GNS530 approach hassle

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I am having a hard time getting my 530 to load a new approach at a different airport after shooting and going missed.

Today I flew from Reno (KRNO) to Fallon (KFLX), shooting a VOR approach to FLX. I went missed and headed back to Hazen VOR (HZN). On the way to HZN, I wanted to load the GPS Rwy 27 approach at Carson City (KCXP).

If I just enter Direct CXP, then it looses HZN which I don't want. No matter what I did, it kept wanting to select an approach at FLX. When I was prompted to chose an approach at FLX, hitting "CLR" allowed me to edith the airport at the top from KFLX to KCXP and then allowed me to choose 27 at CXP, but in the end it got rid of HZN.

So, How can I insert an approach at a new airport while going missed at the current airport?

Should be able to go into PROC, hit the little button, plug in CXP, then choose the approach. Then you should be able to load instead of activate and that *should* I think, append it to whatever you're doing. If not, you can try loading it from the FPL page and that should do it for sure.

My KRNO to FLX flight plan looks like:

KRNO/KFLX

Enroute
KRNO
Approach VOR/DME-B
OHOSO
HZN
THEMA
MACOG
HZN
hold
KCXP

I now want to insert an approach to KCXP, so I press PROC, then "Select Approach" and it offers fixes for the VOR approach at FLX. Both the big and little knobs only move through the 4 fix choices. So I hit CLR and use the big knob to get to the top to change KFLX to KCXP, but then it doesn't let me choose any approaches. If I hit PROC again it just goes back to KFLX.

DN - I believe you're still flying the approach at KFLX when you are flying the hold at Hazen. And the 430/530 won't let you load two approaches at the same time. One option would be to put in the first waypoint of the desired KCXP approach into the 530 after Hazen and while flying directly there get the rest of the approach loaded up because at that point you can dump the approach that used Hazen. But the short answer to how you can load another approach while flying the missed of the current approach is that you can't.

Ok - so after leaving the hold at HZN for CHIME, what is the simplest way to dump everything before HZN and insert the GPS 27 approach to CXP (which starts at CHIME)?

I don't wan't to ever have to remove CHIME (or even HZN).

I think you had it in post #3 (i.e. use the PROC button to select the new approach at the new airport). Not sure why it wasn't working for you. Also, you shouldn't have to remove CHIME but you might need to go direct to the CHIME in the actual approach vs. the CHIME which got you pointed in the right direction. Although someone else might have a more elegant solution.

If you're in the PROC menu, you should be able to go to the desired airport using the big knob. Cycle to the top with big knob and plug in the airport you want with the little knob. IIRC....

When I do that, I am able to choose the new airport and approach, but when I choose Activate, it just goes back to the old approach I already had. I see no way to do it other than going to menu, clearing out the entire flight plan and entering a new destination and approach. When going missed, and proceeding to another airport that is close, it sure is a lot of knob and button stuff to set this up. There has to be a better way.

I do not know anything about that box, but every FMS i have flown will not allow you to load an approach at any other airport than your destination. i would guess you would have to tell it that your new destination is carson city before it will load an approach there.

bob

My KRNO to FLX flight plan looks like:

KRNO/KFLX

Enroute
KRNO
Approach VOR/DME-B
OHOSO
HZN
THEMA
MACOG
HZN
hold
KCXP

I now want to insert an approach to KCXP, so I press PROC, then "Select Approach" and it offers fixes for the VOR approach at FLX. Both the big and little knobs only move through the 4 fix choices. So I hit CLR and use the big knob to get to the top to change KFLX to KCXP, but then it doesn't let me choose any approaches. If I hit PROC again it just goes back to KFLX.

Go Direct to Kcxp and enter
Then go to proc and select approach

Seems I remember something about PROC, then hit MENU twice. Then you select "next flt plan airport." That allows you to have more the one airport in the flight plan but select which one to select an approach from. The default is the last airport. Where I was reading it was suggesting you put the departure airport in again after the destination. Then if you have to return to land for some reason you can get an approach loaded quickly. Maybe something about that might apply to DesertNomad's scenario. Anyway, try pushing MENU twice after PROC and see if it leads somewhere to an answer.

Go Direct to Kcxp and enter
Then go to proc and select approach
That's what I'd do on the fly....why make it more complicated than it needs?

The GNS is not a very intuitive box....and programming with a complicated flight plan is least desirable IMHO.

I believe the only way to do what you want is to create a new flight plan. For example:
FPL
Small knob right 1 click
MENU
"Create New Flight plan" should be highlighted -- press ENTER
Enter destination (e.g. KCXP)
MENU
Highlight "Select Approach" then ENTER
Highlight desired IAF or Transition then ENTER
Load should be highlighted -- press ENTER​

You now have a flight plan with your new destination and approach without affecting your current flight plan. When you are ready to proceed:
FPL
Small knob right 1 click
Push small knob (CRSR)
Highlight desired flight plan
MENU
Highlight "Activate Flight Plan", press ENTER​

Suggest practicing with the simulator.

Back