GNS 530W Database Updates

MD11Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MD11Pilot
I am trying to update my GNS 530W and about to explode. First...I am NOT a computer person. I do not understand most of the language that computer people use.
2nd. I have a MAC and I refuse to buy another Windows computer or program. I suffered with Windows for years...i.e when is Garmin going to join the 21st century?

Conditions...I have Garmin USB DB loader. I have my DB card installed. I have purchased my DB updates. I have downloaded and installed FlyGarmin for MAC only to find out it won't work with the DB updater. I do have the Blue Jeppesen USB but will it work with the Garmin updates or does it have to be a magic USB?

I have tried to use a program called CrossOver but again it starts asking for computer files that I haven't a clue as to what it is referencing? I am not going to purchase a service with them until I understand that it will work.

Anyone here that is calm and able to teach me what I need? If you are from Garmin...come on by...I would like to punch you in the face.

I came to Macs many moons ago too. I'm sure for the same reasons as you. However sad to say there are a few things where the Window's world reigns. You can't beat them. Fortunately you can buy a really cheap used Windows laptop with Windows 7 in it. That's what I did for my flyGarmin updates and about nothing else. (Ok, I also use it for my boroscope since I don't have a MacBook. ).
That's life. For now if you want the savings of flyGarmin, that's the only choice.

I do have an old Dell with windows 8 but it is stuck on the Garmin login window...just spinning and spinning. I have a PHD in Computer Science....Push Here Dummy

It is amazing. I can program the Honeywell or the Garmin and go anywhere in the world but I cannot get it to update...I think Bill Gates just sits and laughs at people like me.

I used to run Windows in VMware Fusion to do stuff like that.

For what it's worth the jeppesen upload program works well on mac (finally)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all. Still working on my old laptop with Windoze 8. Certificate Error. I used to use Crossover but they became too expensive. Will look at VMware Fusion. Might have to go to Jeppesen when this subscription runs out.

I do have an old Dell with windows 8 but it is stuck on the Garmin login window...just spinning and spinning.

I just switched to Garmin updates from Jepp and ran into an issue that sounds similar.

On my second update, I launched the Garmin update application and couldn't get past the splash screen. Shut it down, launched with the same results. Uninstalled it, reinstalled it and launched it the exact same results.

Then I discovered the... trick.

You don't launch the application!!! You have to login to the Garmin website and let it launch the app.

But like I said, you may be having a different problem.

I tried very hard to get flyGarmin to work using VMware Fusion. Could not get it to recognize the Garmin card. Finally gave up and went to the single use PC laptop for this.

By the way if you can get a Garmin tech guy on the phone they'll work with you for as long as it takes.

I have Garmin USB DB loader. I have my DB card installed. I have purchased my DB updates. I have downloaded and installed FlyGarmin for MAC only to find out it won't work with the DB updater. I do have the Blue Jeppesen USB but will it work with the Garmin updates or does it have to be a magic USB?

FlyGarmin and the Garmin supplied updates will not work with the Blue Jeppesen USB (data card burner). It requires the Garmin supplied USB device (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/1190). And that device must be the current version. Garmin used to sell a device that looks exactly the same to burn (program) obstacle and terrain databases. They told me that the older one would not work with navigation data.

Thanks to all. Will be talking to Garmin Monday...if they will talk to me after my email...I do have the latest Garmin updater and I have an old PC laptop (all I get is "error on page" and since I went to MAC I cannot remember, nor do I want to remember how to work with PC. My next option is to call a friend who is a big wig at Dell and go to his house and let him do this for me.

Back