Gluten Intollerance

Too funny, and sadly true.

My daughter had a reaction to wheat for a while (<10, legit, not a spiritual thing!), and I had to choke down gluten-free bread and try and smile through it for her.

omg, that was perfect. Thank you.
The folks I know with true CD or NCGS are rather annoyed by those who have turned the condition into an attention-getter by the millions who claim it but really do not have it. (although it certainly has driven the market to provide a wider variety of gluten free food availability!)

What they'll figure out after enough time eating disgusting gluten free crap, it it's not the gluten they are intolerant to, it's the GMO gluten, so they can have the free range non GMO organic vegan pizza.

Wife is going thru the FODMAP thingy to see what is causing her issue, tried some of the gluten free bread, never again for me, cardboard has more taste

What they'll figure out after enough time eating disgusting gluten free crap, it it's not the gluten they are intolerant to, it's the GMO gluten, so they can have the free range non GMO organic vegan pizza.

You sometimes shoot wide of the mark, but holy cow did you aim wrong on this. No one has genetically altered gluten. Traits targeting for alteration are things like pest resistance. You're far more likely to react to pesticides than to the genetic alterations that limit their use.

For those not in the know, gluten is what gives bread its puffy texture. It forms a molecular mesh in bread that can trap CO2 bubbles given off by leavening agents like yeasts. Grains that don't have gluten can break this mesh, limiting rise. That's why things like rye breads don't rise very well.

I don't get the current gluten-free trend. The only ones who would have any problems are those with food allergies (rare) and Celiacs (rarer). Anyhow, I like my breads with texture, so I add it. Mrs. Steingar makes seitan, a vegetarian protein additive, which is basically gluten, water, and flavoring. Good stuff too.

You sometimes shoot wide of the mark, but holy cow did you aim wrong on this. No one has genetically altered gluten. Traits targeting for alteration are things like pest resistance. You're far more likely to react to pesticides than to the genetic alterations that limit their use.

For those not in the know, gluten is what gives bread its puffy texture. It forms a molecular mesh in bread that can trap CO2 bubbles given off by leavening agents like yeasts. Grains that don't have gluten can break this mesh, limiting rise. That's why things like rye breads don't rise very well.

I don't get the current gluten-free trend. The only ones who would have any problems are those with food allergies (rare) and Celiacs (rarer). Anyhow, I like my breads with texture, so I add it. Mrs. Steingar makes seitan, a vegetarian protein additive, which is basically gluten, water, and flavoring. Good stuff too.

:rofl: You missed it, I probably should have used smilies. Their conditions and theories need no grounding in reality. See "Chemtrails" for further examples of said behavior.;)

:rofl: You missed it, I probably should have used smilies. Their conditions and theories need no grounding in reality. See "Chemtrails" for further examples of said behavior.;)

Sorry. Unfortunately, lots of things in our society need no grounding in fact. If you don't believe me look at organized religion.

A family friend of mine who is in her 50's has eaten gluten all her life but somehow became intolerant of it in the recent past years. She now has changed her recipes to gluten free and is total anti- gluten. It is surprising how someone can just become gluten intolerant especially in their 50's :rolleyes2:
Are they actually intolerant or is it something between the ears?

Last edited:
A family friend of mine who is in her 50's has eaten gluten all her life but somehow became intolerant of it in the recent past years. She now has changed her recipes to gluten free and is total anti- gluten. It is surprising how someone can just become gluten intolerant especially in their 50's :rolleyes2:
Are they actually intolerant or is it something between the ears?

Are there some people who are gluten intolerant? Yes. Before it became a fad, I knew a girl in England who shopped "gluten free" due to claimed issues. She claimed to experience the same type symptoms from gluten as I with lactose, gas and intestinal distress, IOW something they couldn't digest properly due to missing enzymes or bacteria. In more recent times I have heard all sorts of other symptoms and conditions that are being attributed to gluten, that don't make particular sense to me, but I don't study it.

Last edited:
Are there some people who are gluten intolerant? Yes. Before it became a fad, I knew a girl in England who shopped "gluten free" due to claimed issues. She claimed to experience the same type symptoms from gluten as I with lactose, gas and intestinal distress. In more recent times I have heard all sorts of other symptoms and conditions that are being attributed to gluten, that don't make particular sense to me, but I don't study it.

I agree, there definitely are people with a gluten intolerance. I would imagine most people with true gluten intolerances would know about them at an early age instead of someone in their mid 50's who have been on a normal diet their whole life, but who knows? :dunno:

I agree, there definitely are people with a gluten intolerance. I would imagine most people with true gluten intolerances would know about them at an early age instead of someone in their mid 50's who have been on a normal diet their whole life, but who knows? :dunno:

There are a couple of wildcard factors that could lend validity though.

First issue is one of a low grade infection that Spurs an immune response to collaterally kills the bacteria required.

The second is it's a side effect of an antibiotic exposure.

all's I know is....call it intolerance....sensitivity....or even an allergy.....people change.

Just recently I've discovered a mold allergy that's been birthing all kinds of other symptoms and issues that I'd never imagined.....at 50. :yikes:

btw....that video was hilarious. :rofl:

Last edited:
all's I know is....call it intolerance....sensitivity....or even an allergy.....people change.

Just recently I've discovered a mold allergy that's been birthing all kinds of other symptoms and issues that I'd never imagined.....at 50. :yikes:

You're right, things can change. Not pointing fingers, just something I've thought about.

Uhh... I know you posted that you were kidding here, but to my knowledge there are no commercially used varieties of wheat that have been genetically modified. They're trying a bunch of things, but nothing has been approved anywhere in the world.

Uhh... I know you posted that you were kidding here, but to my knowledge there are no commercially used varieties of wheat that have been genetically modified. They're trying a bunch of things, but nothing has been approved anywhere in the world.

Yeah, I guess I should have added more smilies like:rolleyes2: and :rolleyes:. My landlady/housemate is 100% full kook bat**** crazy on this subject. She thinks that anything not labeled Non GMO is actually a GMO food. She barely believes me about Chemtrails when I explain what contrails are.:rofl:

Last edited:
Just like whiskey, women and pool cues....... I'll take it all straight.

All this crap is just crap. I got a pizza in Boston and the crust was glutton free, not by my choice. I would have rather had toppings on the box and eat that. They taste about the same.

Tell a lie enough times you can create $1 billion market. It is as has made up as global warming. By some of the same people. Read the latest medical journals, they don't even think celiacs disease is associated with gluten intolerance. I know one thing for sure,I am allergic to people that are gluten-free.

Although I agree that gluten intolerance is one of the recent misdiagnosis crazes, it still is a real thing for a small number of people. Like me. I have a family history of Celiac disease, and some family members are so allergic to gluten that bread crumbs in their food equals a trip to the hospital for some epinephrine shots to control the swelling so they don't choke to death. I don't have it that bad but I still have it. I can eat a sandwich and I'm okay, but I don't feel great. If I eat two, I'm getting rashes, puffy swelling and I feel angry and irritable, and it takes about a day for that to wear off.

I don't need the "gluten free" products though. I just adjust my diet accordingly. Rice doesn't bother me. I'm a low carb person for other reasons, so my diet is mostly meat and vegetables. I do like the fact that some restaurants are catering to low carb people, e.g. Carl's, Inn & Out, Habit Burger, and a couple others that offer lettuce wrap as an option to buns though.

btw....that video was hilarious. :rofl:

Sometimes age changes things for the better! I no longer have the level of lactose intolerance I had at 23. The interesting thing is I had strong intolerance as an infant and toddler, then it went away and didn't reappear until I was 23, then it hit hard.:dunno:

Although I agree that gluten intolerance is one of the recent misdiagnosis crazes, it still is a real thing for a small number of people. Like me. I have a family history of Celiac disease, and some family members are so allergic to gluten that bread crumbs in their food equals a trip to the hospital for some epinephrine shots to control the swelling so they don't choke to death. I don't have it that bad but I still have it. I can eat a sandwich and I'm okay, but I don't feel great. If I eat two, I'm getting rashes, puffy swelling and I feel angry and irritable, and it takes about a day for that to wear off.

I don't need the "gluten free" products though. I just adjust my diet accordingly. Rice doesn't bother me. I'm a low carb person for other reasons, so my diet is mostly meat and vegetables. I do like the fact that some restaurants are catering to low carb people, e.g. Carl's, Inn & Out, Habit Burger, and a couple others that offer lettuce wrap as an option to buns though.
that explains all the rants......:nono::yikes:.....:rofl::goofy:

It's all been genetically modified. It was just done using "old-fashioned" techniques such as hybridization with non-wheat plants, backcrossing, and chemical- or radiation-induced mutagenesis. Natural wheat is widely believed to be extinct or close to it.

Rich

Yes. Before it became a fad, I knew a girl in England who shopped "gluten free" due to claimed issues. She claimed to experience the same type symptoms from gluten as I with lactose, gas and intestinal distress, IOW something they couldn't digest properly due to missing enzymes or bacteria.

The maladies are very different in origin. Latose intolerance is indeed due to a lack of beta-galactosidase, the "wild type" human condition. A lot of cultures have grown more tolerant of lactose because of dependence on milk products. Anyhow, if you don't have beta-galactosidase the stuff gets digested by the bacteria in your GI tract, they give off CO2 and methane as fermentation end products.

Gluten can act an an antigen to immune cells in some people. And yes, someone can develop such food allergy late in life. They are sell fairly rare, though.

It's all been genetically modified. It was just done using "old-fashioned" techniques such as hybridization with non-wheat plants, backcrossing, and chemical- or radiation-induced mutagenesis. Natural wheat is widely believed to be extinct or close to it.

Rich

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

The maladies are very different in origin. Latose intolerance is indeed due to a lack of beta-galactosidase, the "wild type" human condition. A lot of cultures have grown more tolerant of lactose because of dependence on milk products. Anyhow, if you don't have beta-galactosidase the stuff gets digested by the bacteria in your GI tract, they give off CO2 and methane as fermentation end products.

Gluten can act an an antigen to immune cells in some people. And yes, someone can develop such food allergy late in life. They are sell fairly rare, though.

Then she's missing out on a lot of good food for the wrong reason.:lol: Not surprising though, most people never really figure out the specifics once they know what products to avoid, they never really figure out what it is in the product specifically. Add in a lazy GP in a system that doesn't want to pay for the testing, and there she is. She's made an assumption of gluten most likely from poor sources and acted on that.

Interesting. Thanks, professor.

Not to sidetrack this too much, but what are your thoughts on the apparent prevalence of peanut allergies? I never, ever heard of that as a kid, but now it seems to be relatively common, or so I've heard.

Not to sidetrack this too much, but what are your thoughts on the apparent prevalence of peanut allergies? I never, ever heard of that as a kid, but now it seems to be relatively common, or so I've heard.

More survivors = increase of gene in society?:dunno:

A very, very good question, one to which I have never seen a satisfactory answer. It is quite real, the level of nut alleges have risen in recent times, as well as the level of general food and contact allergies. My own personal bias is that some sort of pollution is at the heart of it, and with increasing populations the level of the pollutant has risen above threshold levels. I have absolutely no proof of this whatsoever, just my own conjecture.

My own personal bias is that some sort of pollution is at the heart of it [...] I have absolutely no proof of this whatsoever, just my own conjecture.

Chemtrails! :D

On a serious note, it's probably the wider intermingling of food and genes combined with better healthcare. We're undoing millennia of adaptation to local foods and saving the people who get sick from it so they can go on to have sick kids.

A very, very good question, one to which I have never seen a satisfactory answer. It is quite real, the level of nut alleges have risen in recent times, as well as the level of general food and contact allergies. My own personal bias is that some sort of pollution is at the heart of it, and with increasing populations the level of the pollutant has risen above threshold levels. I have absolutely no proof of this whatsoever, just my own conjecture.
What has me baffled is.... I love peanuts....and I tested positive to a peanut in a prick test. Something like 2mm outta 3mm wheal comparison.

I can eat them everyday by the handful....and I have no symptoms.:dunno:

So....what's up with that? Same deal for soy, barley, and basically the legumes.

What I'm learning is that exposure to something can trigger a bunch of other reactions. In my case it was probably mold at the office in the HVAC.....:mad2:

Last edited:

It's probably a combination of factors. When did Epipens and such become prevalent? You introduce Epipens into the school emergency first aid kit, now the nurse saves little Johnny who is the only kid in his generation with said allergies. Last kid that had it died before they could get him to the hospital, my generation there were no Epipens at school. Now little Johnny goes on to have 2 more nut sensitive kids. Now we compound the effect with some poison introduced, perhaps a modern fungicide to replace what was in use prior to the 1970s when the industry underwent major re formulations. Now not only have we increased the number with the genetic predisposition, we have increased the number of those with the predisposition to present as symptomatic as well.

What has me baffled is.... I love peanuts....and I tested positive to a peanut in a prick test. Something like 2mm outta 3mm wheal comparison.

So....what's up with that? Same deal for soy, barley, and basically the legumes.

Similar situation with my 3.5 y/o son. He tested positive for almond allergy via the skin prick test but he's been drinking almond milk without any issues since he came off of formula. Cashews (we know from experience and via the prick test) are not good for the kid. He tested negative on the prick test for peanut allergy, so we're thinking about doing an in-office test for peanuts with him. So far, we're staying away from nuts, dairy, and eggs with him. We've been to the ER twice - once for cashews and once for an unknown reaction to grocery store cupcake icing that was supposedly dairy and egg free. :dunno:

Our other kid (almost 1 y/o) has zero problems with dairy but we haven't tried nuts or eggs with him yet.

Growing up I was definitely one of the "good grief, stop babying your kids with these stupid 'food allergies'" kind of people, but now that I'm living that life (and believe me, it is REAL - I have pictures to prove it) I take back all my ignorant thoughts from before.

What I'm learning is that exposure to something can trigger a bunch of other reactions. In my case it was probably mold at the office in the HVAC.....:mad2:

In scientific terms, the reason is because most peanut allergies are iatrogenic and a good percentage of the rest are bull****.

The iatrogenic cases actually are backed up by British research that has led to the revolotionary "treatment" of peanut allergies with -- are you ready for this? -- peanuts.

You think I'm kidding?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/23/peanut-allergy-cure/23883241/

In a nutshell (hyuk hyuk), the study found that the advice that doctors gave to mothers of infants to withhold peanuts actually increased the rate of peanut allergies, presumably because their first exposure would be dermal rather than by ingestion. Apparently peanut dust is everywhere, and kids who have never eaten peanuts are more likely to have allergic reactions to airborne peanut dust.

So in other words, if the doctors hadn't given the bad advice to avoid peanut products in the first place, the "epidemic" of peanut allergies never would have happened.

Not to worry, though. The medical profession has it all under control. Now they're "treating" the problem by feeding the babies peanut products. Or to put it more cynically, they're telling the mothers to do pretty much what they would have done anyway had they never received the bad medical advice in the first place, and they're calling it "treatment" of the very problem that they created.

So that accounts for most of the allergies. Most of the rest occur in the children of yuppy parents who so desperately need their darling spawn to be "special" in some way -- even if that specialness takes the form of a disability -- that they happily embrace the results of inaccurate skin prick tests despite the fact that it has been demonstrated that as many as 77 percent of patients who have positive reactions to the skin test are at ZERO risk of a systemic anaphylactic reaction to peanuts.

There's your real explanation: Most peanut allergy cases are iatrogenic, and most of the rest are bull****. Only a tiny percentage of kids would actually develop allergies that place them at risk of anaphylaxis if doctors hadn't managed to convince baby food makers and parents that peanut products should be avoided during infancy.

Rich

Huh, interesting. So the lack of exposure as a child makes the reaction more severe, and as a society, we have raised the amount of people who will react to the point of presenting. So now since peanuts are not allowed at school at all, and so many parents are avoiding it prophylacticaly, we'll grow the number of those who will eventually present even further. Lol, nifty.

Back