Gold Seal

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
In the last two years:

PP-ASEL-IIII
Instrument Airplane-III
CFII
MEI
Commercial-ASEL
PP-Glider

and another PP-ASEL tomorrow

Time to fill out paperwork!

and i dont even feel like ive been doing that much instruction

hmm well i guess ill have to get an AGI or IGI too. schedule the written next week.

its a way to renew the CFI certificate, also an indicator that, at least at one time, you were an active CFI. requires an 80% pass rate on at least 10 recommendations for a checkride, and an Advanced or Instrument Ground Instructor certificate

Does the FSDO have to do these, or can a DPE do one too?

Ben, I think that you just submit the info to the FSDO. Ill be emailing Roger on monday and will let you know what I find out.

Wow, that's really cool, Tony. Congratulations!

its a way to renew the CFI certificate, also an indicator that, at least at one time, you were an active CFI. requires an 80% pass rate on at least 10 recommendations for a checkride, and an Advanced or Instrument Ground Instructor certificate
Cool, I learned something today., Well Congratulations!

Last edited:
The possibilities are amazing! :D

But, your spelling errors aren't. :)

Tony, Good deal! When are ya gonna go for MCFI?

well i just rejoined NAFI today, may have to start putting together a portfolio for a Master attempt.

well i just rejoined NAFI today, may have to start putting together a portfolio for a Master attempt.
I joined NAFI five years ago. My cell number had been on the list and I had to remove it because I was getting calls when I wasn't even a CFI. I understand it's back on there now but I haven't looked. Other new CFIs who have listed get a ton of calls and are getting solicited for jobs. It's a great resource.

i enjoy their magazine. only reason i didnt renew last time is because i couldnt afford it. had to buy ramen.

i enjoy their magazine. only reason i didnt renew last time is because i couldnt afford it. had to buy ramen.

Congrats on the Gold Seal!

NAFI's a great resource in many ways for CFIs, and it can actually make them some money with referrals.

Financially, the Master CFI status probably won't return its cost in money and a ton of paperwork, with the possible exception of CFIs paying insurance premiums to a company that will still give a 25% discount to MCFIs.

Financially, the Master CFI status probably won't return its cost in money and a ton of paperwork, with the possible exception of CFIs paying insurance premiums to a company that will still give a 25% discount to MCFIs.

How much does it cost to obtain? If I walked into a FBO needing a flight instructor and looked at the array of business cards I would select the one that said "Master CFI".

How much does it cost to obtain? If I walked into a FBO needing a flight instructor and looked at the array of business cards I would select the one that said "Master CFI".

the application fees and whatnot are somewhere around 150 bucks. joining NAFI is 40.

It took me a LOT of hours to do the paperwork documenting my flight instruction activities in THEIR formats. Just not worth it to me after 4 years.

Businesswise, your average pilot does NOT want to fly with a Master CFI because they just want flight training to the very minimum standards or preferrably to them, below minimum standards. One can however over time, build up a reputation and suitable higher quality student base that could, with insurance savings, pay for the MCFI. It is a great program in concept at least.

You're not going to raise your dual instruction prices because of this, are you?
Just from the questions Tony has answered for me online, I figure he's worth every nickel of another six bits increase. :)

It took me a LOT of hours to do the paperwork documenting my flight instruction activities in THEIR formats. Just not worth it to me after 4 years.

Businesswise, your average pilot does NOT want to fly with a Master CFI because they just want flight training to the very minimum standards or preferrably to them, below minimum standards. One can however over time, build up a reputation and suitable higher quality student base that could, with insurance savings, pay for the MCFI. It is a great program in concept at least.

to me its not about the money spent, or if i will recover that money as a result. I just figure if i've done the work to get the designation i might as well do it.

to me its not about the money spent, or if i will recover that money as a result. I just figure if i've done the work to get the designation i might as well do it.

Yeah, that's about what it comes down to in practical terms.

passed AGI written yesterday. probably try to get an appointment at the FSDO next friday to do the paperwork shuffle.

actually a 91, not to bad for no real organized studying. just a couple of brief practice tests on exams4pilots.org

passed AGI written yesterday. probably try to get an appointment at the FSDO next friday to do the paperwork shuffle.

I don't think you even need an appointment. I just walked in for both my AGI and IGI and walked out 20 minutes later with a certificate in hand.

I don't think you even need an appointment. I just walked in for both my AGI and IGI and walked out 20 minutes later with a certificate in hand.
Don't need one, but between security these days and having someone available to process me, they said that an appointment is recommended, at least as of a year ago.

Don't need one, but between security these days and having someone available to process me, they said that an appointment is recommended, at least as of a year ago.
I recently called the local FSDO to make an appointment to renew my CFI based on "duties and responsibilities" (at work). They told me to come any time during business hours but preferably not during lunch. I was in and out in about 20 minutes. I had never done it that way before and I couldn't believe it was so easy. Of course other FSDOs could be different. This was Denver.

since i wont be living near the FSDO for about a month, i think ill take the security of an appointment. glad to hear about good service at the FSDO's though!

FSDOs are generally pretty decent unless you're a flight school being inspected. One was shut down at PDK this week.

Back