Gliding at last!

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
Got up twice today, in the late stages of what was a perfect soaring day. Flew quite a bit of the second takeoff and tow, boxed the wake a little, tried to keep up with Turbo the tow pilot as he hunted for the perfect thermal, did some slow flight and stalls, and tried not to be distracted by the incredible serene beauty of this kind of flying. The moment after that hook bangs open and the line shoots away is really something special... I highly recommend it. :D

I've flown with Herb before in his RV-4, but this was the first time he was officially my instructor... I found his "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron" gunsight analogy, complete with Prussian accent, to be very useful for staying with the towplane... LOL! This is going to be a fun summer. :D

I had time during the first tow to take a snapshot...

Attachments

• rot07010809.JPG
    rot07010809.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Yeah, you had some decent looking Cu's there. BTW, how does one box the wake "a little"? :D:dunno:

cool sean.

as the towpilot, ive always thought it would be fun to 'box the glider' or maybe when the glider starts to go to the side, follow it.

thats sweet Pete, love the high def stuff.

Yeah, you had some decent looking Cu's there. BTW, how does one box the wake "a little"? :D:dunno:
Well, when the towplane pilot decides to- cough- start turning every time you finally get it down into a corner, just out of the wake...:rolleyes: :dunno:

Apparently it was a test of some kind. :rolleyes::D

But no big- I got the gist of it, and if I bribe him with a good cigar maybe he'll keep it straight a little longer next time, so I can actually work on it. :D

The lift was better before we went up- when I got there H. had another student up in the 33 for just over an hour on a 3000-ft tow (they could have stayed up longer).

But by the time I went, it was already getting a little shady and cooling off a bit- we found some narrow columns but nothing worth working I guess. There was enough lift to keep us going for about 20 mins. each time, though... time enough to touch on the basics, including some stalls, which were very peculiar to me... odd contraptions, these gliders. :D

cool sean.

as the towpilot, ive always thought it would be fun to 'box the glider' or maybe when the glider starts to go to the side, follow it.

Apparently you're not the only towpilot who thinks that way...:rolleyes:

Fair enough, though- I jerked him around a little just trying to keep my pitch right in the tow.

well actually, as a towpilot, i usually try to keep it straight during wake boxes. perhaps thats just the CFIG in me. but ive often thought about goofing around with the glider pilot when its a more experienced guy back there, not a beginning student.

goofing around with the glider pilot when its a more experienced guy back there, not a beginning student.
Be honest, have you EVER boxed the wake in a non-training environment? Heck, the tow hook on my Std Cirrus was just in front of the gear. You couldn't go to low tow unless you wanted to risk a serious rope entanglement.:hairraise:

Be honest, have you EVER boxed the wake in a non-training environment? Heck, the tow hook on my Std Cirrus was just in front of the gear. You couldn't go to low tow unless you wanted to risk a serious rope entanglement.:hairraise:

i dont think that i have, but occasionally our guys will do it just for a little practice and to break up a long tow. although, nearly all of the gliders on our field are nose hooked, except for the Foka 4 and Ka6, so we dont really have to worry about things like that

Hey Guy's
Herb usally tells me when they are going to practice boxing the wake and I give them nice long straight pulls. This first and second flight for Rotty I tried to get him in a good position to find some lift so he would have a nice first few flights. Well, I guess it's training time so, "NO SOARING FOR YOU"

Mike

Hey Guy's
Well, I guess it's training time so, "NO SOARING FOR YOU"

Mike
Mike, No. You're doing the right thing. A good CFIG should be training his/her student for soaring. That way it's a certificate for life. Just training to the glider PTS is a disservice to the student. Unfortunately, like CFIIs who have never been in a cloud, you can get a CFIG without ever working a thermal. Both situations are bad deals for the students. Rant off.

Hey Guy's
Herb usally tells me when they are going to practice boxing the wake and I give them nice long straight pulls. This first and second flight for Rotty I tried to get him in a good position to find some lift so he would have a nice first few flights. Well, I guess it's training time so, "NO SOARING FOR YOU"

Mike

OK by me...I feel I have a long way to go just to fly that thing in a coordinated manner. Still very alien to me.

Well, when the towplane pilot decides to- cough- start turning every time you finally get it down into a corner, just out of the wake...:rolleyes: :dunno:

Apparently it was a test of some kind. :rolleyes::D

But no big- I got the gist of it, and if I bribe him with a good cigar maybe he'll keep it straight a little longer next time, so I can actually work on it. :D

There is no reason not to box the wake in turns. The main thing that is different is that the horizon is moving. But, most training glider/ towplane combos will do it just fine. Good luck and glad you are finally getting some glider time.

MM

There is no reason not to box the wake in turns. The main thing that is different is that the horizon is moving. But, most training glider/ towplane combos will do it just fine. Good luck and glad you are finally getting some glider time.

MM
Believe me I tried, but going all the way around when the towplane is turning randomly is no easy feat on your second flight ever!

Back