Global Rotax theft ring to supply Iranian drone engines?

Jim_R

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
Who had "Iranian Rotax global theft ring discovered" on their 2022 bingo card?
How the heck is this cheaper than building a cheap knockoff version?
Can threaten The West but afraid to commit patent infringement?

How the heck is this cheaper than building a cheap knockoff version? Can threaten The West but afraid to commit patent infringement?
I don't know the state of Iran's manufacturing infrastructure, but they've been under various economic sanctions off and on for decades that restrict trade with much of the world, so it may be that things that seem easy for us to do might not be so trivial for them...?

How the heck is this cheaper than building a cheap knockoff version?
Can threaten The West but afraid to commit patent infringement?
For VERY small volume production? I suspect the tooling costs far outweigh the cost shipping stolen engines. You could do a lot of CNC machining out of billets instead of casting, but there are still lot of parts...

Apparently in addition to Rotax engines they are also made up of components bought on the internet. Amazon killer drones anyone?

I feel safe. Drones cant fly a 540. HA ha.
Read an article recently where a hangar was broken into in the south and thieves removed a 540. Most likely use was for airboats.

Wouldn’t it be much less work for them to just ask China to make them cheap knockoffs?

Wouldn’t it be much less work for them to just ask China to make them cheap knockoffs?
Same problem as with locally produced copies. The engines have to actually work for more than a few hours. Ain’t nothing like the real thing, baby.

Same problem as with locally produced copies. The engines have to actually work for more than a few hours. Ain’t nothing like the real thing, baby.

It’s a combat drone, not a airframe that makes TBO

They’re not exactly single-use disposable items, especially if you’re Iran.

I’d wager the quality of a chinesium rotax would meet or exceed that of a Iran produced airframe, it’s also not like they robbed the factory, these are used engines with unknown history they are claiming Iran is stealing

The story seems a little far fetched,

Just put an Apple Air Tag on your Rotax before its stolen and see where it goes.

I’d wager the quality of a chinesium rotax would meet or exceed that of a Iran produced airframe, it’s also not like they robbed the factory, these are used engines with unknown history they are claiming Iran is stealing
It still would take a lot of tooling to make even a crap copy of a Rotax - I doubt that the volume is there to make it pay.
And, even a used Rotax with an unknown history is going to be a pretty good engine.

Is anyone else scratching their head wondering how the mighty Russian military got to the point where they have to import weapons? And from Iran??

Is anyone else scratching their head wondering how the mighty Russian military got to the point where they have to import weapons? And from Iran??

Well I have seen videos of them using old school Garmin GPS on their fighters and helis

Igor: Hello, Garmin tech support? We have 20 GNS 430s that need new screens.

Garmin: Sorry sir, we don’t support those units anymore.

Igor: Ivan, they can’t fix them! Call off invasion…….

It still would take a lot of tooling to make even a crap copy of a Rotax - I doubt that the volume is there to make it pay.
And, even a used Rotax with an unknown history is going to be a pretty good engine.

I’m 99.9% sure china has some chinesium engine that would work on a Iranian made drone

google, looks like a rotax clone to me.
Zongshen Aero C80 Aircraft Engine

I can't FedEx something across the CONUS without costing an arm and a leg, but they can smuggle entire engines across the globe.
You need your passport and in places a visa to cross a border, yet 2+ million people a year walk across all the borders from Venezuela into the USA. Go figure.

I can't FedEx something across the CONUS without costing an arm and a leg, but they can smuggle entire engines across the globe.
Nation states can do whatever they want.

Back