Going to Anchorage, AK tomorrow

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
I'm going to Anchorage, AK for work tomorrow and staying through the weeked. Is there anything to see and do this time of year?

Anthony said:
I'm going to Anchorage, AK for work tomorrow and staying through the weeked. Is there anything to see and do this time of year?

Portage Glacier is fun... and there is plenty of Alaska itself to see. From Anchorage, all you have to do is drive half an hour or so, and you'll be in Alaska :D

The Great Alaska Bush Company, and Chilkoot Charlies, assuming they are still there. They are not family entertainment, butwere fun for a single young man in his mid-20s.

Might be able to drive a bit and get some fishing done, but I don't know what a license would run an out of stater. Shouldn't be too early for that.

I'm jealous. Of all the places I've lived, Anchorage has been my favorite by far.

Joe Williams said:
The Great Alaska Bush Company, and Chilkoot Charlies, assuming they are still there. They are not family entertainment, butwere fun for a single young man in his mid-20s.

Or PJ's. OK, that was in the late 1970s, so who knows if that place is still in business? :D

All you guys can think of to suggest is bars? C'Mon, it's ALASKA!

Anthony, unfortunately, you have chosen the worst time to come visit Anchorage. :) We are in the middle of something called "break-up", which is when it starts raining and the snow and ice on the roads (and trails) is melting and turning into mud. All the dog poo from the long winter is now thawing out also. :)

Despite the warm weather in town, the skiing in the mountains is still pretty good around here. Alyeska ski resort is about a 40-minute drive (down the Seward Highway, the most beautiful highway in the world) in the town of Girdwood. The hiking trails will be a bit sloppy, but if you've got boots that can handle it, I can make all kinds of suggestions for trails in Chugach State Park.

I am leaving town myself on Saturday night. It is supposed to snow/rain at least until Wednesday, but if the weather clears up and I have some free time I might try to squeeze in a short flight before I leave town. What should I put you down for in the weight & balance? ;)

Feel free to PM or email
kath at UAA dot Alaska dot edu.

--Kath

P.S.
my favorites are:
Snow Goose Restaurant/Brewpub
Glacier Brewery
Humpy's (great local live music on weekends)

Last edited:
PPS There is a huge "Sportsman's Trade Show" thing (hunting, fishing, etc.) going on in town this weekend if you're into that kind of thing.

PPPS: the musical "Cats" is also playing this weekend. :)

--Kath

kath said:
Anthony, unfortunately, you have chosen the worst time to come visit Anchorage. :) We are in the middle of something called "break-up", which is when it starts raining and the snow and ice on the roads (and trails) is melting and turning into mud. All the dog poo from the long winter is now thawing out also. :)

Kath, I have no choice as its for work and my comany is sending me. Oh well.

Despite the warm weather in town, the skiing in the mountains is still pretty good around here. Alyeska ski resort is about a 40-minute drive (down the Seward Highway, the most beautiful highway in the world) in the town of Girdwood.

He he. I live in Denver, Colorado. World class skiing is an hour away.

I am leaving town myself on Saturday night. It is supposed to snow/rain at least until Wednesday, but if the weather clears up and I have some free time I might try to squeeze in a short flight before I leave town. What should I put you down for in the weight & balance? ;)

Feel free to PM or email
kath at UAA dot Alaska dot edu.

--Kath

P.S.
my favorites are:
Snow Goose Restaurant/Brewpub
Glacier Brewery
Humpy's (great local live music on weekends)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kath! I will if I can get away from work. Usually on these trips I see the airport (not GA), hotel and the office. Sigh. :(

Weight and balance? I'm 185 lbs, but I always fly with several steamer trunks of survival gear! (just kidding about the gear)

Take a Drive around Lake Hood and Merrill Field. Just remember that the nice thing about Anchorage is that it is only an hour away for Alaska!;)

Drive up to Talkeetna and take a Mountain tour.

You got to have more time to see things in this state I have been here for almost 30 years and my list is still long.

Ghery said:
Or PJ's. OK, that was in the late 1970s, so who knows if that place is still in business? :D

I don't think so. The bush company is still there. I never been there.

Been in Chilkoot's is still open too.

Tim said:
Take a Drive around Lake Hood and Merrill Field. .............Drive up to Talkeetna and take a Mountain tour.

I agree with this advice. I go up to ANC every two months and I never tire of taking a jog around Lake Hood and looking at the Helio's, 185's, Beavers and even the Gippsland Airvan at the CAP base. That Airvan is all of the things I love about the 206 but is better in some ways (I would miss the sound of my I0-520 though).

I would suggest you walk (or jog if you're into that) around the Lake. You can run down all of the restricted (to cars) areas and see more of the cool stuff.

Chris

Anthony, you may want to PM Joe (JRITT) as he lived in Alaska for years albeit I'm not sure what part.

Tim said:
I don't think so. The bush company is still there. I never been there.

Been in Chilkoot's is still open too.

Not much of a loss. It worked when I worked for the Navy. It wouldn't do now.

Agree with Chris206 that the best thing you can do with a couple of free hours in Anchorage is to walk/jog around Lake Hood. Just incredible. A good start/stop point is the former Regal Alaskan Hotel. I believe it's the Millenium now. Anyway, they have a patio outside the bar where on nice days you can have a beer and free popcorn and watch the Beavers rumble in low overhead on their approaches.

DoubleD said:
Agree with Chris206 that the best thing you can do with a couple of free hours in Anchorage is to walk/jog around Lake Hood. Just incredible. A good start/stop point is the former Regal Alaskan Hotel. I believe it's the Millenium now. Anyway, they have a patio outside the bar where on nice days you can have a beer and free popcorn and watch the Beavers rumble in low overhead on their approaches.

Sounds like a plane, I mean plan. Thanks guys!

Anthony,
I'll trade you some buffalo for some salmon!

The Alaskian Airmens Muesum is a must see at the south end of lake Hood.

NC19143 said:
The Alaskian Airmens Muesum is a must see at the south end of lake Hood.

Oh yeah. Floatplanes. I must see floatplanes!!! :yes:

Joe Williams said:
Portage Glacier is fun... and there is plenty of Alaska itself to see. From Anchorage, all you have to do is drive half an hour or so, and you'll be in Alaska :D

Might be able to drive a bit and get some fishing done, but I don't know what a license would run an out of stater. Shouldn't be too early for that.

I'm jealous. Of all the places I've lived, Anchorage has been my favorite by far.

I have a Great Alaska Bush Company shirt a friend got me while TDY'd up there. Needless to say, it sits in the closet where Jessie can't find it :D

Cheers,

-Andrew

Joe Williams said:
Heck with the salmon... I'd kill for some fresh halibut!

Hmmm slamon and chips. Halibut steaks hmmmmm. Best fish in the US is up there. If you scuba dive I recomend doing that. It is best in early spring or winter before the plankton blooms. Excellent vis and giant stuff to see. At dusk the crabs come crawling up form the deep and will scare the bejesus out of you. Check with these guys http://www.divealaska.net/ if you can and want to do this

Well, I'm here and working. Sigh...

Scott, I'm only here unitl Monday, so no time to dive unfortunately. I think we're going to drive to Seward on Saturday if weather in the passes is OK.

The Drive to Seward.

Attachments

• Aloaska Trip 99 009.jpg
    Aloaska Trip 99 009.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Aloaska Trip 99 013.jpg
    Aloaska Trip 99 013.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 11
The Kenai Fjords tours in Seward are pricey but VERY good (if you like whales).
Stop on the way to see the Portage Glacier, because in 5 or 10 years it might not exist anymore...:(
Keep your eyes open for moose and drive carefully!

--Kath

Back