GNS530 Non-WAAS IFR Certification for M20J

Pablo Vasquez

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pablo
Mooney that I purchased as an export has a GNS530 that was not certified for IFR when installed. I have read some posts mentioning that I will need to have the installation reviewed by IA to make sure it is in compliance with IFR requirements. I believe I also need the AFMS specific to M20J model, wondering if anyone has this or would know where I can get one?

I would go to Garmin website to see if you can download the AFMS, or do some searching for an online copy.

I searched online and Garmin docs and there is a AFMS for M20M,M20R and M20S models, however, none for M20J. I also found one for PA-28. If you look at the content, they are almost identical. Just wondering if this is something I would need Garmin to issue for my specific model (M20J). The plane was imported from Canada.

Just wondering if this is something I would need Garmin to issue for my specific model (M20J).
You may want to check the Garmin GNS530 STC aircraft model listing to see if the M20J is listed. If its not listed then theres no IFR option for your aircraft unless you want to get it approved.

Field approval isn't a terribly big deal on these. I was able to have a KLN94 GPS approved for IFR en-route and approach via 337 and field approval. (Yes, I know, why bother with such an old GPS? It was already installed, but lacked the required CDI and annunciation, which I was able to add for a few hundred $)

The Garmin is much more common, and as long as you have the CDI and annunciators, it shouldn't be a big deal. The most painful part was getting the 337 filled out properly. A few back-and-forths with the FSDO, and it was all good.

The GNS likely has an AFMS Supplement template that you can use, customized for your N number and serial number. That's what I did for the KLN94.

Field approval isn't a terribly big deal on these. I was able to have a KLN94 GPS approved for IFR en-route and approach via 337 and field approval. (Yes, I know, why bother with such an old GPS? It was already installed, but lacked the required CDI and annunciation, which I was able to add for a few hundred $)

The Garmin is much more common, and as long as you have the CDI and annunciators, it shouldn't be a big deal. The most painful part was getting the 337 filled out properly. A few back-and-forths with the FSDO, and it was all good.

The GNS likely has an AFMS Supplement template that you can use, customized for your N number and serial number. That's what I did for the KLN94.

Who is authorized to do the field approval? Also, did you fill out the 337 yourself and file it?

Who is authorized to do the field approval? Also, did you fill out the 337 yourself and file it?
I worked with my A&P IA, and an ASI from the local FSDO. The ASI helped with the process and ultimately signed off on the field approval. Given that the GPS already had solid documentation and an AFMS template, and there were prior approvals, the process was mostly getting the 337 filled out correctly. When everything was done, I mailed everything to OKC.

The GNS might be easier, with far more installations. Might not even need the field approval- just the 337 and your A&P IA signature.

Might not even need the field approval- just the 337 and your A&P IA signature.
FYI: if his M20J is not listed on the 530 AML he'll still need the field approval for the IFR install as technically the STC does not apply. But it shouldn't be an issue with the right A&P/IA and ASI.

The non-WAAS 430's and 530's were not STC'ed. The WAAS units are. To install a non-W, you need a field approval to use the GPS for IFR. With no STC, there is no AML.

The non WASS 530’s were only STC’ed for one aircraft before the widespread use of approved model lists. A field approval was used for other model aircraft for installation. Your FSDO can help.

Back