Glideslope replacement for ki-208

zcv7853

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
zcv7853
Hey all, new to POA and a fairly recent Grumman AA1 owner.

I recently removed all the old avionics and installed new (used) ones.

I installed a KX-125 nav-comm and would like to add glideslope functionality. My ki-208 that was installed when I bought it works, but it not smooth in its operation and therefore useless due to accuracy error.

Question is - what should I replace the 208 with?

Maybe ditch your DG and the 208 and drop a HSI in.

Maybe ditch your DG and the 208 and drop a HSI in.
would certainly entertain the idea. My current DG is vacuum driven and I would like to swap it out.

Specific make/model that will work with kx-125?

Thanks!

Think the King KI525 will, lots of em on eBay

Here's a whole system, I've seen them cheaper though
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Bendix-King-K...2-060-0015-00-xx4559-/262525054627?nav=SEARCH

$_3.JPG

Or maybe if you could piece a EHSI system together with a SN3308?

That's what I have in my plane and I love it.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Sandel-SN3308-/222195601310?nav=SEARCH

79c8_35.JPG

There is no way I'd try to cram that into an AA1 (Cessna 150 of the Grummans)

There is no way I'd try to cram that into an AA1 (Cessna 150 of the Grummans)

Keep in mind you're you're removing a instrument too, this would replace one nav head and the DG.

Heck if one day he combined the HSI/EHSI with that dynon that EAA is getting approved (if it's available for the AA1) you could ditch your entire vac system, you'd have a WAAY better panel, better scan and probably shed a pound or two in the process.

Hey all, new to POA and a fairly recent Grumman AA1 owner.

I recently removed all the old avionics and installed new (used) ones.

I installed a KX-125 nav-comm and would like to add glideslope functionality. My ki-208 that was installed when I bought it works, but it not smooth in its operation and therefore useless due to accuracy error.

Question is - what should I replace the 208 with?

http://www.bennettavionics.com/kx125.html

• If you would like Glideslope capability, it will interface with either a remote Glideslope Receiver (such as the KN-75) or an Indicator with an internal Glideslope Receiver (such as the KI-214).

Keep in mind you're you're removing a instrument too, this would replace one nav head and the DG.

Heck if he combined the SN3308 with that dynon that EAA is getting approved (if it's available for the AA1) you could ditch your entire vac system, you'd have a WAAY better panel, better scan and probably shed a pound or two in the process.

That's a big assumption, I'd guess that the Dynon STC was issued based on KEEPING the vacuum system, another assumption as I have not read the installation instructions or know of where to get them...

The dynon thing is still in its early stages, that said for IFR ops a HSI really is nice to have, and in a small panel, like a AA1, combining two instruments into one HSI really is a nice upgrade.

Besides I can't remember the last time I had to set my DG to my compass ;)

KI525 is too much stuff and out of my price range. Good thought though thx.

The SN3308 looks very interesting. Hadn't thought of AHRS or a glass option. Still not sure if it is what I am looking for yet. trying to keep it cheap.

I did see the 214 advice as well on that website, however I was interested in a somewhat newer alternative. Basically any indicator that has a built in glideslope receiver....?

KI525 is too much stuff and out of my price range. Good thought though thx.

The SN3308 looks very interesting. Hadn't thought of AHRS or a glass option. Still not sure if it is what I am looking for yet. trying to keep it cheap.

I did see the 214 advice as well on that website, however I was interested in a somewhat newer alternative. Basically any indicator that has a built in glideslope receiver....?

There aren't any "NEWER" indicators that contain a glideslope receiver that is intended to be paired with a non-glideslope nav/com.

The only instrument that has a glideslope that I can think of, and isn't 30 years old, is the Val Avionics products. A stand-alone VOR/MRK/GS receiver indicator + other functions.

http://www.valavionics.com/ins-429.html

Yes I know this thread is 2 months old.... Spending a lot of time on upgrades and school.

I knew I was having issues and decided to fly the plane a bit (VFR only!) and see what else needed attention. I now have 3 Instruments that are INOP and need to do something. I have a bit more cash now for an upgrade project. 2-3k range.

The amount of inop equiptment leads me to think I am in need of a HSI or glass option. That SN3308 is certainly an persuading idea.
- Attitude Indicator - Vac driven
- DG - Vac driven
- Ki-208 still inop

I found a 3308 on barnstormers for 900... I might go that route with an electric AI. Thoughts?

If there is an all in one solution I would be interested. I fly avidyne systems for school but I believe that requires backup instruments and is quite a bit expensive.

Thank you all in advance,

You may have a vacuum problem...

Interesting that the Sandel 3308 wants you to replace the bulb in it every 225 hours or every 12 months, whichever is first. They also issued a letter saying the bootleg lightbulb kits are illegal and that the owner/operator can't change them under preventative maintenance, so potentially two separate FAA violations there.

So how much does it cost to have someone change the bulb using a genuine one with FAA traceability?

http://www.sandel.com/sn3308/sn3308-support

Sandel is free to make that statement, but it's unclear in the case of most of us non-commercial operators if it has any force of law. While this is a more specialized light bulb, it isn't that exotic. While SANDEL can write all the scare letters they want and even turn them into Service Bulletins, it doesn't necessarily make it binding. You'll have to follow your own believe of the rules as to whether changing a light bulb can be done legally or not. The reliance on a single, not changeable in flight, bulb just indicates what a horrendously lousy design the Sandel is.

Sandel is free to make that statement, but it's unclear in the case of most of us non-commercial operators if it has any force of law. While this is a more specialized light bulb, it isn't that exotic. While SANDEL can write all the scare letters they want and even turn them into Service Bulletins, it doesn't necessarily make it binding. You'll have to follow your own believe of the rules as to whether changing a light bulb can be done legally or not. The reliance on a single, not changeable in flight, bulb just indicates what a horrendously lousy design the Sandel is.

I agree.

I suspect the conversation would go:

Owner: Is this bulb legal?

FAA: Do you have traceability?

Owner presents receipt from online purchase at www.bulbs.com

FAA: Then no its not. It has not been through any FAA approved quality system. The manufacturer of the instrument didn't approve that bulb. Given its critical nature to the successful operation of the instrument, its not legal. www.bulbs.com doesn't hold parts manufacturing approval or drop ship authority to sell those bulbs for installation in a Sandel 3308.

I am sure there is something wrong with my Vac system....

Some backstory -
Purchased the plane and flew it home. After a perfect 1 hour into the flight the vacuum system showed 0inhg and upon landing found a sheared vac pump.

Got it home and replaced the pump along with new hoses/clamps. Vac gauge shows 3-3.5

closed off the AI side of vac system and gauge reads 5-6 and DG still tumbles in a 30degree turn

Really tired of messing with it and I wouldn't trust it in the soup anyways. Looking for alternative option. =(

After my summer experience behind the Sandel, I wouldn't buy one. Ever.

The airplane is still flying on a loaner, and the original has been out to them for repair for a month or so.

The loaner is misprogramed, to add insult to injury so VNAV GPS stuff was unusable, and it popped up a warning that the aircraft's 400 Hz AC system had "failed" every 10 minutes or so, in an aircraft that never had such a thing.

I'd stay far away, but that's just my opinion.

I have a vacuum attitude indicator for sale in the classifieds section. I had an HSI too, but another POAer already picked it up. Doesn't help get rid of vacuum for you, though.

It looks like eBay has some electric attitude indicators for under $600.

I am sure there is something wrong with my Vac system....

Some backstory -
Purchased the plane and flew it home. After a perfect 1 hour into the flight the vacuum system showed 0inhg and upon landing found a sheared vac pump.

Got it home and replaced the pump along with new hoses/clamps. Vac gauge shows 3-3.5

closed off the AI side of vac system and gauge reads 5-6 and DG still tumbles in a 30degree turn

Really tired of messing with it and I wouldn't trust it in the soup anyways. Looking for alternative option. =(

Welcome to aircraft ownership. Three drink minimum, pay the mechanic's assistant at the door.

Have you checked the main filter? I only ask because it's a commonly overlooked thing by new pilot/owners on vacuum systems and an even larger source of general problems that don't seem to follow a particular instrument or stick to a specific sub-system.

Most single engine Cessna drivers couldn't even point out where the vacuum filter is located. Ask some sometime. It's entertaining. A few will even attempt to go find it in the book, and usually fail.

Clog the thing up, you'll keep wearing out vacuum pumps and swapping instruments and what not until you go insane.

It pays to know your aircraft's systems.

Try that scenario sometime on your friends. "You're stuck hundreds of miles from home and suspect that your entire vaccuum system is performing poorly. What would you check first?"

After they fumble around on that one for a while, hint... "Does the vacuum system have a filter? Where is it? Is it in the cabin or under the cowl? Can you point it out? Can it be bypassed somehow?"

Unlike silly regulations and stump the monkey questions from those, this one actually has real world value, and often educates people.

Back