GNS-480/CNX-80 Still Relevant?

When I worked for CAE I got fairly familiar with the FMS in the CRJ family of aircraft, so I enjoy the "smart buttons". I could get used to this easily I think. My biggest hangup is the ADS-B issue. If I knew for certain the update/upgrade was coming to make it work, it'd be a no brainer for me.

If Garmin doesn't support it with ADS-B ability, and also leaves it off the Flight Stream system, it will become irrelevant soon.

One thing that seemed unintuitive to me about the 480 was the intermediate step of needing to press the DB key as part entering a simple direct-to operation.

Someone from Garmin posted to the 480 Yahoo users group a few weeks ago that they expect the ADSB 480 firmware to be released "sometime in Feb".

8818303cb8b7bad29197e7fb0a860752.jpg

257295a9e18e9dc7c4daab437c008af3.jpg
bcb6dd76be2a51b9748c532732fd4802.jpg

Does anyone out there have a GNS480/CNX80 in their panel with a MX20 or GMX200 paired to it? If so, do you have pictures? Would just like to see what kind of panel real estate we are talking about.
CNX-80 + GMX-200:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Interior_2.jpg
    Interior_2.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 56
You know it wouldn't cost much to change out that pumpkin interior. :rofl: Man what were they thinking with those colors back then? :lol:

That looks pretty much like the 182 stack I had flown.

You know it wouldn't cost much to change out that pumpkin interior. :rofl: Man what were they thinking with those colors back then? :lol:

That looks pretty much like the 182 stack I had flown.
Depends on your definition of "much", and what you're thinking of replacing it with. Best estimate I've gotten is $12,000, for a modern leather interior, and that was 5 years ago. I wouldn't go through all that trouble for a less dramatic improvement, and I can't really afford that kind of expense (more accurately, I'm saving the money for real mx).

Depends on your definition of "much", and what you're thinking of replacing it with. Best estimate I've gotten is $12,000, for a modern leather interior, and that was 5 years ago. I wouldn't go through all that trouble for a less dramatic improvement, and I can't really afford that kind of expense (more accurately, I'm saving the money for real mx).

Go to the Auto Paint store and buy a case of Marhyde, mask off anything you don't want to paint and go to town on it. You can do the fabric in an accent color. Welcome to the used car business where you add $1000 of value with $10 of paint and clear strategically applied.:lol:;)

Seriously, Marhyde and some seat covers and you can spruce up the interior for very little money.

Maybe he was thinking "Krylon"? :D

I just changed the carpet in the 'kota and it was about $500 for the kit + $100 at a local upholstery shop + about 40 hours of my time. It did get rid of the wall-to-wall red after six years of ownership...

Go to the Auto Paint store and buy a case of Marhyde, mask off anything you don't want to paint and go to town on it. You can do the fabric in an accent color. Welcome to the used car business where you add $1000 of value with $10 of paint and clear strategically applied.:lol:;)

Seriously, Marhyde and some seat covers and you can spruce up the interior for very little money.
Already have seat covers. You're talking about color. Sure I would prefer a less nauseating interior color, but the main problem is brittleness and cracking due to age and exposure. Just isn't worth doing anything with it at this point, until I'm ready to replace it.

Maybe he was thinking "Krylon"? :D

I just changed the carpet in the 'kota and it was about $500 for the kit + $100 at a local upholstery shop + about 40 hours of my time. It did get rid of the wall-to-wall red after six years of ownership...
40 hours! :rofl: The plane would be down for months before I found 40 hours of spare time to do that kind of work on it. Besides, at this point, I don't have a hangar to work in. I'm in a communal hangar, along with about 8 other planes, I don't have after-hours access, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Already have seat covers. You're talking about color. Sure I would prefer a less nauseating interior color, but the main problem is brittleness and cracking due to age and exposure. Just isn't worth doing anything with it at this point, until I'm ready to replace it.

That's where you are wrong, now is the highest value time because it will seal that brittle surface, and even add some solvent to its poor parched ass, and help you extend the useful life of it. I have saved a hell of a lot of cheap plastic with spray bombs.

40 hours! :rofl: The plane would be down for months before I found 40 hours of spare time to do that kind of work on it. Besides, at this point, I don't have a hangar to work in. I'm in a communal hangar, along with about 8 other planes, I don't have after-hours access, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

The labor time is pretty tough - there was a lot of clean-up work on the 'kota and I expect many other aircraft are similar. I'm lucky there wasn't any corrosion.

Anyway, you're right to bank the $$ until there is an excess for aesthetic items.

You don't have after hours access to your own plane? Man, that would make me think twice about the hangar arrangement....

You don't have after hours access to your own plane? Man, that would make me think twice about the hangar arrangement....
Beggars can't be choosers. The closest alternative is about 45 minutes away over the mountains, and that's a tiny little strip with few hangars anyway, and no instrument approaches.

I'm lucky to be in a hangar at all out here. Lots of birds are buried under feet of snow on tiedowns.

Yep, in that situation you have to take what you can get. So, what if you have an early morning departure or a late evening return?

I'm not sure Garmin has yet made available the long awaited patch it needs to be used for ads-B out. Might want to double check that if you're really interested.

Only true if you plan a Garmin solution. My 480 is supporting ADS-B out via my NavWorx box just fine.

Last update was March for the Garmin compatible fix.

Paul

The labor time is pretty tough - there was a lot of clean-up work on the 'kota and I expect many other aircraft are similar. I'm lucky there wasn't any corrosion.

Anyway, you're right to bank the $$ until there is an excess for aesthetic items.

Yeah they are, and it makes me question how annuals are getting done. The most hateful part of some annuals was getting the belly clean, and even under the carpeting. People should vacuum their planes more often, that grit lands in cables and pulleys quite often and causes damage. I was working when the Beech spar carry through AD came out and some planes it took several hours just to get it clean enough to inspect the first time.:nonod:

That doesn't change the ability to dye the carpet with a spray can in place.;)

Only true if you plan a Garmin solution. My 480 is supporting ADS-B out via my NavWorx box just fine.

Last update was March for the Garmin compatible fix.

Paul

So you're meeting the 2020 mandate right now with the 480 and a box from NavWorx? More information please! Do you have a photo of your setup?

No remote audio panel on the 650 but you can have a remote mounted transponder. My only concern about the the remote audio panel and transponder is if the gtn goes dark for what ever reason, then I dont have a transponder or a way to switch to another radio. Maybe Garmin figured something out for situations like that.

COM 2 gets wired to the audio panel as COM 1, and COM 1 gets wired as #2.
In configuration, COM 1 will be configured as #2 and vice versa.
If the GTN fails, audio panel will revert to COM1, which is in fact Com 2; so you do have a fully functioning COM unit.
Takes a second to wrap your brain around, but is actually pretty clever. ;)

So you're meeting the 2020 mandate right now with the 480 and a box from NavWorx? More information please! Do you have a photo of your setup?

The NavWorx box is on the NavWorx site... Mine is buried behind the panel. It connects to its own UAT transponder-style antenna. I haven't connected the internal GPS to an antenna, since I'm using the GNS480 as a position source.

It's also connected to my encoder, but I might not do that today... They sell a TransMon module for ~$100 that zip ties to the transponder coax. It picks up squawk, ident, and altitude from the Xpdr output, so you don't need separate control.

Originally, I displayed traffic on the 480, on my GMX200, and via their WiFi module (another $100 option) on my iPad. But traffic alerts interfere with changing frequencies or editing a flight plan on the 480, so I turned off the feed to the 480. Traffic in two places is enough!

Paul

The FAA will check out your ADS-B installation for compliance. Send an email to the address on this web page along with the required information and they will send a reply about the status of your ADS-B out. I doubt a 480 position source without the promised upgrade will get passing marks. http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb

Mods: Can this move to avionics?

I know this is an old thread and the CNX80 / 480 is no longer supported...

But I just bought a Piper Comanche 250 that has the CNX80 and a GMX200, and an Aspen PFD1000.
I watched the above videos and they were great. Downloaded the 480 simulator.
Still trying to master that box...

Anyone else using one? Still seems a good GPS but a bit tricky. Since I bought a plane, I’m broke and I won’t be upgrading avionics for a while. I’ll be updating the database and flying IFR with it. Plane has a Century 2000 autopilot that is nice.

Last edited:
The one in our club's Skylane still doing a good job!

Yes it's a good navigator that doesn't seem to get many complaints. It will outlast the GMX200, so if you like having that you should seek one in good condition now and put it on the shelf for when yours breaks.

Some prefer the GNS buttonology to the CNX, or vice versa. I think it's a matter of which you learned first.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, lest you always be broke.

Mods: Can this move to avionics?

I know this is an old thread and the CNX80 / 480 is no longer supported...

But I just bought a Piper Comanche 250 that has the CNX80 and a GMX200, and an Aspen PFD1000.
I watched the above videos and they were great. Downloaded the 480 simulator.
Still trying to master that box...

Anyone else using one? Still seems a good GPS but a bit tricky. Since I bought a plane, I’m broke and I won’t be upgrading avionics for a while. I’ll be updating the database and flying IFR with it. Plane has a Century 2000 autopilot that is nice.

We have a Comanche 260B with a 480 and GMX200 along with a 330ES for ADSB. We just added dual G5’s. The 480 is still fine. No problem functionally wise, I actually prefer it to the 430/530. The main issue now is that Garmin has discontinued support. However, Jeppesen still issues the database updates and says they’ll continue to do so.

So, at this point it’s fine until it breaks, and even then maybe we can just get a replacement off of eBay.

Due to support, I wouldn’t install a 480 into a plane that doesn’t already have one, but if you have one, you’ll likely be OK for a while.

We have a Comanche 260B with a 480 and GMX200 along with a 330ES for ADSB. We just added dual G5’s. The 480 is still fine. No problem functionally wise, I actually prefer it to the 430/530. The main issue now is that Garmin has discontinued support. However, Jeppesen still issues the database updates and says they’ll continue to do so.

So, at this point it’s fine until it breaks, and even then maybe we can just get a replacement off of eBay.

Due to support, I wouldn’t install a 480 into a plane that doesn’t already have one, but if you have one, you’ll likely be OK for a while.

I've got the 330 ADSB out transponder as well in my Comanche 250. The TIS traffic isn't working. My 250 was built in 1960, now has a fuel injected 540 that puts out more horsepower. Mine also came with an Aspen and I like it.

I would like ADSB in but I'll have to settle for a Stratus 3 to my iPad for now. Need to update the CNX80 database...buying an airplane has made me broke.

I get around that by having 2 partners! :)

Dang, I was shocked to see my own thread from 4 years ago pop up! Funny how things change. I went from thinking about a 480, to buying a used 430, selling that, and going with a new 650 instead :D

I get around that by having 2 partners! :)

Financially partners would be nice but I'm going to give owning solo a shot. It aint cheap.

Dang, I was shocked to see my own thread from 4 years ago pop up! Funny how things change. I went from thinking about a 480, to buying a used 430, selling that, and going with a new 650 instead :D

A logical progression. I've flown the 650 a few times and it is nice. I'm not doing a 430 / 530 if my 480 breaks down. Just hoping to get a few more years out of it if I can. I know the 480 is old but it still seems to get it done and I'd rather have it than a 430. (Easy Airways included in the 480) In two years I'm sure the new avionics will be incredible. They always get better and cheaper. It is just Jeppesen that seems to get more and more expensive...

I've got the 330 ADSB out transponder as well in my Comanche 250. The TIS traffic isn't working. My 250 was built in 1960, now has a fuel injected 540 that puts out more horsepower. Mine also came with an Aspen and I like it.

I would like ADSB in but I'll have to settle for a Stratus 3 to my iPad for now. Need to update the CNX80 database...buying an airplane has made me broke.

Just fly lower than everyone else and you’ll be fine.

Back