Glasair III firewall installed!

Todd Copeland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Glasair pilot
Getting close now. Firewall was a big project in itself. Now with it done I can reinstall the fwf (already roughed in as part of the process). Going forward it's more a more direct path of assembly for the last time. Feeling good about my chances to fly it this year now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 101
That is going to be quite a ride.
I would enjoy it. Considered getting one myself.
I lived in Pittsburgh for a couple years and got my instrument rating at KAGC.

That is going to be quite a ride.
I would enjoy it. Considered getting one myself.
I lived in Pittsburgh for a couple years and got my instrument rating at KAGC.

I got my private at KAGC! Small world. Come through in about 6-9 months and I'll take you up in the Glasair. If you buy yours sooner, come by and take me up!

Gorgeous man, just totally beautiful. Am overhauling everything FWB (canard) and can appreciate how clean a slate that is to work with. Power forward and keep posting progress!

Update. Reinstalled the engine today. Final wire hookups, fuel, control cables, and fwf will be done. Feel like I'm getting somewhere now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,007 KB · Views: 49
Looking good Todd. You doing a plenum or just sticking with stock baffling?

Woohoo! Congrats. That thing is going to haul a$$. Keep us updated on first flight.

Standard baffling on this. Been a long project and I have no desire to make it longer at this point. Probably a later modification.

Yeah I don't think I've heard of a plenum need on a III anyway. 220 kts should keep all the CHTs pretty cool. Just seems like a lot of the projects these days are going the plenum route.

Yeah I don't think I've heard of a plenum need on a III anyway. 220 kts should keep all the CHTs pretty cool. Just seems like a lot of the projects these days are going the plenum route.

Won't be needed for cooling but a plenum would allow for smaller air intake area which in turn means reduced drag. There are some Glasairs built with plenum so but I've not seen any analysis on any speed increases from it.

Back