Go Diana!

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
talked to Diana last night on the phone. she was happy with her flight yesterday, and was looking forward to a flight this morning and one this afternoon. She said that she was thrilled, having a great time, meeting awesome people, and generally having FUN! I can't wait to hear from her tonight on how the rest of the contest went. exciting!!

Diana really is to be commended.

Anyone who has competed at anything knows how difficult it can be to hang it out there for everyone to judge. Imagine that we're all going to watch you fly, score every maneuver you do, post your scores against everyone else's, and then put them on the internet for everyone to see. Oh, by the way.. you get to fly an airplane that really doesn't have the wing, the horsepower, or the fuel/oil system to make it even remotely easy to do.

Go Diana indeed! We're proud of you.

Yaaay Diana! Have a great time! :yes:

Remember to give us your full report! ;)

Diana really is to be commended.

Anyone who has competed at anything knows how difficult it can be to hang it out there for everyone to judge. Imagine that we're all going to watch you fly, score every maneuver you do, post your scores against everyone else's, and then put them on the internet for everyone to see.

Kinda like landing at Gaston's?

Haven't heard yet. She did very well yesterday, as nervous as she was. I wans't able to make it out for her final flights today, though.

edit - oops, I meant to add some pictures - Diana's plane, and some of her competition.

Attachments

• DSCN0381.JPG
    DSCN0381.JPG
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0380.JPG
    DSCN0380.JPG
    971.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN0379.JPG
    DSCN0379.JPG
    920.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I called and left a message. Cant wait to hear from her

Diana just simply ROCKS in every way. I'm so proud to call her a friend.

Diana just simply ROCKS in every way. I'm so proud to call her a friend.
Sheri, that's really sweet of you. :redface: Thank you! :)

I didn't win anything, but got a free T-shirt, met some fantastic people and made new friends. :)

My goals going into this were:

1.) Be safe
2.) Be safe
3.) Be safe
4.) Not fly out the bottom of the box and get sent home
5.) Not embarrass myself
6.) Not make a bad landing in front of everyone
7.) Not zero any maneuvers, do them backwards or leave one out
8.) Make a decent score
9.) Make new friends

I met most of those goals, except 5.) and 8.)

Here are some of my new friends:

Attachments

• Dick and his Pitts 40.JPG
    Dick and his Pitts 40.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Kim and Diana 40.JPG
    Kim and Diana 40.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Kim, Diana, Paul, and Ron 40.JPG
    Kim, Diana, Paul, and Ron 40.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Ladybird 40.JPG
    Ladybird 40.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 77
  • Matt 40.JPG
    Matt 40.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 66
  • New friends Dick and Aaron 40.JPG
    New friends Dick and Aaron 40.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 65
Anyone who has competed at anything knows how difficult it can be to hang it out there for everyone to judge. Imagine that we're all going to watch you fly, score every maneuver you do, post your scores against everyone else's, and then put them on the internet for everyone to see. Oh, by the way.. you get to fly an airplane that really doesn't have the wing, the horsepower, or the fuel/oil system to make it even remotely easy to do.
It's no wonder I was the only Citabria. :D The other airplanes in Primary were a few Pitts, a Super D, a Cassutt, and an EAA Biplane. We took lots of pictures of airplanes if anyone wants to see pictures of airplanes without people. :D

I was hoping to score better, but the throttle problem in one spin cost me. As well as the fact that I can't do a slow roll. :redface: But, I wasn't going to let the slow roll keep me from going. At least none of the judges gave me a zero for my roll, which was quite possible. My scores improved with each flight, even though I had a problem in the middle of one sequence (just kept on flying like nothing happened.)

Only lost one airplane part...an inspection plate is down there under the box on the ground somewhere.

My practice session the day before the contest was horrible...I got too low, couldn't stay in the box (winds aloft were blowing 30 KTS) and just couldn't get it to flow. So, I was pretty down and wondered if I had make a mistake in even thinking about competing. I was miserable. :( But, a good friend gave me some great advice and made me feel better about it, and he was right about the next day going better. :yes:

Go Diana indeed! We're proud of you.
Thank you Chip, I appreciate that. :yes: Thanks for coming up to the farm to help me get ready and also for the productive critiquing session. :)

Yaaay Diana! Have a great time! :yes:

Remember to give us your full report! ;)
Thanks Mari! I had a great time after I was done flying and before the scores were posted. :D And here's the picture of the sense of relief.

I met a great guy from out your way....his name is Jamie and you probably watched him compete at Sterling. He was one of the judges and gave me some great advice about positioning in the box. Jamie said his chapter is sponsoring a contest soon out there. I'll find out more if you want.

What was impressive was how so many people were helpful and willing to give me good advice and share their knowledge. There was a sense of camaraderie with most of these guys that I hadn't anticipated. The contest director was a sweetheart and went out of his way to help me before and during the contest. He even assigned Giles Henderson to be my mentor/buddy for the contest. They assigned a mentor for all the newbies. Giles talked to me several times during the contest and was quite helpful. He's a nice guy. Attached are a few pictures of his Cassutt. Giles won first place in my category. It was fun watching him fly...there's a reason the man's a legend. :yes:

Attachments

• Glad it's over! 40.JPG
    Glad it's over! 40.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 26
  • My competition 40.JPG
    My competition 40.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 24
  • He won first place 40.JPG
    He won first place 40.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 35
Way to go Diana! It's been a long time coming, and I commend you for sticking with it!
Thank you Ken! I couldn't have done it without a lot of help from my friends. :)

I feel an article coming on...and it will be about the people and the ups and downs and it will be heartfelt. They may or may not run it, but I need to write it anyway.

One of the most precious moments was when Tom approached the Citabria as I was getting out after my first round. His BIG smile, the look of pride on his face, and his "thumbs up" made me want to cry...it was quite touching. Even if I didn't win anything, I was a winner to him.

I met a great guy from out your way....his name is Jamie and you probably watched him compete at Sterling. He was one of the judges and gave me some great advice about positioning in the box. Jamie said his chapter is sponsoring a contest soon out there. I'll find out more if you want.
I vaguely remember someone named Jamie, but I can't quite put it with a face. I met so many people that day! :eek:

I'm sure I won't be ready for a contest "soon", but maybe I can go help or watch again. John asked me where I wanted to go from here with my training. I told him that I wanted to learn the primary sequence, so that's what we worked on for my last lesson. I am still at the point of trying to learn the individual elements and maybe putting two or three together, not the whole thing. I am realizing that this is not like getting a rating where the goal is already set for you and there is some end in site. You have to progressively set your goals yourself in order to keep going.

What was impressive was how so many people were helpful and willing to give me good advice and share their knowledge.
It was the same at the contest that I attended. I was a total newbie and they put up with all my idiot questions. :redface:

Attached are a few pictures of his Cassutt. Giles won first place in my category. It was fun watching him fly...there's a reason the man's a legend. :yes:
That's a cool looking plane! OK, here comes another idiot question. If he's a legend, why was he competing in primary? :confused:

Glad you had a good experience Diana! You're an inspiration to me. :yes:

WOW, Diana!!!! I didn't know you were up to those kind of tricks. You are way cool!!!!!

Kaye

Diana, I know I speak for us all when I tell you, we are very proud of you for having the guts and gumption to git on up there, and show 'em a few things!

Me, I can't wait to visit you at the Twin Oaks, and watch you paint the sky.

I didn't win anything, but got a free T-shirt...

Hahahahahaha. Hehehehehehe. Snort. You're killing me here! I have a few of those "free" $1,000 tshirts hanging in my closet. If you want me to I'll sit down with Tom and help add up all the expenses. :D :no:

awesome Diana, glad you did well and had a good time!

I'm sure I won't be ready for a contest "soon", but maybe I can go help or watch again.
Here's info on the next one out your way in October:

http://www.iac5.org/

I'll have to ask Marijke if she's going to compete in that one.

John asked me where I wanted to go from here with my training. I told him that I wanted to learn the primary sequence, so that's what we worked on for my last lesson.
How neat! I've talked to a few people who hadn't ever put the maneuvers together before their first competition and who hadn't been in the box before. I can't imagine doing all that for the first time at an official contest.

That's a cool looking plane! OK, here comes another idiot question. If he's a legend, why was he competing in primary? :confused:
That's a good question. :D I wonder if it's because that particular airplane can't do hammerheads or some other maneuvers that are in the Sportsman Sequence? Perhaps someone else could shed some light on that issue. He competes in Sportsman in his clipped wing Cub, and that is what he won so many awards with over the years. I wonder if perhaps he flies the Cassutt if he has to travel longer distances for contests since it's so much faster?

Glad you had a good experience Diana! You're an inspiration to me. :yes:
Thank you Mari! After Marijke told me about her first contest, she was an inspiration to me. :)

WOW, Diana!!!! I didn't know you were up to those kind of tricks. You are way cool!!!!!

Kaye
:redface: Kaye, if only I could do those kind of tricks well. At least I don't have to dust my shelves to make room for trophies. :D

Too bad they don't give out an award for indescribable rolls. :rofl:

Diana, I know I speak for us all when I tell you, we are very proud of you for having the guts and gumption to git on up there, and show 'em a few things!
Thank you Spike...you're a sweetie. :yes:

Me, I can't wait to visit you at the Twin Oaks, and watch you paint the sky.
Come on up and paint it with me! :)

Well... seven out of nine on your list ain't too shabby... besides, you nailed the first three, so the rest is gravy. ;)

Must have been great just to be competing there... "some crazy lady in a Citabria..." :D

I hope you're proud of yourself!! :yes:

Well... seven out of nine on your list ain't too shabby... besides, you nailed the first three, so the rest is gravy. ;)
You have a good point. :yes:

Must have been great just to be competing there... "some crazy lady in a Citabria..." :D
Hahahahahahaha, I love it! I think there were probably a few who were curious as to how well I'd do. Especially those who had the opportunity to watch me practice the day before the contest. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I hope you're proud of yourself!! :yes:
Well, normally, I don't like competing unless I'm sure I'm going to win, so this was a departure for me. :D But, like somebody told me yesterday, if you come in last, there's nowhere to go but up on the list of scores next time. :yes:

Diana,

This is way cool! You got me thinking about giving it a try, except that reality quickly hits me on the back of the head every time I think of it. (always out of the country, no aerobatic plane, no time in general, and that whole always-getting-nauseous-whenever-I-fly-inverted-for-more-than-a-few-seconds thing). Maybe after I settle down. (sigh) Hopefully, you can be MY mentor then!!

Here's info on the next one out your way in October:

http://www.iac5.org/
Oh, that's the one out in Lamar that they were talking about. October is going to be a busy month for me and that's quite a hike, but we'll see.

I wonder if it's because that particular airplane can't do hammerheads or some other maneuvers that are in the Sportsman Sequence?
That makes sense. I don't know anything about that plane, in fact I had never even heard of it before. :dunno:

Great Job Diana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a lot of fun... now if only I could find a Citabra to fly around here somewhere.

and that whole always-getting-nauseous-whenever-I-fly-inverted-for-more-than-a-few-seconds thing).
Well, if you fly a plane like mine, the engine quits after being inverted for a few seconds, so that shouldn't be as much of a problem. :D

Hopefully, you can be MY mentor then!!
Absolutely! I'd be honored! :)

Last edited:
Thanks Missa! :)

I wonder if it would help to post on the Citabria forum asking if there are any in your area?

BTDT... and have asked at all the local airports... If I want to fly one, I need to buy one.

Congratulations, Diana.

Great pictures to boot.

Great job Diana! I wish I could have made it to see you perform.

Hi Wes!!!! Welcome to the forum!!

I was working on a write-up to post on sp.com this morning, and noticed that you won Sportsman at Warrenton this weekend. Congratulations!!!!

Looks like you had a great contest D. So, are you hooked?
Wes
It was pretty intense! When we got home, I told Tom I was never going to do this again, :no: but now I'm thinking it's time to start making plans for the next one. :yes: Don't anyone tell Tom! :D But, next time, I will be more relaxed, have more fun and enjoy the people more. For me, it's mostly about the people. I made new friends and met a lot of GREAT people. It was amazing how many of those guys at the contest were giving me lots of advice and suggestions, and actually rooting for me! My slow roll, (alias funky farm roll) became famous and brought some smiles. :D One judge even wrote that I did a great barrel roll and made a smilie on my scoresheet. :D

The contest director, Paul was fantastic and set the tone for a safe, friendly, and positive environment at the contest. If he wouldn't have been so helpful before hand, I probably wouldn't have gone.

You were right about a person's brain turning to mush and the stress level. Next year it won't be as bad, right? :fcross: Your advice to practice going both ways was good too! It was helpful hearing about how everyone forgets maneuvers and does them backwards and zeros maneuvers sometime or other. Knowing that takes some of the pressure off.

A few of the pilots there had competed in Citabrias in the past and had some suggestions for me that were specific to the Citabria. One guy changed the trim with every maneuver in the sequence. Gosh, that would REALLY keep a person even MORE busy besides all the throttle changes constantly going on.

By the way, what is the plural of Pitts? I'm writing about them and don't know the correct way to use the plural.

More information, and pictures (I'm still adding them to the site), and scores :eek: are up on the IAC Chapter site:

http://www.iac15.org/

Thanks again Wes, and welcome to the forum!

Back