad3 wifi only and a gen 1 stratus receiver I bought from ebay for about $450.

The reason I opted for the old model was really unless you have an ADS-B out transponder, from what I heard from everyone you won't really see any traffic unless you're near someone who does have one.

So at that point you've just got a more accurate GPS and weather data. The only thing the newer stratus gives you over that is a backup attitude indicator and I'm VFR only so I don't care.

I have the bigger iPad with Retina display (iPad3). Really like it for general computer and web browsing.

Works great for aviation use, with exception of size. That limits the mounting locations. The iPad mini is a better fit for most GA cockpits. And for home use, the smaller screen doesn't appear to limit any of the functionality.

If you like FF for your EFB, then obtaining a Stratus II is worth a look. Feature set includes everything you would need from a device like that, including ADS-B, Wi-Fi connected GPS signal (permitting more than one device to connect and get the feed), and AHRS.

AHRS becomes of interest because you can turn your iPhone into an artificial horizon using the Stratus Horizon App (see screen shot below, and click the link for info)

The second attachment is how one of the reps for FF that was at the AOPA Summit has things arranged in his C177 Cardinal. You can see where he has the iPad, iPhone, and Stratus arranged.

Recommended capacity is at least the 32meg, though doubling that to 64 is not too much more money and you'll appreciate the extra elbow room in the long run..

Wi-Fi+Wireless is worth it to me since I use the iPad in lots of places other than the airplane. I've had the low end dataplan and for my running about the land, have never exceeded it.

Attachments

• screen568x568.jpeg
    screen568x568.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 47
  • C177 iPad - iPhone Arragement.JPG
    C177 iPad - iPhone Arragement.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
The wi-fi only mini doesn't come with a GPS, you buy that separately for $100. I couldn't read the thing worth beans first time out and if you want wx on the thing you are probably going to need an ADSB receiver of some sort.

I have the I pad three with Foreflight loaded,also have the stratus app. Does everything I need,use it on my knee ,due to lack of room in cockpit.

If you have to buy one before the new ones are announced, buy it from a store that has a good return policy. Best but will let you return it within 15 days or exchange it for the new model.

I have the bigger iPad with Retina display (iPad3). Really like it for general computer and web browsing.

Works great for aviation use, with exception of size. That limits the mounting locations. The iPad mini is a better fit for most GA cockpits. And for home use, the smaller screen doesn't appear to limit any of the functionality.

If you like FF for your EFB, then obtaining a Stratus II is worth a look. Feature set includes everything you would need from a device like that, including ADS-B, Wi-Fi connected GPS signal (permitting more than one device to connect and get the feed), and AHRS.

AHRS becomes of interest because you can turn your iPhone into an artificial horizon using the Stratus Horizon App (see screen shot below, and click the link for info)

The second attachment is how one of the reps for FF that was at the AOPA Summit has things arranged in his C177 Cardinal. You can see where he has the iPad, iPhone, and Stratus arranged.

Recommended capacity is at least the 32meg, though doubling that to 64 is not too much more money and you'll appreciate the extra elbow room in the long run..

Wi-Fi+Wireless is worth it to me since I use the iPad in lots of places other than the airplane. I've had the low end dataplan and for my running about the land, have never exceeded it.

If you use WingX, you get SVT with that horizon.

If you use WingX, you get SVT with that horizon.

Correct. And I took advantage of the sale Hilton had earlier this year to get SVT. Just don't yet have the AHRS box to drive it.

I have a mini and an Ipad2 both loaded with Foreflight. I fly both a 172 and a 182 regularly and have a yoke mount for both ipads. I use the mini in the 172 and the bigger Ipad2 in the 182. Sometimes in the 182 I will mount both for longer trips as it gives my co-pilot passenger something to look at since we don't have a moving map GPS in either plane. I'm very happy with this setup and I love Foreflight. I had a six month subscription to Garmin Pilot and just felt it wan't nearly as easy to use as Foreflight so I let that lapse. Two of my plane partners have non apple tablets with WingX and something else and are also happy and don't seem interested in switching to anything else. I have a wife and two daughters with Iphones and I have a Mac in the house as the main school work computer. Getting the Ipad just made sense to keep it all Apple. I'm not one of those huge Apple fans but they are very easy to use for all sorts of things and I have had zero issues with any of our apple products and I have a house full.

I sold my ipad 2 for the mini when it came out. I yoke mount the mini. I don't think i'll go back to the fullsize ipad any time soon.

I also have foreflight + stratus. But I had garmin pilot for awhile, and I would be happy with that program too.

Used wingX once but didn't find it as nice as the garmin or foreflight stuff.

I have a full size iPad 2 or 3 whatever they called the one from a year ago! I like the full size, my eyes aren't great and I can read it fine without my glasses, which I don't like wearing while flying. :dunno:
With an iPad it is important to get a 3-4G version, it's a little more money, but otherwise you will need a seperate GPS. I have used mine all over the southeast in flight and always had my position showing on the Foreflight map. :yes: I didn't activate the cellular data until last week, the data plan isn't necessary for the GPS, but it must be cellular capable for the internal GPS to work. The guy at the Apple store told me it would be fine without 3G, he was wrong.:mad2: But, on a good note, Apple swapped it and I paid the difference, I think it was $100.00. :D

When I got my IPad I went through all sorts of research and worrying about how/where to mount it. About the same time I flew with a friend who simply put it in his lap. It worked so good, I thought I'd try it before buying a mount.

My IPad is in a leather thing that makes it non stick on the back, so I don't have to worry about it slipping around, and I don't have to use a small one since there is plenty of room on my lap. This works out PERFECTLY for me.

I have an IPad 3, I think, and Foreflight. I couldn't be happier with it. I also carry an IPhone in my pocket. The Foreflight subscription fee includes one license on phone and one on pad.

I have the mini with wifi + 3G. I have a plan with AT&T for $15 per month that gives me 250mb a month. Perfect for filing a last minute flight plan with Foreflight orupdating weather en-route.

I would recommend the iPad mini (with cellular access, even if you don't start a cellular plan -- you need the cell capable models to get internal GPS). My opinion of the mini vs. full size is based only on the mini being less expensive, so if you have a change of heart, you've spent less. I have a full size iPad and my wife has a mini, but I've never used hers in the cockpit.

For software, the big three (Foreflight, WingX, Garmin Pilot) all offer 30 day trial periods, so pick one or all three and give them a shot. Personally I'm partial to WingX in the air and Foreflight on the ground (planning), but until you talk about an ADS-B receiver, it's purely opinion and everyone's is different.

Once you add the ADS-B receiver in, you need to know that for pretty much any given receiver, only one of the big three supports it. Foreflight only supports Stratus, Garmin only supports Garmin, and WingX supports (pretty much?) everything except for those two.

If you don't have any hardware preference, it's worth pointing out that the Garmin software can run on iPads and also Android tablets, while the others are iPad only. (WingX has some Android offerings, but nothing of note.)

One final note... if you are going to have an external ADS-B receiver, you may not care about having the iPad cellular/GPS support -- lack of which would save you about $100.
We just went to Best Buy and got a white 64-mb iPad mini without GPS or a plan. Guy suggested that BB would buy back the iPad for about $240 in a couple of months if we decide to trade up.

Will contact Sporty's to get started downloading plates.

New and upgraded iPads being announced next week, so you might want to wait.

http://asia.cnet.com/what-to-expect-from-next-weeks-ipad-announcement-62222733.htm

I have the current Mini and it works perfectly in the cockpit.

Definitely this for one of two reasons.

You'll either be able to get the latest and greatest for the same price as the current model.

Or, you'll be able to get the current model at a discount (either new or used) when the new model is announced/released.

I have both - whatever the latest gen iPad and the mini. We have a 1st Gen Stratus.

I love them both. I have the yoke mount with a clipboard that goes over it for the mini. I can't stand mounting the full size on the yoke. Drives me nuts on takeoff/landing...esp if I need to hard slip...just gets in the way. I've got a suction mount and can stick it to the pilot side window and it doesn't cover up too much. Also, keeps your eyes higher so you're not looking down all the time.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. The mini is just smaller and some people have a hard time with that. And definitely get the ones that are cell capable for internal GPS. I don't always grab the Stratus when toodling around so it's nice to not have to worry about making sure you do have it to get GPS info.

We just went to Best Buy and got a white 64-mb iPad mini without GPS or a plan. Guy suggested that BB would buy back the iPad for about $240 in a couple of months if we decide to trade up.

Sporty's for Instrument Approach Plates? PDF files?

If you got the wifi only version, you do not have gps info without an external gps source like the FF -Stratus combo or the Garmin Pilot software and their ADS-B reciever. The ADS-B recievers also recieve gos data and wireless to your iPad software.

FF connected to a local wifi will get charts and plate data for you.

Sportys? Holy cow, go subscribe to foreflight. Plates, sectionals, ifr enroutes, af/d, etc. for the whole nation, and a whole lot more. Price is very reasonable.

Sportys? Holy cow, go subscribe to foreflight. Plates, sectionals, ifr enroutes, af/d, etc. for the whole nation, and a whole lot more. Price is very reasonable.

Or get WingX and you can see where the mountain is...

I had a Retina iPad 3 but sold it for an iPad Mini. Our company required iPads in the cockpit and I love the Mini over the regular sized ipads. We use JeppFD, Foreflight and fltplan.com and it is a fantastic tool in the cockpit.

iPad mini with Foreflight work great for me
anysaqeb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am still running on my iPad 1 that I bought on a refurb deal. It's getting a bit long in the tooth these days now that Apple has dropped support for them. I'll probably pick up another refurb. I don't hardly use it for anything OTHER than foreflight (and some related apps).

As for additional apps, I have a couple of E6B (one amusingly just simulates a real whiz wheel, complete with the wind side, that's just for amusement). I sometimes work out what the TAS/Winds are when I'm bored in flight. More often than not though I just use the iPhone for that.

I've got the Jepp chartviewer because it came free with my chartview subscription. Much as with every jepp software offering, it sucks (less so than it used to, but still).

I've got the AOPA flyq directory on it, but I tend NEVER to use it because the information is available in FF.

Peg-

Need to make sure we are understanding (1) what you want to accomplish, and (2) what you actually bought!

If you want essential EFB functionality, you need the iPad with GPS (that means, iPad with cellular data capability and GPS). You DO NOT have to activate a cellular data plan, and the GPS will still work. A WiFi-only model has no GPS.

I use ForeFlight on an iPad 2, and used it for over a year without turning on data (though now it is on, and i like having it). The FF subscription includes all charts and all plates in the ConUS. I like having the location on the chart (whether Sectional, or IFR Low) depicted in real time, and the ForeFlight provides lots of other real-time data which I also find useful. It is a very valuable backup, IMHO.

Peg-

Need to make sure we are understanding (1) what you want to accomplish, and (2) what you actually bought!

If you want essential EFB functionality, you need the iPad with GPS (that means, iPad with cellular data capability and GPS). You DO NOT have to activate a cellular data plan, and the GPS will still work. A WiFi-only model has no GPS.

I use ForeFlight on an iPad 2, and used it for over a year without turning on data (though now it is on, and i like having it). The FF subscription includes all charts and all plates in the ConUS. I like having the location on the chart (whether Sectional, or IFR Low) depicted in real time, and the ForeFlight provides lots of other real-time data which I also find useful. It is a very valuable backup, IMHO.

However you can successfully use a wifi only with a Bluetooth GPS quite nicely.

I like having the location on the chart (whether Sectional, or IFR Low) depicted in real time

And, FF Pro will show your location on the approach plate as you fly the approach. I will likely upgrade to Pro next time around.

I would recommend the iPad mini (with cellular access, even if you don't start a cellular plan -- you need the cell capable models to get internal GPS).

I bought the no-cell mini and the cheapest Dual GPS, and have never had a complaint. Every one of the guys here with the cell-model iPads borrowed my GPS to try it out, and they all ordered them.

Peg-

1) We don't have any current plates or charts. We want to have plates and charts for a cross-country, Connecticut to Oklahoma next week. Weather would be good because we don't think our old setup is reliable any more.

2) We bought
iPad mini WiFi- 64 GB white
Foreflight downloaded from Sporty's and downloading plates and charts now.
Stratus ADS-B receiver from Sporty's to be delivered to a friend in CT on Monday.

The guy at Best Buy said that we had to have a plan if we buy the GPS. We don't want a plan, so we passed.

Last edited:

The guy at Best Buy said that we had to have a plan if we buy the GPS. We don't want a plan, so we passed.

He was either misinformed or had an agenda.

If you want the 3G/gps model, you should return what you bought and upgrade.

My wife and I both have 3G iPads and neither required a plan. If and when we do choose to get cellular, I think it's about $25/month on a month-to-month basis. I think we've done that once each when going on a trip, and then canceled.

Think about the times when you might be without wifi and still want to get weather and the like. At times like those, the ability to use the cellular network can be priceless.

Last edited:
Or get WingX and you can see where the mountain is...

Foreflight pro has a great terrain feature. Overlayed on the VFR charts. Or IFR charts for that matter. Terrain + obstacles.

I have an iPad mini and foreflight with stratus... you'll be happy with it. The stratus battery can go all day. The ipad, maybe 3-4 hours if you leave it on all the time.

And, FF Pro will show your location on the approach plate as you fly the approach. I will likely upgrade to Pro next time around.

If you fly to towered airports much, having the location shown on the taxiway diagram is the best thing, ever.

Foreflight pro has a great terrain feature. Overlayed on the VFR charts. Or IFR charts for that matter. Terrain + obstacles.

I have an iPad mini and foreflight with stratus... you'll be happy with it. The stratus battery can go all day. The ipad, maybe 3-4 hours if you leave it on all the time.

WingX has SVT

Just a little FYI. Use of own-ship position in flight on Class 1 and 2 EFBs is prohibited for Part 135 and 121. Part 91 operators can do as they wish but there's no guarantee that the aircraft position depicted is accurate.

With the current draft of FAA AC 120-76B_CHG1, Operators may soon have clear guidance on the acceptable use of GPS on portable EFBs. The draft Advisory Circular, available for comment until February 20, 2013, doesn’t include many groundbreaking changes, but it does align the FAA’s EFB software policy with RTCA hazard levels. By limiting EFB software types by their potential hazard level of a failure, it opens the doors for operators to use portable EFBs devices with GPS input to display own-ship position.

The catch, of course, is that own-ship position can only be used for surface operations under 40 KTS, where the failure of the EFB would only represent a “minor” hazard. Operators would not be able to use own-ship position during low-visibility operations, or other cases where a failure of the unit could create a significant hazard for flight crews. Under higher hazard levels, operators would have to have approved software per the guidance in FAA AC 20-173: Installation of Electronic Flight Bag Components. Any other use of own-ship position would qualify as a Type C EFB application and require FAA approval.

http://www.paperlesscockpit.com/2013/02/draft-efb-advisory-circular-grounds-own-ship-position/

I flew with Foreflight on the iPad2 today for the first time. I found it very useful on the ground and in cruise, but felt much more comfortable with it stowed in the terminal area during approach and departure. My club's planes are equipped with Garmin GTN650's, so I don't have a need for moving map display on approach or departure. I found the digital A/FD and sectionals of Foreflight incredibly useful, especially since I didn't have a paper sectional for the northern segment of the trip. Overall I was very pleased. It's still a little clumsy for me but I'm sure that will improve with use. I use a Bad Elf GPS on the iPad and that worked fine.

FYI - the newer generation iPads are prone to overheating with direct sunlight for 5-10 minutes. Close them up and put them in your bag or on the floor and they'll come back to life - but it ALWAYS happens at the worst possible time. Now, I just open it up and check whatever i need out and then maybe keep it open for a few minutes but if the sun is hitting it at all, I don't keep it out long.

Back