Glad I didn't go to the race...Indy Car

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
30 minutes away is Barber Motorsports racetrack where Indy Cars are trying to race in this rain storm. They're on their second red flag stop, and it's still raining. Front stretch has lots of water so the cars are hydroplaning.

Sooo, glad I didn't go. Maybe they'll call it and run it tomorrow. But, forecast is for rain so we'll see.

I don't blame you for not going. Back in my racing day watching indy cars was like watching a carousel. After a few laps the cars get into a long line and there they stay. Cue the calliope music. Someone drops out and the crowds go wild because some cars just moved up a position without passing anyone..!!! Plus on the road courses it was watch a little section of road....wizzzz... a car goes by. Don't know who it is and don't know what place they are in, but I am pretty sure a car went by.

I did alcohol sales at a couple indy car races. Real yawner. (alcohol for fuel, not drinkin')

Barbers is a road course and they do pass, gets exciting. Stock car races fun to go to also. Guess I like em all.

For spectator excitement nothing can get more exciting that a dirt track race.

Except maybe a good demolition derby....and maybe a demo derby where the participants may have been drinking before the green flag.....

Is the track near you the one at B'ham..??

I almost bought a Formula Ford once. There was at least 2 or 3 Formula Ford races a year at the old Texas World Speedway, which was almost in my back yard. Then I found out they use a Pinto motor and not much modification was allowed. This was more than 30 years ago and the cars looked similar to the included picture.

historic-formula-ford-race-car-at-oulton-park-motor-racing-circuit-BPPX5H.jpg

Motocross and MotoGP. I wish they still had MotoGP races at Barber

Yeah just outside of BHM. Gonna run it tomorrow so I might slip out there. Talledega about an hour away, not sure if I'll go. Can't take the heat for 4-5 hours watching it. Used to be a lot of fun to go though. Crazy ass place!

I went to the Indy 500 numerous times and always thought there was a good amount of passing and great racing. Of course that was back in the days of Mears, Unsers, Andrettis, Foyt, Sneva, Cheever, Rahal, Fittipaldi, Luyendyke, and other legends.

I don’t see legends racing in the series anymore.

Ooh ooh! Free admittance tomorrow! Woo hoo! :rollercoaster:

Last edited:
Barber is a cool track. Never had a chance to race there, but I wanted to. There's also a great motorcycle museum there.

Zeldman, I got to drive Formula Fords when I did a Skip Barber school some years back. Great fun. The cars are very light, fast, and handle like they're on a rail. Try one of you get a chance.

MotoGP is at the Texas COTA track this weekend. Crappy track for motorcycle racing, too many stop/start first gear corners. Also they had the brilliant idea of grinding the track down to remove the bumps put there by the F1 cars before this weekend. Track is incredibly dusty and grip is terrible. First practice session they we're 10 seconds off the pace from the previous year.

30 minutes away is Barber Motorsports racetrack where Indy Cars are trying to race in this rain storm. They're on their second red flag stop, and it's still raining. Front stretch has lots of water so the cars are hydroplaning.

Sooo, glad I didn't go. Maybe they'll call it and run it tomorrow. But, forecast is for rain so we'll see.

Yeah, that was a soggy one. I wanted to get there for the Porsche GT3 cup race, but couldn't drag my sorry behind out of bed at 6:15 to get there in time. I did catch the Formula Mazda and Indy Lights races. The FM race was pretty good, the Indy Lights one was dominated by one driver at the front, but there was some good racing midpack. On the little bit of Indycar race that there was, Josef Newgarden was the class of the field, but there was plenty of action going on behind the first three.

Also, the Barber Museum is getting a new neighbor, the Southern Museum of Flight is moving.

For spectator excitement nothing can get more exciting that a dirt track race.

Except maybe a good demolition derby....and maybe a demo derby where the participants may have been drinking before the green flag.....

Is the track near you the one at B'ham..??

I almost bought a Formula Ford once. There was at least 2 or 3 Formula Ford races a year at the old Texas World Speedway, which was almost in my back yard. Then I found out they use a Pinto motor and not much modification was allowed. This was more than 30 years ago and the cars looked similar to the included picture.

historic-formula-ford-race-car-at-oulton-park-motor-racing-circuit-BPPX5H.jpg

It's not actually a Pinto motor, it's a 1.6 liter Ford Kent engine from the English Cortina GT. They use the same block, but the pistons, cylinder head, and intake are different. It's actually a pretty nice racing motor, pushrod with iron block and heads, which is not surprising considering when it was designed. After an engine builder breathed on it, it was good for 112-115 hp, which is plenty for a car that weighs 930 lbs. A Formula Ford was, at the time, the lowest priced pure racing chassis you could get, and having that reliable lump a motor made the class wildly popular from the late 60's through the mid 80's. It's still going as Formula F, in the U. S. you can still use a Kent motor or a 1.5 liter Honda.

I had one, a Van Diemen RF84:
VanDiemenDocLg.jpg

The "RF" stood for Ralph Firman, who was the principal of Van Diemen and the car's designer, but it could very well have stood for "really fun", because it was. The car is made of a simple tube frame chassis with removable bodywork, so it's easy to get at everything, but since it's purpose built to be a race car, it doesn't require much maintenance. The engine was easy too, you took the head off every other race weekend and lapped the valves, and being a pushrod engine, you just put the head back on, no need to fuss with valve timing. Every other year, I'd send the engine out for freshening. It never let me down. Again, pure race chassis, steering was half a turn lock to lock, great brakes, great suspension, and really light. There's no substitute for low mass when it comes to driving enjoyment. Plus, it was super consistent lap after lap. Being open cockpit, the visibility is unlimited, and since you can see the wheels, you can get incredibly close to the car in front of you, and because of the consistency, you can do it lap after lap. There was I guy I raced against, who had an RF83, and we used go through turn 12 at Road Atlanta

7737736.jpg

overlapping each other, and never touched.

To each his own, but IMO, you missed out.

I've never even heard of the Barber track.....guess I've been out of it for a while. Worked on indy cars from 1990 til 2006 and always hated the ovals....loved the road courses. I too miss the legends, some because they're gone like Rich Vogler and others because they took themselves out like Al Jr who got me an Indy ring in 92 my first time at the speedway. Too bad he took up drinking and drugs. He was a great driver and treated us all very well.
Rain sucks at any track and watching boat races in Surfers paradise couldn't have been more boring. We had to get new firesuits after that race because everything molded badly on the trip home in the containers. We didn't have time to dry anything as packup was right after the race.

Frank

Yeah, that was a soggy one. I wanted to get there for the Porsche GT3 cup race, but couldn't drag my sorry behind out of bed at 6:15 to get there in time. I did catch the Formula Mazda and Indy Lights races. The FM race was pretty good, the Indy Lights one was dominated by one driver at the front, but there was some good racing midpack. On the little bit of Indycar race that there was, Josef Newgarden was the class of the field, but there was plenty of action going on behind the first three.

Also, the Barber Museum is getting a new neighbor, the Southern Museum of Flight is moving.

It's not actually a Pinto motor, it's a 1.6 liter Ford Kent engine from the English Cortina GT. They use the same block, but the pistons, cylinder head, and intake are different. It's actually a pretty nice racing motor, pushrod with iron block and heads, which is not surprising considering when it was designed. After an engine builder breathed on it, it was good for 112-115 hp, which is plenty for a car that weighs 930 lbs. A Formula Ford was, at the time, the lowest priced pure racing chassis you could get, and having that reliable lump a motor made the class wildly popular from the late 60's through the mid 80's. It's still going as Formula F, in the U. S. you can still use a Kent motor or a 1.5 liter Honda.

I had one, a Van Diemen RF84:
VanDiemenDocLg.jpg

The "RF" stood for Ralph Firman, who was the principal of Van Diemen and the car's designer, but it could very well have stood for "really fun", because it was. The car is made of a simple tube frame chassis with removable bodywork, so it's easy to get at everything, but since it's purpose built to be a race car, it doesn't require much maintenance. The engine was easy too, you took the head off every other race weekend and lapped the valves, and being a pushrod engine, you just put the head back on, no need to fuss with valve timing. Every other year, I'd send the engine out for freshening. It never let me down. Again, pure race chassis, steering was half a turn lock to lock, great brakes, great suspension, and really light. There's no substitute for low mass when it comes to driving enjoyment. Plus, it was super consistent lap after lap. Being open cockpit, the visibility is unlimited, and since you can see the wheels, you can get incredibly close to the car in front of you, and because of the consistency, you can do it lap after lap. There was I guy I raced against, who had an RF83, and we used go through turn 12 at Road Atlanta

7737736.jpg

overlapping each other, and never touched.

To each his own, but IMO, you missed out.

Interesting, thanks. Looks like the Formula Ford is a training ground for moving up in Formula cars.

No, I really didn't miss out. At the time I made my pay checks from racing. The FF races that happened in my area were usually during to off season from work, so we thought we would get the fun car just to have something to do. In my less than spectacular career, I worked as a pit crew man in a couple NASCAR teams, I owned and drove my own ARCA car for a few years (back before it was a rich kids play ground), we had late model short track cars, dirt and paved, I ran a sprint car for a short time, and one year I bought an alcohol dragster and ran that for a summer. We had a race fuel business selling race gas and alcohol. Howell race gas is what we sold. It was made by Howell Hydrocarbons in San Antonio. I sold fuel to race teams and tracks all through the south. Except Florida, another brand gas had that state wrapped up. I even sold race fuel to the rich kids in Saudi Arabia to put in their big and very expensive speed boats, the ones they used to take them to that specific island where they could drink, gamble and consort with women of dubious morals...:lol:

Zeldman, I got to drive Formula Fords when I did a Skip Barber school some years back. Great fun. The cars are very light, fast, and handle like they're on a rail. Try one of you get a chance.

Thanks, but no thanks. Racing was in my blood. It wasn't a job, it was life for me. I can't do a little, I am full in or it isn't worth doing. Fortunately all the folks I raced with, for and against are retired, or I would be right back in. Although lately I have been looking at Bonneville......

Back