GM reinvented the tailgate

Don't like ratchet straps--they're heavy, awkward to put away and always tangled up. My two ropes are always in the truck; when I kniw I'll be carrying stuff needing to be tied down, I bring more ropes.

https://www.amazon.com/Erickson-34415-Retractable-Ratcheting-Tie-Down/dp/B0056OFWVM

I carry about a dozen of these in my truck for tying down loads. Once I discovered the retractable kind, I never wanted a regular ratchet strap again. Doesn't tangle, no loose ends to tie up.

I have an F350 dually and can’t imagine any other way to get on the truckbed of that truck other than the tailgate step. You can’t just climb on the dually tire and swing your leg over - it’s too far. I suppose you can go penguin-slide onto the tailgate and then get yourself up.

Having said that, it makes the tailgate very heavy which makes it a pain to remove when I want to put on the camper.

My old GMC had a bumper step that I think is a more practical design.

Oh I'm not debating the utility of Ford's tailgate step, I'm just saying most of the trucks I see with them don't appear to get much use out of it. The bumper step GM uses is a good idea in theory, but the height is greater than the middle bumper step, so I'd be more inclined just to use the hitch/center step than the corner steps unless the tailgate was down.

Thanks for the correction. My newest GM is a 2010 Denali, and I think I am still in the all steel 25% tariff era, instead of the new aluminum 10% tariff modern age.
Seriously, I was not aware of what you said there. Thanks!

Not entirely your fault. GM spent the past year or two with commercials talking about how weak Ford's aluminum bed was inferior (simulating dropping a toolbox one time and tearing a hole in the bed). Once GM's newest model came out with an aluminum box, those commercials mysteriously disappeared, lol.

Don't like ratchet straps--they're heavy, awkward to put away and always tangled up. My two ropes are always in the truck; when I kniw I'll be carrying stuff needing to be tied down, I bring more ropes.

Awkward and tangled? How do you manage that? I keep two in the truck, just use a rubber band to hold it in place even though they never had a problem with unraveling without it as long as they aren’t sliding around.
0e890fea413826a02575a52d4d4f818b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My current truck isn’t much fancier than that old Chevy. Basic stripper model where the only options were 8’ box, extended cab, AC and power windows and locks, bought used. Blew a transmission a few months ago (while I was on my way to pick up a Taylorcraft project that I lost out on, which I’m still salty about) but put in a new and upgraded one that should last for a long time.

Any more, I keep 4x roughly 10 foot ratchet straps in one back door pocket, 4x 20 foot ratchet straps in the other back door pocket, and a 25 foot or longer rope under one of the front seats. And I've still found times that by the time I had furniture pads tied down, or items strapped together, I barely had enough to tie it all down.

So far, climbing into the bed with the tailgate closed is easy. Another decade, and I might not still feel that way. As dorky as they look, at times I think the chevy steps in the corners of the bumpers look like a good step towards making it easier to get in with the tailgate open. I just have too many bad experiences helping friends work on GM cars to go that way myself. Of course if I could just get around to loosing 50 lbs, it would probably be about the same as rolling back 10 years off my age.
I like the super duty step. particularly when i'm dressed nice (getting material on the way home from work, like tonight for example). I'm 6'3", but my truck bed is still too high to get in without rubbing your pants and stuff on it, without the step.

The tailgate on my Willys Overland is just a piece of stamped steel. We've come a long way baby.

The new tailgate would be a dream for someone like me.
I drive a 12 YO GMC as my work truck. The most useful part of this new tailgate for me would be the step. Just a couple of years ago I had no problem jumping into the bed. Now I have to watch my step and it's an effort, and I can't imagine this getting better with time. I frequently haul lumber, so the stopper on the tailgate would come in handy. This new tailgate falls in the category of small things that would my my life much easier.

As for retractable ratchet straps, I didn't know they made them until now. Looks handy, but I haul a lot of leaves, mulch, dirt, etc. that get all over the straps, so I'd ruin a good set of retractables pretty quickly. But for day to day use, that looks really handy!
side note: I keep a half dozen ratchet straps in the truck and once a week I'll see someone about to lose something (or they've already lost something)...a mattress about 1/4 of the time...and I'll sell them a ratchet strap for $5. I don't make any money on it, but I tell myself I'm making the roads a little safer.

BIL just bought a 2018 GMC double cab, long box, SRW. $83K

That's just insane.

Totally nuts. A pickup truck is for hauling stuff. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a fancy car. But, I can remember when pickup trucks were less expensive than many cars.

We had a blue collar contractor when I worked for the Navy who needed a new pickup. The local Chevy dealer only had one with a fancy paint job. He took it because he didn't have a choice. The first time he scratched the bed his wife made an issue of it. His response? "Good! It's a truck!" I've never had a new one, just a couple older ones that were already beat up. Sure didn't worry when I dumped a load of something in the back.

Somebody bought a Denali with the "Ultimate Package." Very nice with a lot of features. The remote has all kinds of fuctions and the running boards are nearly automatic.

Back