GM reinvented the tailgate

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by flhrci, Jan 7, 2019.

1. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    https://www.amazon.com/Erickson-34415-Retractable-Ratcheting-Tie-Down/dp/B0056OFWVM

I carry about a dozen of these in my truck for tying down loads. Once I discovered the retractable kind, I never wanted a regular ratchet strap again. Doesn't tangle, no loose ends to tie up.

2. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
  3. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Oh I'm not debating the utility of Ford's tailgate step, I'm just saying most of the trucks I see with them don't appear to get much use out of it. The bumper step GM uses is a good idea in theory, but the height is greater than the middle bumper step, so I'd be more inclined just to use the hitch/center step than the corner steps unless the tailgate was down.

Not entirely your fault. GM spent the past year or two with commercials talking about how weak Ford's aluminum bed was inferior (simulating dropping a toolbox one time and tearing a hole in the bed). Once GM's newest model came out with an aluminum box, those commercials mysteriously disappeared, lol.

Awkward and tangled? How do you manage that? I keep two in the truck, just use a rubber band to hold it in place even though they never had a problem with unraveling without it as long as they aren’t sliding around.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    timwinters likes this.
  4. Pilawt

Pilawt Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilawt
    Fifty years ago [aviation content :p ] ...

1969 Chev truck.jpeg

5. flyer770

flyer770 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flyer770
    My current truck isn’t much fancier than that old Chevy. Basic stripper model where the only options were 8’ box, extended cab, AC and power windows and locks, bought used. Blew a transmission a few months ago (while I was on my way to pick up a Taylorcraft project that I lost out on, which I’m still salty about) but put in a new and upgraded one that should last for a long time.

6. MIFlyer

MIFlyer Line Up and Wait PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    MIFlyer
    I like the super duty step. particularly when i'm dressed nice (getting material on the way home from work, like tonight for example). I'm 6'3", but my truck bed is still too high to get in without rubbing your pants and stuff on it, without the step.

7. cgrab

cgrab Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    cgrab
    The tailgate on my Willys Overland is just a piece of stamped steel. We've come a long way baby.

8. Gerhardt

Gerhardt En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gerhardt
    The new tailgate would be a dream for someone like me.
    I drive a 12 YO GMC as my work truck. The most useful part of this new tailgate for me would be the step. Just a couple of years ago I had no problem jumping into the bed. Now I have to watch my step and it's an effort, and I can't imagine this getting better with time. I frequently haul lumber, so the stopper on the tailgate would come in handy. This new tailgate falls in the category of small things that would my my life much easier.

As for retractable ratchet straps, I didn't know they made them until now. Looks handy, but I haul a lot of leaves, mulch, dirt, etc. that get all over the straps, so I'd ruin a good set of retractables pretty quickly. But for day to day use, that looks really handy!
    side note: I keep a half dozen ratchet straps in the truck and once a week I'll see someone about to lose something (or they've already lost something)...a mattress about 1/4 of the time...and I'll sell them a ratchet strap for $5. I don't make any money on it, but I tell myself I'm making the roads a little safer.

9. Ghery

Ghery Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    Totally nuts. A pickup truck is for hauling stuff. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a fancy car. But, I can remember when pickup trucks were less expensive than many cars.

We had a blue collar contractor when I worked for the Navy who needed a new pickup. The local Chevy dealer only had one with a fancy paint job. He took it because he didn't have a choice. The first time he scratched the bed his wife made an issue of it. His response? "Good! It's a truck!" I've never had a new one, just a couple older ones that were already beat up. Sure didn't worry when I dumped a load of something in the back.

10. flhrci

flhrci En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    David
    Somebody bought a Denali with the "Ultimate Package." Very nice with a lot of features. The remote has all kinds of fuctions and the running boards are nearly automatic.