Go Pro under the plane.... Mounts, gear, suggestions

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
I have started some long term planning for trips to the Bahamas. I have seen a bunch of vids with the cameras under the plane. I know nothing about how this works. Any suggestions about how to do this? I went to the Go Pro website and see three models. Not sure if I need a special mount, one model over the other, etc.

What does the PoA crew say short of "Get a Bo"?

Do you have any removable inspection plates on the belly?

If so, your best bet is probably get one of the screw on mounts from Sportys.

What about the cameras? I know nothing about these things at all.

Here is what I use with a GoPro:

http://mypilotpro.com/

Although I have noticed that if I mount it under the tail I get vibration, where as if I mount it under the wing it is fine.

I'm not sure if other cameras do this, but with the GoPro, you can turn the camera on and off with an app.

I found this guy through a pilot group on Facebook, I have yet to use them, as the owner of the plane I rent doesn't want the liability. I am impressed by it though and it is at a very affordable price.

http://mypilotpro.com/product/mypilotpro-gopro-airplane-mount/

As far as the camera itself goes, it just depends on your budget. I currently have the Hero 4 Silver edition. If I were to buy one now, I'd get the Hero 5 Black, because it's the top of the line for only $400. Just depends on what you want though.

What about the cameras? I know nothing about these things at all.
Personally, I think any GoPro is fine as long as they are new enough to work with the app. For an external mount, that is what you really need: the ability to turn it on/off remotely from the cockpit.

I used the stud mount from I-Fly but am pretty unhappy with the GoPro. It has great resolution but has a very wide angle lens (hero 4plus black) so to get any detail on objects you have to be very close. I've liked the scenic shots from places like Sedona, Monument Valley, etc. where the plane is about the same altitude and close to the scenic background but for something like a beach run the only shots I've liked have been from 500' AGL max.

I have no experience with the other sports cameras but I would not by the GoPro if I were to go for a replacement. I do see very good videos from others so it's possible I just don't know the secret but I will have a video camera with a zoom lens for my next trip to someplace like the Bahamas for air-to-ground shots. The underwater shots from the GoPro were awesome so it has its place. I just don't think much of it wing-mounted in the plane.

Gary

IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0102.JPG RAM ball mount. GoPro 4 Black with an Nflight ND filter. I also have a VIRB Elite. I prefer the VIRB so the GoPro lives where rocks might damage a camera, which explains the missing chunk of filter! My next camera will be a new VIRB.

Last edited:
Both Garmin and GoPro offer apos with remote control and live view for aiming. Those apps are battery eaters. Both companies also offer remote control fobs. Those work better. Personally I prefer to start recording prior to takeoff and stop when I land. Editing what you want to see is easy enough. Editing apps are a big topic, too. I prefer iMovie on my iPad. I have other editing programs but iMovie on the iPad is the one that works best for me. You'll need an SD card reader dongle to upload raw video.

Both Garmin and GoPro offer apos with remote control and live view for aiming. Those apps are battery eaters. Both companies also offer remote control fobs. Those work better.

^ THIS ^

Both Garmin and GoPro offer apos with remote control and live view for aiming. Those apps are battery eaters. Both companies also offer remote control fobs. Those work better. Personally I prefer to start recording prior to takeoff and stop when I land.
That's fine if the flight isn't very long. If you are starting the camera prior to engine start on a 2+ hour x-country, your memory card could easily be full before you get to your destination. I've done it both ways, but that is what makes the app valuable to me.

I have a cheap JVC camcorder with the standard camera threaded "nut" on the bottom. I bent a piece of aluminum and drilled some holes to fabricate a bracket. I have a Cherokee 180 and bolt it to the rear tiedown eye. This JVC has the flip out screen that I have to pivot to horizontal so it won't flip closed during flight. I think I've come close but haven't scraped it on a full stall landing yet.

I tried a tail mount on my Sky Arrow. Bolted a RAM ball onto a bracket in the rear and used a suction cup and bungee to try to stabilize in order to cut down on the "Jello Effect". Maybe helped, but did not eliminate - I have a feeling the whole tail vibrates a bit regardless.

NOTE: I normally try to land full flaps/full stall, which is quite tail low. I had to fight that tendency with the GoPro hanging down back there.

So I've looked at a bunch of YouTube comparo vids on the Hero 5 v. Verb Ultra and it really ends up being a wash. The Hero seems to be a slightly better picture with a clunky UI. The Virb is a better aviation-centric unit with data overlays that actually work. The Hero is a better OA sports unit, but the Virb stabilization is better. The Hero is WP out of the box and the Virb required the WP case be used.

So I think I'll go Virb Ultra and the swivel mypro mount. I can't seem to find anywhere selling the Virb for a discount. Anyone know if Garmin gives price breaks at SnF on thier gear or should I just buy online and move on?

Here's my DIY tiedown ring mount. If you go to my channel you'll see flights on Cessnas And Mooneys. I've also mounted it on a PA-28 and a Bonanza.
And, yes, at least one person has asked for a parts list and instructions. I just haven't had the time to put something together.

Last edited:
That's fine if the flight isn't very long. If you are starting the camera prior to engine start on a 2+ hour x-country, your memory card could easily be full before you get to your destination. I've done it both ways, but that is what makes the app valuable to me.
Most batteries will be dead long before the memory card is full, unless it's a particularly high capacity battery. I'm not even sure a WiFi fob or app helps much since the connection itself eats battery.

Most batteries will be dead long before the memory card is full, unless it's a particularly high capacity battery. I'm not even sure a WiFi fob or app helps much since the connection itself eats battery.
That's not been my experience and I've used both app/no app

So I've looked at a bunch of YouTube comparo vids on the Hero 5 v. Verb Ultra and it really ends up being a wash. The Hero seems to be a slightly better picture with a clunky UI.

No experience with the Virb, but the UI on the Hero5 is an order of magnitude better than any previous Hero. Not quite Apple-like, but close.

Still plan on doing a pirep on it soon.

How much video can you get on a 32gb SD card at 1080p? Sure, I could do 4k, but honestly, why?

My default for the Hero5 is 1080p and 60fps.

The Hero5 can takes MicroSD cards up to 128gb. With the above setting just over 8 hours.

Assuming it's linear, 32gb should be good for just over 2 hours.

Well.... That aint gonna work. My flights are usually creeping up on two hours each way.

As an aside, we usually throw ours up on the dash for use as a dashcam:

33015093110_9fb929a852.jpg

It can be set to "loop", but with over 8 hours endurance with a formatted 128gb sd card, that's usually sufficient.

What do you guys video that needs that much duration? I'm mostly interested in reviewing my technique and equipment. That doesn't require hours of XC flying. I still have a few Drift HD cams and one Contour. They all work fine for my needs and are far more user friendly than the GoPro. I got sucked into newer is better but that hasn't proven true, except for adjustable FOV. I prefer a narrow scope for airplane video and most action cams favor wide angle. I'm not making a Hollywood movie and won't view my clips on anything bigger than my laptop so state of the art resolution is lost on me. The advantage of the VIRB is for integration with my G3X. I expect to use that feature quite a bit in the new Cub.

My GoPro was eating batteries even when using the remote to turn off the camera between shots. I took me a while to figure out but once I had paired my iPhone to the GoPro so I could aim the camera when mounting it the camera always powered up the wifi connection when I turned the wireless on.

Once I had deleted the phone as a paired device on the camera it stopped being a problem when just using the remote. I've never had a dead battery at the end of a flight since then.

Gary

On the Navion, I put the go pro on the step using their "roll bar mount." Works great. I was a bit nervous that it would hold it rigid in 140 knot relative wind, but it works just fine.

Interesting. I'll have to give that a try on a longer flight and test the battery issue myself.
A side by side test might be interesting. My experience with battery vs memory card was prior to the app even being available. Neither the battery or memory card would last much longer than 2 hours, but I just remember that the memory card would fill up before the battery died.

When I got updated GoPros with the app to use with the Waco, I have only used the app, but never noticed a problem draining the battery. I usually carry a spare battery, but haven't needed it yet.

What do you guys video that needs that much duration?.
If you are just filming technique in the traffic pattern, that's fine. But if you want to capture stuff while on a long x-country, it is needed.

Here's an example: back before the app was available, I wanted to get some video of low level flying through Monument Valley. I was flying from the Phoenix area to Telluride. Had to start the camera before takeoff. I was able to get Monument Valley, but the video card and battery were long dead before I got to Colorado. I would have liked to get video of the approach and landing at TEX, but was unable. Now, with the app, I can do stuff like that.

Last edited:
A side by side test might be interesting. My experience with battery vs memory card was prior to the app even being available. Neither the battery or memory card would last much longer than 2 hours, but I just remember that the memory card would fill up before the battery died.

When I got updated GoPros with the app to use with the Waco, I have only used the app, but never noticed a problem draining the battery. I usually carry a spare battery, but haven't needed it yet.
And I'm sure it varies among different model cameras.

For those of you looking for gyro stabilization in something cheaper than a GoPro Hero 5, I personally use the Firefly 6s (~$80) with the MyPilotPro mount - works great! It should mount in your tail tie-down just fine, I ride a Cessna and have mounted it on the wing struts and tail tie-down.

Back