Going to do the Commercial Multi-Instrument Add-On

AcroGimp

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AcroGimp
So a flying friend has his MEII, another flying friend has a Beech C-45, and yet another friend has a company that does KA and Citation Type Rating and manages aircraft (who has asked if I had a Comm-Multi and if I wanted to fly right seat in KA 200's), so somehow I integrated all that into the decision today to earn my Commercial Multi-Instrument Add-On.

Already hold COMM-ASEL/Instr/HP/Compl/TW, and will include an IPC as part of the overall activity since I haven't flown IFR (Actual or Simulated, other than on FSX) in years.

Expecting to use the trusty BE-76 Duchess, probably get started in the next week or two with a target to complete within 3-4 weeks from start.

Will post updates as the process unfolds.

'Gimp

So a flying friend has his MEII, another flying friend has a Beech C-45, and yet another friend has a company that does KA and Citation Type Rating and manages aircraft (who has asked if I had a Comm-Multi and if I wanted to fly right seat in KA 200's), so somehow I integrated all that into the decision today to earn my Commercial Multi-Instrument Add-On.

Already hold COMM-ASEL/Instr/HP/Compl/TW, and will include an IPC as part of the overall activity since I haven't flown IFR (Actual or Simulated, other than on FSX) in years.

Expecting to use the trusty BE-76 Duchess, probably get started in the next week or two with a target to complete within 3-4 weeks from start.

Will post updates as the process unfolds.

'Gimp

Heck, use the C-45, once the Tailwheel is locked it's as sweet as it gets. Taxi takes a bit to get used to, but the flying is great.

Got my in a duchess,did it in a busy week end with home study before arriving at the school.

It will probably be the shortest and easiest checkride you have taken yet.

Interesting, not what I would expect. Care to expand on this a little ?

'Gimp

Well you already have the commercial and instrument so you have already proven you can fly. The oral should pretty much be just to multi-engine flight/aerodynamics, systems and performance/weight & balance(YMMV with examiner, but generally that is the bulk).

You probably won't have to talk about IFR regulations, weather, do a divert, pilotage, or dead reckoning. He shouldn't take out a sectional and start asking, "What is this magenta dashed line?"

All engine maneuvers are pretty simple.
  • Normal & Short T/O & Landing
  • Slow Flight, Steep Turns, and Stalls
  • Emergency Descent

Single Engine Stuff
  • Failure on T/O before Vmc
  • Failure after liftoff
  • Single engine maneuvering
  • Vmc Demo
  • Instrument flight
  • Instrument Approach

You aren't learning an entirely new skill set like you are with the private or the instrument rating. Just building upon what you already know like the commercial. But even then the general commercial knowledge you have already been tested on with the initial single engine. Sure, the examiner has free rein to quiz you on whatever he desires. But most generally stick to what is required. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared for some oddball general knowledge questions, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised and how much easier it was than you expected. When I ask the majority of people what they thought was the easiest checkride, multi-engine is the one I hear most often.

Last edited:
Well you already have the commercial and instrument so you have already proven you can fly. The oral should pretty much be just to multi-engine flight/aerodynamics, systems and performance/weight & balance(YMMV with examiner, but generally that is the bulk).

You probably won't have to talk about IFR regulations, weather, do a divert, pilotage, or dead reckoning. He shouldn't take out a sectional and start asking, "What is this magenta dashed line?"

All engine maneuvers are pretty simple.
  • Normal & Short T/O & Landing
  • Slow Flight, Steep Turns, and Stalls
  • Emergency Descent

Single Engine Stuff
  • Failure on T/O before Vmc
  • Failure after liftoff
  • Single engine maneuvering
  • Vmc Demo
  • Instrument flight
  • Instrument Approach
You aren't learning an entirely new skill set like you are with the private or the instrument rating. Just building upon what you already know like the commercial. But even then the general commercial knowledge you have already been tested on with the initial single engine. Sure, the examiner has free rein to quiz you on whatever he desires. But most generally stick to what is required. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared for some oddball general knowledge questions, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised and how much easier it was than you expected. When I ask the majority of people what they thought was the easiest checkride, multi-engine is the one I hear most often.
Thanks for the 'splanation - always nice to know things might not be as tough as initially suspected.

'Gimp

My total time after the checkride was 8 hours. The Duchess is easy to fly and the speeds are easy to memorize.

Back