Going into a college flight program with private licence

^^^^ oh wow - I didn't realize he needed the actual professional flight degree to get the R-ATP. I thought you just had to attend the school and do their flight program. My mistake.

A guy with a CFI and some business skills could do very well around a metro area. The number of business contacts I met while instructing and flying Cirri in the Boston area was insane. My view: go to a respected Econ/business school in a metro area and get your certs on the side.
This is what I did. I just graduated in May with a Bachelor's in Economics and flew on the side. I'm debating whether or not to get an MBA.

. . .

I got so many great replies in this thread I though you guys deserved an update and feel free to post suggestions or any info you have about either UND or WMU.

Thanks,

Sam
No suggestions here - just wishing you good luck. It is good to see you did some research. I am trying to guide my college age daughter through some carrer choices.
Check in from time to time and let us know how you are doing.

One thing the 'professional flight' program has over 'training on the side' is the fast track to ratings and hours. Regardless of whether a candidate gets hired or not, your qualifications box gets filled faster. The big name flight programs usually have connections to get one started. Of course where one ends up is dependent on the individual.

My view is that the difference between the pro schools and their 1000 hour R-ATP and the Part 61 1500 hour R-ATP is less than six months. I was clocking 100+ hours a month as a full time flight instructor. The debt difference, however, is quite large.

This is what I did. I just graduated in May with a Bachelor's in Economics and flew on the side. I'm debating whether or not to get an MBA.

Wait a few years, then come back to it. The things I learned in my MBA would not have sunk in as well if I were just out of school...

Update: Got accepted into UND this past weekend. Four days after I sent in my application they called on Sunday to tell me. Very exciting! Still waiting to hear back from WMU and OSU. Leaning UND right now but we'll see.

Update: Got accepted into UND this past weekend. Four days after I sent in my application they called on Sunday to tell me. Very exciting! Still waiting to hear back from WMU and OSU. Leaning UND right now but we'll see.

Congratulations. I've got twin sons going through this process as well. It must feel nice to have one in the bag already.

Congrats.

Regarding the question you asked in your original post, did they tell you whether entering with a private pilot cert would change anything?

Congrats.

Regarding the question you asked in your original post, did they tell you whether entering with a private pilot cert would change anything?

At UND and WMU you have to take an abbreviated ppl ground school and some familiarization lessons to learn their procedures and the G1000. About 7 lessons they told me at UND. Western is a bit more because you need to learn the G1000 and Avidyne system since their Sr20s have both.

At college aviation program such as UND, OSU, Purdue, WMU... what happens to incoming students who already have a private certificate? Is there an abbrivated course of some sort or a ground school class one must take before getting credit for the PPL and moving to the next flight course? Does it matter if the PPL was obtained from a part 61 or 141 school prior to starting college? All the information letters and packets I've gotten have been vaugue on this subject so I hope someone here can help me out.
Thanks!

At Quincy University, they accepted my PPL no problem at all. I started on my instrument day one. This allowed me to add a finance major and still be able to graduate on time.

So, does it save you much time and money, to have the cert?

I know a pilot who started University of Dubuque (another aviation college) with his private and instrument, along with a bunch of community college credits in various general education subjects. It saved him two full years at the expensive university.

Yes it saves time and money. The transitional courses are only a few more than are needed anyway to learn procedure and the G1000. Plus I got my PPL for much less than it would have cost at UND and certainly Western.

*****Update*****
UND it is. The amazing program and campus plus having the CFI and II plus the CRJ FTD courses included in the program flight costs (an extra 20k+ at Western) made UND an easy choice. Also in state tuition after living there a full year makes it even better. Still deciding what my 2nd major will be but I'm very excited for fall 2016! Gonna need some warm clothes :hairraise:

Sam

*****Update*****
UND it is. The amazing program and campus plus having the CFI and II plus the CRJ FTD courses included in the program flight costs (an extra 20k+ at Western) made UND an easy choice. Also in state tuition after living there a full year makes it even better. Still deciding what my 2nd major will be but I'm very excited for fall 2016! Gonna need some warm clothes :hairraise:

Sam

Glad to hear you made a decision.

I currently attend UND, so feel free to PM me with questions.

Back