Glasair III owner here - intoduction

4-P is a great plane, but not my style. The Glasair handles like a guidable .308 rifle. I like the seating position and the visibility better as well. The gear is also stronger and it handles better. If you need 4 seats the 4P, 4, and ES make a lot of sense.

[...] If you need 4 seats the 4P, 4, and ES make a lot of sense.

Especially the ES models seem to be quite affordable, the specs and looks are IMHO also very appealing (at least to me). Looking at all the horror stories however... :dunno:

The horror stories are mostly from those that cannot handle the plane. A gentleman just flew a non-turbo IV around the world including going over both poles in something like 23 days. He had legs that exceeded 35 hours. He did it without de-ice as well.

The horror stories are mostly from those that cannot handle the plane.

And that's the real issue. Knowing when you can, or can't handle the plane. Clearly many folks tell themselves they can when in fact it's too much for them. I personally would not touch that plane. I know it's more plane than I can handle. I don't lie to myself about my skills. I think a better four passenger kit plane for most GA pilots is the Vans RV-10. Way more forgiving of mediocre skills. Possibly also a Velocity. The stall proof design is appealing.

Re: Glasair III owner here - introduction

I've never flown one, but I would like to develop my skills so that I could handle such a plane. (Not really sure how to go about that though.)

It really doesn't take much skill, just a different set of skills. You fly it with slight pressures on the stick and manage airspeed more precisely. People get in trouble in planes like the Glasair when they try to fly them like a 172. When you point the nose down 5 degrees in the Glasair and leave power set at cruise you will be coming down at 250+ knots indicated and 4-5k ft per minute.

The biggest mistake people make is maneuvering for landing getting into a stall/spin condition low to the ground. You simply start the pattern slightly higher, keep the airspeed up, and the nose down. It really is an easy plane to fly - just just have to get used to the difference.

Had a great time at the BeechTalk Fly-In down in Knoxville. Great dinner and then BBQ for lunch today. Did a high speed pass on my way home. Arlen caught it and put it on YouTube. Had to dodge some thunderstorms coming home at 15.5k. Still could get 204 knots on 12 GPH. Not too bad at that altitude.

https://youtu.be/-R2-blUykyY

Attachments

• T-Stroms.jpg
    T-Stroms.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 48
Nice! That's AWSOME Todd. After watching it again, the only thing I would add is smoke! I have a smoke take in mine and plan to put it to good use doing things just like that.

Last edited:
I saw this plane today. Every bit as beautiful as the pics.

Thanks guys - the smoke would be neat. I really wanted to do an Immelmann after the pass, but figured it was not a good idea and smoke would have left the evidence :) I thought doing a 250 knot pass was enough. :nono:

Attachments

• MAX_3154.JPG
    MAX_3154.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 66
Thanks guys - the smoke would be neat. I really wanted to do an Immelmann after the pass, but figured it was not a good idea and smoke would have left the evidence :) I thought doing a 250 knot pass was enough. :nono:

Sure did sound DAMN kool though.....:yes::yes::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh no! What a shame to let such a beauty go. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, it stinks. I have a lot on my plate right now. I'm in the middle of a big transition at one of my businesses, son going to college (and coming to work for me), and semi-retirement plans. My doctor has given me an ultimatum on my lifestyle. I am taking his advice. I will fly it until it sells. Going to FL again in July if I still own it. It is one of the best X-Country singles out there.

Yeah, it stinks. I have a lot on my plate right now. I'm in the middle of a big transition at one of my businesses, son going to college (and coming to work for me), and semi-retirement plans. My doctor has given me an ultimatum on my lifestyle. I am taking his advice. I will fly it until it sells. Going to FL again in July if I still own it. It is one of the best X-Country singles out there.
this thread made me seriously research the Glasair. I need a six pass for 4 more years man this sucks....

I'm a 6'5" owner of an early and fast Mooney. I'm looking for my next step up, and the Glasair III is about the only plane I consider in the running right now.

But I don't want to get my hopes up or even start drooling over those planes if I cannot fit into one. You guys who own them, will I be able to fit and wear a headset, or am I going to bang my head into the canopy? I've got a little more length in my torso and have standard-length legs.

Thanks for your advice.

Dave

I'm a 6'5" owner of an early and fast Mooney. I'm looking for my next step up, and the Glasair III is about the only plane I consider in the running right now.

But I don't want to get my hopes up or even start drooling over those planes if I cannot fit into one. You guys who own them, will I be able to fit and wear a headset, or am I going to bang my head into the canopy? I've got a little more length in my torso and have standard-length legs.

Thanks for your advice.

Dave

First post....

Welcome to POA......:cheers::cheers:

Thanks for your advice.

Dave
Dave,
It will depend on the particular Glasair you look at. It is possible for you to fit but it depends on the builders choice of panel height, and location and the rudder pedal setup. There are also strategies you can employ to make them fit. With not too much work you can move the seat back and sweatpants a little aft which would give you more room. It may not take that much depending on your legs vs torso length. I've chosen to minimize the cushions in my glasair to maximize the roominess. I'm 6,1, 230lbs and I fit fine. The cockpit width is the same as a Cessna 172.

You could consider wearing a clarity aloft (or similar) headset instead of an over the head type also...

You could consider wearing a clarity aloft (or similar) headset instead of an over the head type also...

One of the largest headset dealers (Tina's Pilot Shop) operates out of my airport (52F in Texas) and she said she has lots of those returned by pilots who imagined they would cut out all the noise. Apparently they work a whole lot better in an airliner cockpit than in a loud GA cockpit.

I just don't want to give up the option of a nice thick seat cushion. I've gotten used to my old Mooney seat that is still comfortable after 4 hours of flying, while most airliner seats turn into torture devices after about 2.

What's the best way to find out if there are any Glasair 3's at my airport without paying to join the Glasair Aircraft Owners Association?

One of the largest headset dealers (Tina's Pilot Shop) operates out of my airport (52F in Texas) and she said she has lots of those returned by pilots who imagined they would cut out all the noise. Apparently they work a whole lot better in an airliner cockpit than in a loud GA cockpit.

I just don't want to give up the option of a nice thick seat cushion. I've gotten used to my old Mooney seat that is still comfortable after 4 hours of flying, while most airliner seats turn into torture devices after about 2.

What's the best way to find out if there are any Glasair 3's at my airport without paying to join the Glasair Aircraft Owners Association?

:confused: I use Clarity Aloft in all sorts of noisy planes just fine.:dunno:

There are a few glasair III's that I know of in the State of Texas. PM me with your contact info and exact location and I'll see if I can put you into contact with someone.

You will not fit in a III that is not modified. My son is 6'2" with long legs and is maxed out.

Terrible news today. According to the Glasair Owners Association Todd passed unexpectedly this morning. 47 years old.

Condolences of the family.

Very sad.

Terrible news today. According to the Glasair Owners Association Todd passed unexpectedly this morning. 47 years old.

Condolences of the family.

Very sad.

Holy crap.....:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Ps....

Which Todd???

Last edited:
Terrible news today. According to the Glasair Owners Association Todd passed unexpectedly this morning. 47 years old. [...]

Todd Sanderson!!?? He posted just yesterday!? :eek:
Crap... So sorry... :sad: :sad:

Todd Sanderson!!?? He posted just yesterday!? :eek:
Crap... So sorry... :sad: :sad:

Based on the above post, I'm guessing it's Sanderson. Likely a heart defect or something.

Really a sad tragedy for the family. Same thing happened to my ex boss, died in his sleep at 49. Heart defect. An extremely popular businessman with a budding restaurant franchise in our community just died last week suddenly the same, heart failure. He was 35 with a wife and two young children.

Todd likely went with no suffering and he by the looks of it, lived life to the fullest and did very well. Well done fellow aviator, now RIP and you are now free to go as fast through the air as you want.

I never thought I would read my obituary. I just asked my wife and she says I am still alive. Is it Todd Copeland? I sure hope not.

I never thought I would read my obituary. I just asked my wife and she says I am still alive. Is it Todd Copeland? I sure hope not.

Glad you are still alive and kickin. If you haven't joined already, welcome to the club of aviators who have been feared dead but are actually fine.

Holy crap, man! The 'news' really troubled me yesterday, even though all I know about you are your videos and posts. :(

Glad to hear that you are OK! :yes:

I'm fine guys, but concerned about the other Todd with the Glasair. Anyone have anymore information??

Sorry to hear about the heart defect the flying armchair surgeon squadron assigned you.

Where's that facepalm smiley I used to love from beechtalk? :D

Well Sanderson has checked in.. Thank god you are OK.....

Anyone heard from Copeland?,..:confused::confused:

Back