GNS 530 question

ircphoenix

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ircphoenix
Howdy party people.

Just got done reading my manual cover to cover and couldn't find an answer. So I went to the Google. Couldn't find an answer there either.

So now I come to the experts....

Is there any way to change the defaults that load up when the GNS turns on as far as the COMM frequency is concerned? It is a little annoying that I have to change them every time I start up the box. The COMM 2 is still old skool so when the master comes on, they come to life with the last frequencies that were programmed in.

As an aside... if there's a way to plug in max fuel capacity and keep that setting, that would be nice... just because I don't like seeing 0's in those fields.

Good question, I'm not sure. But I know I set my car air conditioning to 69 by default:

ac7e826aaf2d8cfdceeadfb8933f6724.jpg

Partially because that is a good temperature to start with but mostly because I'm massively immature.

On my 430 and 430W they always remain on the last frequency.

What frequencies are they starting on?

Is it 121.5 that it's starting on by any chance? Do you have to push the COMM FLIP FLOP button before you make the first frequency input?

Do you have preset com frequencies (see the SETUP 1 / COM SETUP page)?

Last edited:
My 530W starts up with the last frequencies used in the same place as they were when I shut down.

It should boot up with your last freqs that you had when you shut down, if not I'd guess maybe the garmins internal battery is getting long in the tooth.

As for the fuel, I'm not 100% sure, I never use that feature, but if your internal battery isnt remembering the last freqs I doubt it would remember any of those settings ether

Also if this GNS530 powers on and off via your MASTER, I'd be tossing an avionics switch in, that can't be healthy for it to be on while starting up the engine and alternator, guess you could turn the master off before you killed the engine, but man I'd just add a avionics switch, at the very least maybe you could use the GSNs breaker like a avionics switch in the mean time?

Yup.

Just as an aside, when I bought my plane one of the GNS batteries was low, complete with the warning screen, the owner was tasked with taking care of the snag as part of the sale, he took it to his avionics shop, that seemed to know their stuff, and they somehow fried the screen, they had to eat the costs of sending it in to garmin for them to clean it up.

It's easy, but if you screw up its expensive, for what a avionics shop charges, I'd deligate the battery, and I'm a DIY guy.

Last edited:
I am the same person who posted in the vaf linked above regarding memory battery low. When it gets low the g530 will give a memory battery low alert. If it is not doing that I bet that is not the issue. If it is the issue that battery is simple to replace; I have replaced a few of them.

Does the op know how to get into the g530 setup menu?

I've only done the start up/shut down three times now, and each time the starting frequencies are 134 something and 118... If I recall correctly. Definitely not whatever I had them set to. I was at KWHP for two of the startups. Initial startup had those two plugged in. When I came back and shut down, I had tower and ground plugged in. When I started the aircraft up again, the frequencies had been changed back.

No warning screen saying anything about memory or low battery.

And yeah, there's no avionics switch in the airplane so I make sure I power everything down before I kill the master and ground the mags.

I'm probably going to run to the airport after work tonight and mess around with it for a little bit. I assumed the setup page would be buried in amongst the AUX pages? I don't recall seeing anything in my user guide about a specific page for a comms setup type of thingy but it was kind of like drinking from a firehose since I'm definitely not used to a 530.

Hold enter button down while turning the power on. Continue to hold enter down until the boot up is complete. You will then be in the setup menu. Be careful as you can screw it up if you change something you shouldn't. I recommend taking pics of all pages then reviewing what your settings are later before making changes. You may find a startup frequency in there.

Well I lied. Thought the internal memory battery message would have displayed conspicuously when I booted it up. I didn't realize it was hidden in the messages screen. Which I should have. Thanks for the replies... now to find a good avionics shop near me who will get it done quick and cheap.

Odd, because when I had a low battery on my 430 it showed up on bootup.

Hi, what happen a if someone bust a corner and exceeds by 500 ft a floor of bravo airspace and imediatly after 1 minute descends?. And the pilot is on the frecuency of a golf airport heading towards a delta controlled airspace, both within bravo 30 nm veil?. Does the bravo tower has a way of knowing the airplane?

What happens is people ignore all the boot screens and just sit there and poke "enter" "enter," without really looking.

What happens is people ignore all the boot screens and just sit there and poke "enter" "enter," without really looking.
How dare you! I was specifically looking for the message the entire startup process. It wasn't there. It was in the messages screen. I'll push your enter enter button here in a second! :D

Back