Gonna be some C182 Partners Mad at their Partner (Meridian, ID to Vernal, UT)

JoseCuervo

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JoseCuervo
So, this might go under the category of airplane partnerships gone bad....

Notice the big chain on the strut as the plane is tied down in Vernal, UT...
821580237.jpg

Damn nice looking 1962 model that was for sale, sometime recently, in Colorado for $66,900
bcb4e9a2bd9c350703b9_2.jpg

(edit: Looks like the plane was for sale in Colorado for $66,900 when Mr. Watson purchased the plane and it was relocated to Idaho.)

Seems one of the partners of the "co-owned" airplane had a business trip...

(edit: Upon further review, looks like he may have been the only owner.)

With lots of luggage....

VERNAL, Utah (AP) — A 56-year-old Idaho man has been arrested after authorities in eastern Utah say they found nearly 200 pounds of marijuana in his plane.

Uintah County deputies say they responded to the Vernal Regional Airport about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday after receiving a tip from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Officials say a Naples police K-9 walked around the plane and indicated that there might be drugs inside.

Officers say they obtained a search warrant and found four large duffel bags filled with compressed plastic packages of marijuana.

Uintah County undersheriff John Laursen says authorities found 180 pounds of the drug, which could sell for about $436,000.

Randall Patrick Watson of Meridian was arrested on suspicion of possessing a controlled substance with intent to distribute.

Last edited:
I would guess there are going to be a lot of court action on this plane.

Looks like he roughed the nose wheel fairing up a bit...

Somebody should keep an eye on it in Vernal and pick it up from the seized forefiture sale.

In 2009, it was:

Equipment Specifications Year 1962 Manufacturer CESSNA Model 182 Price US $66,900 Location Englewood, Colorado Condition USED Serial Number 18254387 Registration Number N3387Y Total Time 5349 Hours Overhaul 208 SMOH Flight Rules

And, looks like he flew it a bit in the last week per FlightAware....

bcb4e9a2bd9c350703b9_3.jpg

Ahhhhh...... looks like a crosswind got it in 2002....
In a telephone conversation with an NTSB investigator, the pilot said that although he was landing in a crosswind, he was able to successfully touch down near the center of the runway. But, during the initial part of the landing roll, the aircraft encountered a crosswind gust that was stronger than he had expected. After encountering the gust, the aircraft started veering toward the right side of the runway, and the pilot was unable to maintain directional control. After departing the side of the runway, the aircraft impacted a fence and sustained substantial damage.

According to the pilot, there did not appear to be any mechanical malfunctions or failures in either the aircrafts structure or flight controls.

the first things out of my mouth woud be, "Officer, that is 200lbs of "medical" marijuana....."

We'll it was in Colorado... (reference to the South Park episode)

If you're waiting for it to come up on a seizure sale you'll likely be waiting over a year during which time nobody will have done anything for the plane and very likely the varmints will have taken up residence and destroyed it.:(

There's a beat up and haggard looking 182 here at 11R that the DEA forced down and hauled the guy off.

Now the plane sits abandoned and Ron cusses it everyday because it's in front of his A&P business and it's ugly.

Uintah County deputies say they responded to the Vernal Regional Airport about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday after receiving a tip from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Sometimes searches of random aircraft turn up something. This example will be held up as evidence that these are a "valuable tool" for law enforcement.

There's a beat up and haggard looking 182 here at 11R that the DEA forced down and hauled the guy off.

Now the plane sits abandoned and Ron cusses it everyday because it's in front of his A&P business and it's ugly.

I like the "evidence" sticker on the pilots window. That plane is just rotting there.

Cheech and Chong go to Utah! New reality show starting next week!! ;)

I remember one boat seizure that was a fractional ownership deal and the Feds had to give the boat back to the other partners once it was done being processed as evidence.

I remember one boat seizure that was a fractional ownership deal and the Feds had to give the boat back to the other partners once it was done being processed as evidence.

You ever see any that actually sold and were "bargains"?

I imagine that is the best case scenario, and the feds can hold it a LONG time before deciding to give it back to the other owners. I am sure they had to prove that they weren't involved in any wrongdoings. :dunno:

I imagine that is the best case scenario, and the feds can hold it a LONG time before deciding to give it back to the other owners. I am sure they had to prove that they weren't involved in any wrongdoings. :dunno:

Yes to both, it's not done being processed as evidence until the trial is over and the evidence isn't contested in the appeal. Most everything seized is in holding for at least a year before disposition.

HOly Shniky.... I just worked on that A/C last week. It has a supercharged Fats kit installed. He had a fuel pump out at our field. I thought it was odd that he didn't have back seats installed, but.......:yikes:

HOly Shniky.... I just worked on that A/C last week. It has a supercharged Fats kit installed. He had a fuel pump out at our field. I thought it was odd that he didn't have back seats installed, but.......:yikes:

Hey, one of your friends rarely has back seats installed, and just saves puppies. :(

Are there any witnesses as to whether these alleged puppies are real or are they stuffed???? Hmmmm????

Are there any witnesses as to whether these alleged puppies are real or are they stuffed???? Hmmmm????

Not sure eggzactly what the term "puppies" is code for in the drug smuggling business, but here is a picture of the inside of his suitcases...

25121330.jpg

25121328.jpg

Might not be required to use the term "alleged" puppies. They look like actual "puppies".

We have photographic evidence of cute, fuzzy puppies. :)

As for that 182, sheesh.

Here is what it looked like in Ohio last week!

Attachments

• Drug plane.jpg
    Drug plane.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 80
So, if somebody was going to try and backfill this guy's job to build some cross-country hours, what mistakes did this guy make, and what would be better?

• Would you file flight plans?
  • Would you fly only at night or day time? Or try to time it so landings were after closing hours at the FBO?
  • Self-serve vs full serve gas?
  • How likely is the FAA Ramp Check that putting phoney N-number on the tail would increase the odds of getting caught?
  • Would you have "dyselxia" and always use your radio call sign with the numbers mixed up?
  • IFR vs. VFR?
  • Altitudes?

It seems like every answer to a question above could have "pros" that would make it easier, but "cons" that would start going to the "suspicious" category.

If you saw/heard any of the above behaviours/answers, would you report them?

You get caught because a person you are doing business with got caught and is supplying intel in order to get reduced charges.

You get caught because a person you are doing business with got caught and is supplying intel in order to get reduced charges.

I am guessing that is what got this guy caught.

Just didn't know if there were things he could do. Somewhere I read a story on a guy that did it for years in a twin, finally got busted in PA, if I remember correctly. But, I think he was a bit more sophisticated than this guy.

Probably the source of 50% of law enforcement information is catching someone farther down the chain or a disgruntled ex- wife, co-worker, business partner, neighbor, but ex- something. ;)

So, if somebody was going to try and backfill this guy's job to build some cross-country hours, what mistakes did this guy make, and what would be better?

• Would you file flight plans? Maybe half the time.
  • Would you fly only at night or day time? Day light hours Or try to time it so landings were after closing hours at the FBO? I think that is when law enforcement would look for strange things happening at the local airport.

• Self-serve vs full serve gas? Probably self-serve
  • How likely is the FAA Ramp Check that putting phoney N-number on the tail would increase the odds of getting caught? I think ramp checks are so random that using a fake N number wouldn't be a great idea.
  • Would you have "dyselxia" and always use your radio call sign with the numbers mixed up? Again, I think this would draw attention
  • IFR vs. VFR? most likely VFR, since I wouldn't always file a flight plan
  • Altitudes? normal VFR cruising altitudes.
  • I'll add that I would vary the route and fuel stops.
It seems like every answer to a question above could have "pros" that would make it easier, but "cons" that would start going to the "suspicious" category.

If you saw/heard any of the above behaviours/answers, would you report them?
I have never reported anyone. :dunno:

Back