Going to be at Jabara (AAO) Wednesday 8/26 - what to do?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
Looks like I will be at Jabara Airport, KS this coming Wednesday for a few hours. Will be from about 9 AM - noon. Could be shorter, could be longer. I will have access to a courtesy car (I hope), and was wondering if there's anything interesting to see or do that's close by (since I may need to get back quickly).

Thanks!

Don't trust them to tie your plane down. Do it yourself if you want it to be done right. Other than that, they have a nice FBO and friendly staff. See? Not much to see.

Lunch at Bite Me BBQ is great. Get the rib plate. I am now spoiled and have been disappointed everywhere else I go to have ribs. My trip to KC last month was disappointing. I thought they were supposed to have the world's best ribs...Bite Me BBQ has them beat.

Attachments

• AAO Chains.PNG
    AAO Chains.PNG
    613 KB · Views: 17
Looks like I will be at Jabara Airport, KS this coming Wednesday for a few hours. Will be from about 9 AM - noon. Could be shorter, could be longer. I will have access to a courtesy car (I hope), and was wondering if there's anything interesting to see or do that's close by (since I may need to get back quickly).

Thanks!

Look for DreamLifter skid marks? :D

What kind of things are you interested in?
Lots of stores and restaurants down Rock Rd.
Chisholm Creek Park is close by and has several miles of great walking paths.
The Kansas Aviation Museum is about 25 minutes away but worth it if you have time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Go to Knolla's Pizza East (Central and Rock Road) - best pizza, sandwiches and salads in town but I might be biased (my family owns it).

Not a whole lot of stuff to do/see on that side of town, some shopping maybe.

Wichita is a great place to be from - says the guy living in San Diego.

'Gimp

Pretty sure the restaurant at stearman will be open if you want an early lunch.

Thanks for the responses all. I will be filling my occasional role as "contract pilot" and so need to stay pretty close to the airport in case the passenger's business gets done early...

Lunch at Bite Me BBQ is great. Get the rib plate.

Sounds great, but sadly looks like it doesn't open until 11, not enough time for me.

Look for DreamLifter skid marks? :D

I'll keep an eye out!

The Kansas Aviation Museum is about 25 minutes away but worth it if you have time.

I've been there, and it is a nice museum!

Go to Knolla's Pizza East (Central and Rock Road) - best pizza, sandwiches and salads in town but I might be biased (my family owns it).

Sadly, also apparently not open until 11.

Go a little farther northeast to Stearman Estates. They have a restaurant on field but I'm not sure if it is open then.

Pretty sure the restaurant at stearman will be open if you want an early lunch.

That may be what I'll do. Their website says they are open. I have to land at Jabara, but Stearman looks like it's about a 15 minute drive away. I've been to Stearman Field before, but didn't eat at the restaurant.

Back