GMA350 vs GMA350c

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Is the only difference bluetooth?

I wish the Garmin site had a side-by-side comparison.

Since I am replacing both radios, I think now would be a good time to replace my GMA340 audio panel and I really like the 3D audio demo from the 350. Seems great when trying to pickup the ATIS while on a busy Center frequency.

And having BT on the audio panel is a very nice thing. It's worth the small difference in price.

My dad just bought a 182 with a 15 year old GMA340, pretty disappointing as it requires a smashing effort to make some of the buttons work. This airplane lived in a hangar in Wisconsin. I'll stick with PS Engineering and really happy with my PMA8000BT

What is your GPS? If you think down the road you might go Garmin, get the 350C. First, the 350 series offers voice control of your GPS. Look up intellivoice. Second, you want Bluetooth. Days of all these wires is gone. Bluetooth audio in to the panel is sweet. Worth the $100 to get Bluetooth. That was the difference from my installer.

PS Engineering makes good equipment, but I have a GTN750 and voice control of that is worth going Garmin as opposed to PS Engineering.

What is your GPS? If you think down the road you might go Garmin, get the 350C. First, the 350 series offers voice control of your GPS. Look up intellivoice. Second, you want Bluetooth. Days of all these wires is gone. Bluetooth audio in to the panel is sweet. Worth the $100 to get Bluetooth. That was the difference from my installer.

A 750 is being installed. How does the voice control work - do I need a new yoke button beyond PTT?

Yes, you need a yoke button. Here's Garmin's blog showing off the voice control. You can say things like "tune destination atis", "toggle com 2", or "goto traffic page".

It looked like some owners, that paid good money for it, were split about 50/50 regularly using it or not on Beechtalk.

The big thing for me is the 3D audio - having com1 in one ear and com2 in the other (picking up the ATIS) is very nice. There is a demo video of it on YouTube.

The big thing for me is the 3D audio - having com1 in one ear and com2 in the other (picking up the ATIS) is very nice. There is a demo video of it on YouTube.

I think that was pioneered by PS Engineering and comes with the PMA450A, they call it Intelliaudio. http://www.ps-engineering.com/PMA450A.shtml

I'm completely deaf in one ear so I'm missing out on that.

Last edited:

I tried out both the Garmin 350 and the PS Engineering 450A at Oshkosh last week and that 3D feature is even more impressive than the web videos or the website simulators make it seem. They both seem like excellent products so making a choice is challenging.

Above AggieMike88 said the PS Engineering 8000 series is his preference, but I think it's their 450A that's most comparable to the Garmin 350 features, but maybe there's something I am missing?

bnt83 said he's had problems with the buttons on a Garmin audio panel, which seems unlike Garmin. My ancient, well-used GNS units have never had a control button or knob function problem, ever.

bnt83 said he's had problems with the buttons on a Garmin audio panel, which seems unlike Garmin. My ancient, well-used GNS units have never had a control button or knob function problem, ever.

Its strange that the 340 we have has the hard plastic buttons yet every other Garmin product we have (GTN650, GTN 650, GTX 345, GTX 327) all have the softkeys like my PS Engineering 8000BT.

Maybe the 327 has hard plastic too. Flew it 6 hours and touched it twice so I might be wrong.

Its strange that the 340 we have has the hard plastic buttons yet every other Garmin product we have (GTN650, GTN 650, GTX 345, GTX 327) all have the softkeys like my PS Engineering 8000BT.

Maybe the 327 has hard plastic too. Flew it 6 hours and touched it twice so I might be wrong.
The 327 is just like the 330 as far as button feel.

Above AggieMike88 said the PS Engineering 8000 series is his preference, but I think it's their 450A that's most comparable to the Garmin 350 features, but maybe there's something I am missing?
We actually have the PMA450 in our Skylane. And it REALLY is a nice unit. However, as a club owned aircraft, the group finds themselves not really making use of it. We did at first due to the novelty of it, but the velveteen wore off and we don't use that feature very much anymore.

What I really like about the unit is the ease of connecting music sources, and then switching the sources to the desired station. So if I want to listen to my "Best of Dr. Demento", the right seat wants to listen to caribbean classical hip hop, and the rear seat wants Lithuanian Death Rap, that's all possible and we don't have any bleed over.

And the additional USB charging port is useful addition.

I was suggesting the 8000 series because I sorta think of the 3D audio to be more of a novelty want versus an out and out need. The install of the PMA450 will require replacement of the wiring to the plugs on most aircraft, as it needs to be set up for "stereo" between the panel and the plugs. Many aircraft are mono. So this can add some significant cost to the install. The 8000 series, sans Intelliaudio, may not need this. And as a slide in replacement to the Garmin 340, install costs can be kept to a reasonable level.

We actually have the PMA450 in our Skylane. And it REALLY is a nice unit. However, as a club owned aircraft, the group finds themselves not really making use of it. We did at first due to the novelty of it, but the velveteen wore off and we don't use that feature very much anymore.

What I really like about the unit is the ease of connecting music sources, and then switching the sources to the desired station. So if I want to listen to my "Best of Dr. Demento", the right seat wants to listen to caribbean classical hip hop, and the rear seat wants Lithuanian Death Rap, that's all possible and we don't have any bleed over.

I was suggesting the 8000 series because I sorta think of the 3D audio to be more of a novelty want versus an out and out need. The install of the PMA450 will require replacement of the wiring to the plugs on most aircraft, as it needs to be set up for "stereo" between the panel and the plugs. Many aircraft are mono. So this can add some significant cost to the install. The 8000 series, sans Intelliaudio, may not need this. And as a slide in replacement to the Garmin 340, install costs can be kept to a reasonable level.

Thanks for this Mike. Very helpful, practical information to sort out the myriad of options.

Very old panels are mono, Like the King KMA24 series, these are compatible with the PS Engineering 7000 series.

That being said, depending on what is in the airplane typically determines what series new audio panel will be used. The old King panels use edge card contacts that could require reterminating using newer pin/socket type connectors like what the GMA340, PSMA8000/450 series and others use.

PS Engineering panels have lots of backwards compatible options and may require little or no wiring to upgrade.

Last edited:
Another feature of the PMA450 I like is you have a choice of music muting modes. Normal setting will mute the music anytime the radio or intercom is active. I find this a bit annoying because the music will mute anytime someone breathes into their mike, or the air vents blowing in your face cause the intercom to become active.

The mode I use is "karaoke" which does not mute the music when the other comms activate. For this, I just set the music volume to a comfortable background level so I can hear it, ATC, and passengers and the music doesn't interfere.

Another feature of the PMA450 I like is you have a choice of music muting modes. Normal setting will mute the music anytime the radio or intercom is active. I find this a bit annoying because the music will mute anytime someone breathes into their mike, or the air vents blowing in your face cause the intercom to become active.

The mode I use is "karaoke" which does not mute the music when the other comms activate. For this, I just set the music volume to a comfortable background level so I can hear it, ATC, and passengers and the music doesn't interfere.

Thats standard on most of them now I think.

The 450A can make the copilot jacks act the same as a passenger jack tho, preventing ATC audio from going to the copilot's position. My 8000BT doesn't do that.

The 8000 has stereo output so rewire requirements are the same. The 450 is a slide in replacement for the 8000. The price difference is the big thing.

...and if anyone wants to listen to Caribbean classical hip hop or Lithuanian Death Rap they can stay the hell out of my aircraft...

I have the 350c and love intellivoice. Bluetooth my iPhone for music is awesome.

I can't imagine going back to pushing & touching for everything. When busy I rarely have to reach or struggle touching screens on my 750. Tell the gma to show page or tune.

To each his own but voice control is here to stay. You use Siri on your phone? I can't imagine going back here either. You buy the PS and want voice control later? You will wish you bought the Garmin. Another yoke switch is required for intelllivoice. I did both yokes.

And yes, 3D audio is awesome. Love it when listening to approach and the local ctaf or atis. Good luck with your decision. .

Last edited:
Wow, really appreciate all of the kind words about our audio panels.

While we don't have "Telligence" (GARMIN's coinage for Voice Recognition), if you have room for a stand a lone audio panel, I would be glad to answer questions regarding our PMA450A and the GMA350c

One of the biggest difference is the GARMIN's 3D audio and our IntelliAudio is we do not alter intercom audio at all. 3D audio places the copilot in the right ear only, then places Com 2 in the right ear, and then the passenger's kind of sound like they are coming from the back of your head.

We didn't think this was a good use of dimensional sound because you already know who is in your aircraft and will recognize their voices. We felt the pilot can get the most benefit of dimensional sound by creating the ability to place Com 1 and Com 2 in any of the 9 unique positions, including near field at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

There are a lot of things to consider when selecting your audio panel. I will leave by saying that our company has been concentrating on audio control for the last 33 years and continue to provide the best price/performance in audio control.

Really appreciate everyone's support. We sell our products primarily because of word of mouth as well as the belief that our dealers have in us.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
Founder and Chief Bottle (coffee cup) Washer
PS Engineering, Inc.

And if I don't care about voice control?
You don't need it. Everything is accessible through the buttons and touch screen. That said, I would suggest having your installer at least wire it up so you could easily add the button later. You also likely want a "mute traffic" button somewhere.

I have both voice control and 3d audio. Both are fun, but neither is necessary. FWIW, I seem to use the bluetooth to listen to music more often than using voice control or 3d audio.

I'll disagree with the prior post. I can go on that we don't "need" an iPad, Foreflight, Aspen, G500, or most things in folks panel's. Steam gauges have worked for how many years? Do you "need" a GTN750? We buy for features, and once you get used to voice control, you will use it regularly. Bluetooth is great, and I use that less than voice control as I don't always have music but I always swap frequencies and switch GTN pages (traffic and weather).

I appreciate Mark's comments. PS makes good panels and we need good healthy competition in the marketplace as the consumer wins.

We have an older PS Engineering audio panel in our Skylane. Whatever the last model was that had a manual squelch. 7000 I think? 6000? It sits there and runs, and I don't even know, because it just works.

I like to sing along too, and when I bother to dig out the audio cable, since our only way to "share music" is hard wired, anyone on board gets to "enjoy" that. LOL.

One of the ironically HUGE pluses of the old panels with manual squelch though, is that if I know nobody wants to hear me, I can just reach over and crank up only my squelch. Hahaha. The other squelch ring can remain right where it is. (This is also handy for exceedingly noisy mics... can turn up the right/back seater' squelch to kill the noise until we figure out who's head has a vent pointed straight at it and I can still talk to them to explain what is happening.)

To each his own but voice control is here to stay. You use Siri on your phone?

Nope. I've been an iPhone user since early days before Siri and I still rarely talk to my phone. If I need to do voice to text I'll do that, but the most I've used Siri in years is to hear Easter eggs.

Hint: Tell Siri: "I see a little silhouette-o of a man..."

I wouldn't lose any value if Siri suddenly went away. No interest in Alexa or whatever Google's girly named gadget goes by, either.

Most of the time I tell the GPS to shut up. That'd be nice. "GPS, how about you tell me the street to turn on ONCE and then shut the hell up?"

"Ok, Nate. I'll shut up."

Gah.

Realistically what I do 99% of the time is just stream music to the Lightspeed. The only time I dig out the audio cable is if Karen and I are doing a very long XC together. Otherwise nobody wants to hear me singing. Haha.

One shocker was the other day I was really cranking the tunes (I have the Lightspeed set for the auto-ducking mode, but have done it both ways... it's a couple of seconds with a pencil or something pointy to switch the DIP switch) and something with very wide stereo separation came on, and for a second it made me tilt my head sideways wondering what was up, since everything in our airplane is mono.

Then I realized the A2DP streaming is stereo on the Lightspeed even when the headset is in mono mode. LOL.

But I have to say, I really hate the audio shaping Garmin does for "intelligibility" pushing the midrange. At least in the audio portions of their com radios. It works, but I'm an old radio head and know what AM aircraft and a whole bunch of other modulation types sound like generally unmodified and my ears are tuned for that. The flat blah of Garmin audio sucks.

That plus the incredible longevity and solid performance of our current PS product, and every one I've ever used installed in anything, leads me to say I'll probably always lean their way for audio panels, even if I can't avoid the hideous Garmin audio coming from the radios themselves once we put the GTN in. The PS products leave the audio alone and just amplify it. Or so my ears tell me. (I won't say I've been so anal to bust out the audio sweep generator and a service monitor and swept the thing, but it's close. I just MIGHT sweep the difference between the GTN and the King that'll stay as Comm 2 sometime after that install just to see how truly nasty Garmins analog audio shaping is.)

Even if we go "all Garmin" on other stuff, I doubt they could convince me to buy their audio panel ever. @mscheuer will probably like that. No, I don't care if the GPS touch screen can control it or not. Not in the slightest.

About the only nit-picky audio gripe of the older PS products I can even come up with is the mechanical output switching not having a snubbing circuit during the switch itself. POP. Every time you switch the main transmitter through whatever outputs are active. Headphones, speaker.

That should have been considered and the op amp disabled during switching. But it's common of stuff built in that era and would slow the switching process too. The newer stuff being solid state switched, no pops. Can't really complain. The thing was made when through-hole components were the only way to fly. :)

Learned one other "funny" today. Like most PS setups, ours is failsafed to the left seat jacks such that Com 1 goes there if you turn it off. For some reason today I wanted to turn off the audio panel and a couple seconds after I did it, practicing in the right seat for CFI stuff, I realized I had just turned off all my Com audio. LOL. Oops. Can also cut myself off from things sitting over there if I hit the pilot ISO switch instead of putting it into CREW.

Little things you don't think about until you're flying from your own right seat. Ha. Hmm. Audio weirdness. The audio panel thinks I should be sitting over there in that other empty seat. :)

Back