Going for 3rd class renewal after taking no-fly meds for sciatica.

cruiserandmax

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
cruiserandmax
My medical was due for renewal in November of 2019. Just before renewal I pulled a muscle in my lower back which lead to sciatica. The pain was so severe that my GP prescribed two drugs to try independently of each other- Gabapentin and Cyclobenzaprine. I found the Gabapentin to be very effective, and the cyclobenzaprine not so much. I ended up taking Gapapentin for about 7 weeks. That combined with physical therapy completely got me through the sciatica.

I have been feeling great since mid January, but due to family things, COVID, and loosing access to the 182 I normally fly I haven't gotten around to renewing the medical. It now looks like I will again have access to an airplane so I want to renew but I do not want to screw it up!

Exactly what information should I get (letter?) from my doctor who did the prescribing of the drugs to bring with me for my FAA medical exam? Also when I make my appointment for the FAA medical, are there any other precautions I should take just in case my situation is more complicated than I think it will be? ie- assuming I have to enter info about the Gabapentin and Cyclobenzaprine on the application, should I print a PDF of the application vs fully digitally submitting it?

Any reason not to do Basic Med, have your GP do the exam, and not worry what the FAA thinks?

should I print a PDF of the application vs fully digitally submitting it?
Keeping a PDF copy of a MedXpress submission is a good idea.

Makes it simple to return to at a later date. Especially when you want to copy and paste information such as doctor visits and lengthy explanations to medical history items

I don't see why you should have a problem since you no longer take meds. Lots of us have taken pain meds after surgery and have renewed our 3rd class . I would definitely print a PDF of your application.

Just document 90 days off. Use pharmacy records, doc's records, whatever have you.....

How do you document a negative?

How do you document a negative?

you can print off pharmacy records which will show the last time the med was filled. Even the FAA should be able to navigate through that.

you can print off pharmacy records which will show the last time the med was filled. Even the FAA should be able to navigate through that.
From every pharmacy in the world?

not seeing how showing a last filling at pharmacy x proves anything at all.

So if provided 30 days of tablets, filled June 1, the 90 day clock starts July 1. Correct?

From every pharmacy in the world?

not seeing how showing a last filling at pharmacy x proves anything at all.

I think the note from the doc that thing has resolved, no more rx for the drug should suffice.

Do if provided, 30 days of tablets, filled June 1, the 90 day clock starts July 1. Correct?

It shows the time the script was filled, not the last time he swallowed one. In the first post, he says...

I found the Gabapentin to be very effective, and the cyclobenzaprine not so much. I ended up taking Gapapentin for about 7 weeks.

7 weeks is more than a 30 day script and less than a 90 day one. And he apparently stopped the cyclobenzaprine sooner because it didn't help. So he still has a supply of both, and could theoretically take some tomorrow. So I don't see how pharmacy records proves time off the meds.

Service ceiling on the "new" airplane is 23,500ft- that's the main reason.

Are you seriously planning to fly above 18,000 all that often? Seems to me Basic Med is your best bet unless you have a true need to be that high. Remember you should be wearing on oxygen mask and/or in a pressurized cabin to be in the flight levels regardless of the plane's service ceiling.
Jon

So if provided 30 days of tablets, filled June 1, the 90 day clock starts July 1. Correct?

It shows the time the script was filled, not the last time he swallowed one. In the first post, he says...

along with a note from his dr stating when he discontinued them, yes.

7 weeks is more than a 30 day script and less than a 90 day one. And he apparently stopped the cyclobenzaprine sooner because it didn't help. So he still has a supply of both, and could theoretically take some tomorrow. So I don't see how pharmacy records proves time off the meds.

Theoretically a lot of people could take a lot of pills tomorrow..prescribed or not. Unless they are going to make him get blood work done to prove it is no longer in his system, which they won’t....the dr and pharmacy info should be sufficient.

Ok re-thinking the altitude thing- it is a NA 310 that does have oxygen/masks, but realistically I will probably prefer to just use nasal cannulas which will limit me to 18,000 anyway.. So maybe I just do basic med to keep things easy for now, and 3 years from now if feel the need I can go back for a 3rd class without having to even mention the visit/med for the back pain (since it will be over three years old). Sound about right?

Just document 90 days off. Use pharmacy records, doc's records, whatever have you.....

Doesn't the form just ask what you are "currently" taking? If one is not currently taking something, why would anything need be said, other than reporting the doctor's visits, etc?

Doesn't the form just ask what you are "currently" taking? If one is not currently taking something, why would anything need be said, other than reporting the doctor's visits, etc?

^-- This.

The question is "Item 17a Do You Currently Use Any Medication (Prescription or Nonprescription)?"

^-- This.

The question is "Item 17a Do You Currently Use Any Medication (Prescription or Nonprescription)?"

That is what I remember. I would think currently meant currently and not anything one had taken since the last medical.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back