going to Kauai - want to rent w/ Instructor

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
Wifey FINALLY decided she wanted to go someplace we have never been - mind you - that list is pretty damn small at this point - and after owning property on Maui, after at least 20-25 trips there - we are going to Kauai in about a moth. 25th Wedding anniversary . . . amazing these days, huh?

Anyone used any particular place? Is there only one? Want to rent a plane and an instructor for 90 or to Island tour - I'll end up ziplining, I'll end up prob flying the weight shift flying lawn chairs at some point - but so want to take a self-piloted island tour - been a decade since I flew in Hawaii and thankfully the winds on Kauai are not like they were on Maui the last time I went - musta been 40knots effectively down the runway - needed to power to land - I think the ATIS was reporting 22G32 but I decided to put it down about 500' from the turn off intersection to the GA side of OGG. Again needed power to get there!

Anyway - anyone else?

I've searched the forums and the last few relevant posts were in 2008 and 2009 . . .

It's amazing how inexpensive it can be at the last minute . .. and for Hawaii 4 weeks is last min it appears -

First Class airfare, plus 5 star accommodations for $4200 ... 8 nights.

I haven't been to Kauai since the 80's, still think about it though. What an awesome place it was then.

That price is amazing, I'm going to have to start looking for deals last minute.

If you find my recent posts about our trip to Kauai (24 years for us), we took a biplane island tour. If you are going by yourself (without your bride) for the flight, Kevin will install the front stick and you'll get time in the Waco. Search Google and POA for Tropical Biplanes. He's merged his operations with Air Ventures or something like that... At Lihue airport.

Last edited:
We visit Kauai twice a year. The only rental I found is right next to Air Ventures at Lihue airport. They require their CFI ride along with you. I can't remember the name of the company but I'll look for their card. Message me if you'd like info on excursions or events. My wife and I love Kauai.

We visit Kauai twice a year. The only rental I found is right next to Air Ventures at Lihue airport. They require their CFI ride along with you. I can't remember the name of the company but I'll look for their card. Message me if you'd like info on excursions or events. My wife and I love Kauai.

By the way, when you go to the airport for your flight, get there about 90 minutes early so you can continue east/NE past the tour helicopters and Air Ventures facility about a half mile to a rock sea wall and old pier that seems to be known only to the locals. Great views of the airplanes, the sea crashing on the sea wall, and looking inland. The lady behind the desk at Air Ventures pointed us down there as our flight was delayed for about 45 minutes, and it kept us occupied nicely!

By the way, when you go to the airport for your flight, get there about 90 minutes early so you can continue east/NE past the tour helicopters and Air Ventures facility about a half mile to a rock sea wall and old pier that seems to be known only to the locals. Great views of the airplanes, the sea crashing on the sea wall, and looking inland. The lady behind the desk at Air Ventures pointed us down there as our flight was delayed for about 45 minutes, and it kept us occupied nicely!

I'll have to remember that the next time we're on Kauai.

When I was there a couple of years ago there were no solo rentals available on the island so I went on a "tour" with Bruce at Wings Over Kauai in the 172. It was just me and I think it cost about $180 or something like that. Now, Bruce will let you fly the plane but really - the scenery was so spectacular, especially the Na Pali coast, that you may just want to enjoy it and take pictures. I mean a 172 doesn't fly any different in Hawaii than over Peoria Illinois.

There are lots of interesting historical and trivia spots packed onto that tiny island. Right after take-off Bruce would point out "That's the hotel where Elvis filmed Blue Hawaii, that's the beach where they crashed the Beaver in Six Days and Seven Nights, that's the waterfall in the beginning of Jurassic Park, that's the waterfall in Fantasy Island, that's where the ancient Hawaiian royalty lived....

When I was there a couple of years ago there were no solo rentals available on the island so I went on a "tour" with Bruce at Wings Over Kauai in the 172. It was just me and I think it cost about $180 or something like that. Now, Bruce will let you fly the plane but really - the scenery was so spectacular, especially the Na Pali coast, that you may just want to enjoy it and take pictures. I mean a 172 doesn't fly any different in Hawaii than over Peoria Illinois.

There are lots of interesting historical and trivia spots packed onto that tiny island. Right after take-off Bruce would point out "That's the hotel where Elvis filmed Blue Hawaii, that's the beach where they crashed the Beaver in Six Days and Seven Nights, that's the waterfall in the beginning of Jurassic Park, that's the waterfall in Fantasy Island, that's where the ancient Hawaiian royalty lived....

Every time I've flown in Hawaii I've skipped the checkout and have taken the CFI along. As you note, they make great tour guides and as an added benefit they can pronounce the reporting points on the radio. I can't. :D

Cool data anomaly. Or a black hole.

Go to Lihue, Hawaii on Google Maps... find the airport. Find runway 35... follow Ninini Point Street to the south end of the road. Turn on Earth mode. Just to the left of the spur is an oval shaped anomaly. Grab the mouse in the middle of the map and move it around... left and right, up and down.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenShot695.png
    ScreenShot695.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
I had a few consulting gigs in Hong Kong and that was a neat place to visit as is South China. When you go that far by air they allow you at no extra charge to spend up to 30 days at a stop over somewhere in the pacific. I took the free stop over in Hawaii so I could sail and see the tourist thing. I had friends there and family but usually stayed in one of the nice hotels on the beach.

But I hated Hawaii. It seems like a high priced Japanese colony. Over priced, little to do other than normal Southern California stuff but at 3x the cost. Not particularly good food. The natives are not particularly attractive like they are portrayed in movies, what a disappointment.

Joe I been to much of Asia, Australia and bit of Europe but I have to say Hawaii is my biggest disappointment. I'd rather get a tax audit then sit on an airplane 6-8 hrs from CA to Hawaii.

I wish you luck, you obviously love it. I just had to vent a little.

I had a few consulting gigs in Hong Kong and that was a neat place to visit as is South China. When you go that far by air they allow you at no extra charge to spend up to 30 days at a stop over somewhere in the pacific. I took the free stop over in Hawaii so I could sail and see the tourist thing. I had friends there and family but usually stayed in one of the nice hotels on the beach.

But I hated Hawaii. It seems like a high priced Japanese colony. Over priced, little to do other than normal Southern California stuff but at 3x the cost. Not particularly good food. The natives are not particularly attractive like they are portrayed in movies, what a disappointment.

Joe I been to much of Asia, Australia and bit of Europe but I have to say Hawaii is my biggest disappointment. I'd rather get a tax audit then sit on an airplane 6-8 hrs from CA to Hawaii.

I wish you luck, you obviously love it. I just had to vent a little.

SPAM's biggest consumer is Hawaii, what did you expect?:)

Sounds like you were in Honolulu?

You should price something like a gallon of milk or a Christmas tree there.

I expected a little guy in white tux to say "da plane, da plane." I also expected some of the girls to not look like lunch meat.

At least in Miami South beach some of the tourist are attractive, can't say the same for the locals.

SPAM's biggest consumer is Hawaii, what did you expect?:)

Sounds like you were in Honolulu?

You should price something like a gallon of milk or a Christmas tree there.

Last edited:
Cool data anomaly. Or a black hole.

Go to Lihue, Hawaii on Google Maps... find the airport. Find runway 35... follow Ninini Point Street to the south end of the road. Turn on Earth mode. Just to the left of the spur is an oval shaped anomaly. Grab the mouse in the middle of the map and move it around... left and right, up and down.

attachment.php

My daughter discovered it is a wormhole. The Navy has been up to some serious ****. Double click in the bottom of the hole and you'll be randomly transported to another part of the planet, a different place each time you try.

My daughter discovered it is a wormhole. The Navy has been up to some serious ****. Double click in the bottom of the hole and you'll be randomly transported to another part of the planet, a different place each time you try.

All right. I clicked on it. Is it still 10/15/13?

Every time I've flown in Hawaii I've skipped the checkout and have taken the CFI along. As you note, they make great tour guides and as an added benefit they can pronounce the reporting points on the radio. I can't. :D

I agree with this - its how I do it unless I have three people to take to a different island for the day -

I expected a little guy in white tux to say "da plane, da plane." I also expected some of the girls to not look like lunch meat.

Wrong island. That waterfall is on Kauai. :D

I agree with this - its how I do it unless I have three people to take to a different island for the day -

I've either been alone in the plane with the CFI or I've had my wife in the back seat, so this hasn't been an issue. If I had three other people with me I'd get the checkout and then go, too.

Back