GNS 530 WAAS buttons are sticking

N747JB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John
I guess that’s the best way to describe it, when attempting several different functions, I have to push the buttons several times to get a response. One button, I think it was menu, is not functioning at all. I’m think I remember that avionics shops can’t repair these, will Garmin still overhaul them? I definitely don’t want to have to buy a replacement! :eek:

I've heard of a number of options including electrical contact cleaner sprayed into the groove around the buttons. The theory is that a lot of sticking is just finger oil and dirt getting in there. But, especially now, when Garmin has announced sunsetting GNS parts manufacture, you might as well bite the bullet for servicing (a friend of mine did that this past year). As usual, not cheap.

I've heard of a number of options including electrical contact cleaner sprayed into the groove around the buttons. The theory is that a lot of sticking is just finger oil and dirt getting in there. But, especially now, when Garmin has announced sunsetting GNS parts manufacture, you might as well bite the bullet for servicing (a friend of mine did that this past year). As usual, not cheap.
That’s kind of what I was thinking! I’m in for an annual this week, so I may get them to pull it and ship it to Garmin. I can get by with the 430 until it comes back.

Someone on a forum actually took a small needle and injected contact cleaner into the sticking switches and fixed them

A friend sent in his 20 year old non waas and garmin turned it around in 3 weeks (during Covid)

came back like new

iirc $2500 plus some maybe 3 hours labor to cover saving configuration settings, pulling it out, shipping, paperwork etc

the turnaround might have been so quick because the parts were sitting in inventory here, not overseas

I guess that’s the best way to describe it, when attempting several different functions, I have to push the buttons several times to get a response. One button, I think it was menu, is not functioning at all. I’m think I remember that avionics shops can’t repair these, will Garmin still overhaul them? I definitely don’t want to have to buy a replacement! :eek:

I had the same problem, and sent it back to Garmin. It came back looking and working like new.

Those membrane buttons in Garmin products are notorious for failure. I've had this problem with 3 Garmin units. One was a transponder and the 5 button went inop. Whenever I'd get a squawk I'd have to request one without at 5 in it.

Not cheap, but much cheaper than buying new.
Unless you are ready (or planning) to upgrade, I think now would be a great time to have it refurbished by Garmin. My other suggestion would be to see if you can get any trade-in value for an IFD 540, which is what I would do in your shoes.

Unless you are ready (or planning) to upgrade, I think now would be a great time to have it refurbished by Garmin. My other suggestion would be to see if you can get any trade-in value for an IFD 540, which is what I would do in your shoes.

IFD is a great box. Very glad to have upgraded from my GNS 530W.

Thanks for the suggestions, I’m having the shop pull the unit and send it to my avionics shop, to ship to Garmin, he said 10-14 days! It’ll be that long before they get the annual complete!

I also have a 430 in the panel and a 530w in the 182, I like the Garmin units and this is honestly the first issue I’ve had with any of them, going back to 2002 or so.

Back