[GNS480/CNX80] What is the simplest way to input a Radial/DME waypoint into the flight plan?

Discussion in 'Cleared for the Approach' started by AggieMike88, Dec 8, 2017.

1. aterpster

aterpster Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    aterpster
    Perhaps in the early days of RNAV the dogleg CNF waypoint was done by Jeppesen. There must be a fix at the dogleg to build a database airway. I flew an RNAV airplane before GPS and we had database airways.

2. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    Well I was around back then, but I flew that airway using a 430 around 2009 so I must just have not noticed it then. In the case of the 480's airways, it's all moot since I've since read a discussion in Keith Thomassen's book, an example clearance where the way to do a course from a VOR when cleared to fly outbound on a radial is simply to enter the radial in the Fly Course field. Clearly that wouldn't work unless it was based on station declination.

Whether that holds true for user WPs defined from a VOR, I don't know.

3. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    Yep, that's what I remember seeing. But now I don't know how long ago that was. I was studying IFR charts back in 2003-4 but never followed through to get my ticket. It's possible I'm remembering from way back then.
    :rofl:

4. aterpster

aterpster Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    aterpster
    GPS came in circa 1990. I'm speaking of 1984-85.

5. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    Strange, I wonder where I saw them then. Could swear it was in a current chart back in my early flying days, if not more recently. Maybe they only generated CNF fixes for those doglegs gradually and some were still left unnamed 15 years ago? :dunno: