Glider Racing Online

Very good race today. The winner, Kawa, in his Diana 2, got high and I saw speeds up to 142 kts in his final glide! Definitely in the yellow arc. :yesnod:

i wonder what the glide ratio is at those speeds in the Diana. Dick Johnson measured the best glide at 45:1. Pretty impressive for a 15m glider.

Last edited:
i wonder what the glide ratio is at those speeds in the Diana. Dick Johnson measured the best glide at 45:1. Pretty impressive for a 15m glider.

According to the polar found here at the highest wingloading polar (57.7 kg/m^2) you are descending a mere 2.8 m/s while traveling at 250 km/h (polar didn't got all the way to 142kts/263 km/h) Which if my math doesn't fail me is around 25:1 (ok 24.8:1)

wow. i'll think of that the next time im scraping along doing 49 mph at 23:1...

Well that was a claculated polar, so it may be a couple points off as well.

He was actually 10 or 11 km out with 1,000 meters to burn. That's 10:1. The commentator said he couldn't get down at 10:1 without the plane coming apart.:rofl:
SZD advertises 50:1 in the 15m configuration (52:1 in 18M :D). Was Johnson's test on a Diana 2?

Looks like it was done on the Diana 1

Attachments

• Diana.pdf
    752.8 KB · Views: 1
Sebastian Kawa, Poland, flying a Diana 2 won today's task and the overall contest. He's clearly a brilliant glider pilot. Thank you Tony for posting the link. I blew a lot of hours watching, but I found it fascinating.

cool! i think this style of racing is really the future of the sport if it ever really gains national or international attention. i really enjoyed your play by play reports too, since I couldn't watch the live feed.

Back