Glideslope Required...

pstan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I'm looking at the LDA dme rwy 28R San Franciso, Calif, KSFO. There are no minimums line for an LDA only, just for "LDA/GS". "Procedure not authorized when glideslope is not available". Can anyone provide a reason why this approach was not "TERPed" for a non precision approach, ie using loc dme and providing an mda? Certainly, dme can be used for the missed approach point.

Stan

I'm looking at the LDA dme rwy 28R San Franciso, Calif, KSFO. There are no minimums line for an LDA only, just for "LDA/GS". "Procedure not authorized when glideslope is not available". Can anyone provide a reason why this approach was not "TERPed" for a non precision approach, ie using loc dme and providing an mda? Certainly, dme can be used for the missed approach point.

Stan
Check out the AAUP for the LDA PRM RWY 28R (SIMULTANEOUS CLOSE PARALLEL) approach. Look under "1. ATIS."

I think the LDA DME RWY 28R is an optional procedure for pilots arriving without the qualifying special training. See also the AAUP for the ILS PRM RWY 28L last paragraph. You don't want to be "diving and driving" to MDA altitudes with all that wake turbulence going on next to you.

dtuuri

Stan

For traffic requirements they want the airplanes on that LDA to be at the same altitude at any given distance from the threshold. ATC has a major input into IAPs at an airport like SFO.

Also, the FAA is doing its best to shove 15 pounds into a 5 pound bag because the local voters nixed a plan several years ago that would have made this substandard air carrier airport meet modern standards considering the amount of airline traffic that uses the airport.

Those same voters ***** to no end when the wx is bad and the airport experiences significant delays.

Traffic requirements, ok I guess I can understand that. thanks aTerp

Back