Going for my Recreational Pilot's Certificate... questions

I don't know the exact requirements for doing a Multi ATP SES add on either, I can teach it. But I'd have to look it up and find a DPE that can do it as well. This is going to be the case for all the rarer ratings, and you have picked one of the rarest.

Meeting of the CFI's?
Like a union meeting?

More likely the local flight school pulled their employees together and made a decision, although I've never met a flight school that wouldn't accept money.

That doesn’t even sound likely. Lol the local CFI meeting. Good one.

It's not just local though. The Secret Society of CFIs is not well known as no one has infiltrated their ranks as of yet. What we do know though is that members take a blood oath and membership is for life. We also know they control the very fabric of aviation through carefully controlled and regulated instruction activities. They view the Rec Pilot program as a threat to their future and as such have been out to destroy it. Seems despite their efforts, 220 individuals have still been able to get the certificate. Chesterpal will be the 221st... this is his story.

...When I spoke with my CFI yesterday, a fellow with a long time CFI history, he told me at a meeting of local CFI's held about five years ago it was decided, as a group, they would not offer to train someone looking to get a Rec pilot certificate.

Does that sound ethical to you?
Sounds like a sound business decision. With the low, almost non-existent demand for Rec Pilot training, why would a CFI spend the time and money for training and certification?

@@
Because it's the same exact training path as the private pilot sans the extra cross country, night flying and some of the hood work for basic instrument. There is no reason I can see for a CFI worth his salt not to know it.

When I spoke with my CFI yesterday, a fellow with a long time CFI history, he told me at a meeting of local CFI's held about five years ago it was decided, as a group, they would not offer to train someone looking to get a Rec pilot certificate.

Does that sound ethical to you?

In any case, I have found at least one school that is more than willing to teach it.

Apparently, he did not make it to that meeting : )

Still waiting to hear back from a few others.

Just because you want to do something and it’s legal doesn’t mean a CFI has to empower you.

Last edited:
Thanks, Peter, for the test outline. I will need to find out what the check ride person for my airport uses so we are on the same page when it comes time to take the test.

They must test to that PTS to issue you a Rec Pilot certificate. However, as you and others have noted, you may have difficulty finding a CFI willing to issue that certificate.

You think this is bad, try to find a local Gyro DPE ;)

Sounds like a sound business decision. With the low, almost non-existent demand for Rec Pilot training, why would a CFI spend the time and money for training and certification?

Sounds like a stupid business decision. What time and money does the CFI have to spend? He's teaching the same things in the same aircraft as PP, just omitting a few. Why turn away a paying customer?

A regular CFI (non-sport Pilot) requires no additional training or certification to train someone for a recreational pilot certificate. The DPE does the checkride. The FAA issues the certificate. All the limitations are born by the certificate holder. I’m not aware of any conspiracy:)

I'd get a PPL or Sport. In fact, there is work going on now at the FAA to basically put any trainer type aircraft into the sport category.

They must test to that PTS to issue you a Rec Pilot certificate. However, as you and others have noted, you may have difficulty finding a CFI willing to issue that certificate.

As I already posted, I have at least one school more than willing to teach the Rec course and I have a meeting with another school who is also offering the Rec course, now.

Do you have a willing DPE?

A good question. I'm sure you can find one somewhere in the US, but it might be very hard. Getting time with a DPE for the usual PPL is hard enough. It shouldn't matter, it should be easy for a DPE to give a check ride. Should be easy for a DPE to do a Sport check ride, but finding one of those is hard as well.

I think a better way to phrase this is "start looking for a DPE for Rec now".

Another thought for you. As a guy at the door step of 60, I too was concerned about the night flying portion. Hey, I'm not an eagle eyed 20 year old anymore. But I found it to be a lot better than I thought. In many ways, it was easier to find things. I'm not planning on flying at night, but if I did find myself out after dark, I know what to do.

Just putting that out there in the long shot that it was a key to holding you back from the PPL rating (you mentioned it once or twice).

Just to add a few thoughts for the OP:
I'd fall in the camp of strongly recommending to go on with Private pilot, but I'd never simply refuse to train a Rec pilot student.
Yes, seems silly that the instructor's "club" would refuse to work with Rec pilot students. As mentioned, it really is the same PPL maneuvers and subject matter, minus the cross country, night, and instrument flight time. It shouldn't be any extra burden for CFI's or an examiner, at all.
In my experience, the biggest glitch in the concept of the rec pilot license, is that I have yet to train any students that would really be ready for any kind of checkride with only 30 hours (or, for that matter, only a very few Private pilot students are ready at the 40 hour minimum. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's not the norm for the average Part 61 one-lesson-per-week student.)
After required fundamentals, part of the checkride quality proficiency comes from what I'd call just general stick time. More time at the controls, x-number of "extra" run-ups, takeoffs, landings, and just more hobbs hours to get comfortable, all adds up. So, if, after 30 hours, a student still needs 10-15 more, why not make some of those hours at night, some cross-country trips, etc.?
It's too bad you have to choose which path when it comes to the knowledge test, otherwise your idea of going ahead with the Private knowledge exam would be good. I might still recommend, continue with training, delaying your decision as long as is practical, to see how things look at, say, the 20-25 hour mark. It may provide a different perspective. That said, it all comes down to personal choice, deciding what will work best for your situation. Whichever you choose, welcome aboard, and.....happy flying!

Back