Glasair III painting fun

Todd Copeland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Glasair pilot
Well, been building for five years. Painting almost five months, and probably another 6 weeks to go on the paint work as I have to finish the paint scheme, do some small area reworks, then clear coats. But I'm close to that first flight and I can't wait!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 167
I can't seem to get more than one picture in a post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    695.1 KB · Views: 102
There is still a missing check at the back, that because of how I am doing the markings as it wraps underneath. Here, the first row is shown and the missing check in the back is easily understood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 105
That is a slick looking paint scheme! And a slick looking plane you're putting it on too.

Well, been building for five years. Painting almost five months, and probably another 6 weeks to go on the paint work as I have to finish the paint scheme, do some small area reworks, then clear coats. But I'm close to that first flight and I can't wait!

Are you doing the painting yourself? I painted my RV and found it to be a much more time consuming process than I'd assumed. Your scheme is a bit more complicated than mine was, which only adds to the fun.

The good thing is you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.:yesnod:

Are you doing the painting yourself? I painted my RV and found it to be a much more time consuming process than I'd assumed. Your scheme is a bit more complicated than mine was, which only adds to the fun.

The good thing is you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.:yesnod:

Yes,
All the paint work my dad and I are doing. Yes, a lot of work, we are four months into it now. Got the checkers done today, couple of little fixes to do but it's alsmost there now. It is a lot of fun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
Looks GREAT,,,,,,

I built my 801, fabricated ALL the custom machined parts, painted it myself and now have 500+ hours, 11 years and 100,000 miles on it.....

That is over 4 times around the world at the equator.........

All that while using a Ford auto engine conversion I designed.....

I am a HAPPY experimental guy...:yes::):):):)..

Fly safe in your new toy.....:yes:

Ps..Scaling out the checker board design is ALOT of work, and yours looks PERFECT..... Congrats...:cheers:

Last edited:
Nice paint scheme! I'll be looking at getting mine painted next year. 27 year old paint job needs updating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 50
Nice looking paint ,not sure if I could wait to fly it.

Looks GREAT,,,,,,

I built my 801, fabricated ALL the custom machined parts, painted it myself and now have 500+ hours, 11 years and 100,000 miles on it.....

That is over 4 times around the world at the equator.........

All that while using a Ford auto engine conversion I designed.....

I am a HAPPY experimental guy...:yes::):):):)..

Fly safe in your new toy.....:yes:

Ps..Scaling out the checker board design is ALOT of work, and yours looks PERFECT..... Congrats...:cheers:

That's impressive. Most conversion engines aren't impressive but your stats are! Wow, congratulations on that accomplishment.

Paint looks great. You will love flying this plane. Had mine up at 15500 ft yesterday. 11.2 GPH turning 209 knots true. Literally getting 20 MPG.

Back