GMX-200 repaired by Garmin (NOT)

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by azure, Oct 8, 2019 at 7:02 PM.

1. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    So I finally got my GMX-200 back today after being sent out to Garmin in late August. The issue was intermittent spontaneous rebooting, nearly always preceded by the ownship "jumping" around on the map, sometimes by hundreds of miles. It happened much more frequently in warm weather than in cold, and that pattern was consistent enough that I suspected a failed internal cooling fan.

The avionics shop talked to Garmin today and learned that they had been unable to reproduce the problem, but sent the unit back and charged me their $930 flat rate fee anyway for completely overhauling and recalibrating the unit.

On the 30 minute return flight home, the display was rock solid: no jumping at all, not even a hint. I thought the problem was somehow cured by whatever they did. But after landing at home base, the display suddenly went black without warning. After coming back up, the error code displayed was 0x20, the same as every time before.

Garmin does NOT warranty their service work, even when it is their recommendation to send a unit in. To have them look at it again would cost me another AMU.

Let this be a warning to anyone thinking of sending a Garmin product back to the company for service. Their work is limited in scope, they WILL charge you a pretty penny for it, and you have NO recourse if their service fails to fix the problem.

As far as I'm concerned, Garmin can burn in Hell. :mad2:

TCABM likes this.
  2. Unit74

Unit74 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Unit74
    They did the same thing to me on a 650. When the shop found out it was their software that was causing the issue, they refunded the charge. Play hard ball with them and see where it gets you. File a claim in small claims for fraud. Maybe that will get their attention. They said send it in, then said nothing is wrong, charged you a grand for doing nothing to fix the issue. Sounds like a good case to me.

3. timwinters

timwinters Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    LTD
    If only we had an MC member here who worked for them and could beat some customer service sense into their collective heads!

F Garmin. I've had similar experiences in the past.

4. Unit74

Unit74 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Unit74
    Two Garmin guys, Trek and Steve are very active on Beechtalk. Trek is a supervisor. Might be worth hitting them up over there.

5. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    That's right... Trek Lawler IIRC. Fantastic idea! I will do that... I get the weekly digest and participate there occasionally.

6. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Priyo
    sorry to hear about your experience @azure . this sounds like a warning light for me.... once the GMX 200 and the 480 is dead... may be i should jump ship to Avidyne

TCABM likes this.
  7. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    FWIW, no fault found happens all the time, that troubleshooting is rarely free.

Can you borrow one for troubleshooting from someone?

It sure seems like these were never a very solid product to me, lotta whiz and little bang.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 12:22 PM
    timwinters and KA550 like this.
  8. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    I got an email from the owner of my avionics shop. He thinks the correct conclusion from this is that the fault is likely not internal to the GMX-200, but is being caused by something in the interface with either the GDL-90 or the GDL-69. Possibly even location data being fed from the GDL-90 with a timing delay relative to the direct feed from the GNS-480. I'm skeptical about that because of the temperature dependence, but I suppose there could be something failing in a temperature dependent way in one of those two remote units. So we'll see. Despite my misgivings about Garmin, it seems the only ADS-B solutions that will work for me without replacing virtually my entire avionics suite are from Garmin, so I've decided to go with the GTX-345R, and to pull (or at least disconnect) the GDL-69 as well as the GDL-90, and go with ADS-B for both traffic and weather. If the problem continues after that, the shop will continue to try to troubleshoot with help from Garmin's tech support.

Unfortunately no, the shop doesn't have a spare GMX-200 and I don't know anyone else out here that has one. :(

9. Let'sgoflying!

Let'sgoflying! Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    I dispute all charges that fail to provide the product or service agreed upon, with my credit card company.

dmspilot likes this.
  10. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    I didn't pay Garmin directly, but my avionics shop. Don't exactly want to get on their bad side, and anyway, not their fault.