Going to therapy

B

Bigwheel 88

I am a commercial pilot, went through training and it left me a little on edge. Feel a lot better now that I am through with training. But I have developed this weird breathing pattern that tires out my diagram. My doc told me it's just stress, but now it's kinda in my head. I was curious if I going to a therapist just work on my stress management is a reportable/groundable event?

If the training that put you on edge and caused you to be stressed out was flight training, yeah you need to self ground.

Try the simple stuff first, if you have not already - healthier diet, decent amount of sleep, regular exercise, cut back on the coffee & alcohol, that sort of thing.

If the flight training is the source of the acute stress, is this really what you want to do in life?

thanks for the replies. This definitely isn't my first time through training. Its never really been a problem until now and anyone who says they don't get stressed out through training is a liar. The flying really isn't what has caused me stress, like I said before it was left me with some bad breathing habits that my doc told me are stressed related.

thanks for the replies. This definitely isn't my first time through training. Its never really been a problem until now and anyone who says they don't get stressed out through training is a liar. The flying really isn't what has caused me stress, like I said before it was left me with some bad breathing habits that my doc told me are stressed related.

Granted I'm only training for the PPL but training has been everything but stressful for me. I'm enjoying the hell out of it and can't wait for the next lesson. It's a getaway from stress.

Only thing less stressful is a vacation on a lake with a beer and a fishing pole...

I don't know about the medical requirements but I definitely think you need some help with this.

Last edited:
I am a commercial pilot, went through training and it left me a little on edge. Feel a lot better now that I am through with training. But I have developed this weird breathing pattern that tires out my diagram. My doc told me it's just stress, but now it's kinda in my head. I was curious if I going to a therapist just work on my stress management is a reportable/groundable event?

If you intend to use your commercial to fly for money, limit yourself at first to jobs that do not involve passengers. You need to convey calm competence to people who do not know you but are relying on your skills and abilities for transportation. When you can fly without this problem manifesting itself, broaden your horizons. And yes, it would be a reportable event.

Bob Gardner

Yoga. Seriously. It helps with my blood pressure.

That's what my wife suggested. I don't want to alarm anyone, I'm not fearful of flying. I've been at this a long time. Through multiple training events, type ratings,but for some reason I am not dealing with stress as well as I was in the past due to family pressure. I think I'll dial the AME and see what he tells me. Therapy is something I have always wanted to try anyway due to some truama in childhood but i could take it or leave it.

You have type ratings?

If flying changes your breathing, thats some major stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back