Giving simulator instruction to a student Sport Pilot - how/what to log?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
A Sport Pilot student I know has signed up for some instruction in our Redbird FMX AATD. Normally the students who take this training are instrument students who can apply this towards their rating under our Part 141 program.

But for this student, I have planned some things that would be pertinent to a Sport Pilot - systems failures, unusual attitudes, unexpected weather encounters, etc. He signed up for the time, so I'm trying to make it valuable.

My question is - how do I log it in his book? The simulated instrument I can just log like normal for instrument students I suppose, but what about the other stuff? I assume just "AATD" and "Dual Received", not that it's going to count for anything, though. (I am a CFI-ASE/IA.)

I think I've answered my own question here, but am still interested in opinions.

My question is - how do I log it in his book? The simulated instrument I can just log like normal for instrument students I suppose,
Yes.
but what about the other stuff? I assume just "AATD" and "Dual Received", not that it's going to count for anything, though. (I am a CFI-ASE/IA.)
It counts as simulated instrument (for the time the external visuals are off or in cloud mode), training received and pilot (not flight) time. If there is a column for flight simulation devices or ATD's in the logbook, you can put it there, too. Then list what you covered in the Remarks block and sign it with your CFI data.
(b) Logbook entries. For the purposes of meeting the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, each person must enter the following information for each flight or lesson logged:

• (1) General--

• (i) Date.
      (ii) Total flight time or lesson time.
      (iii) Location where the aircraft departed and arrived, or for lessons in a flight simulator or flight training device, the location where the lesson occurred.
      (iv) Type and identification of aircraft, flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device, as appropriate. (v) The name of a safety pilot, if required by Sec. 91.109 of this chapter.
    (2) Type of pilot experience or training--

• (i) Solo.
      (ii) Pilot in command.
      (iii) Second in command.
      (iv) Flight and ground training received from an authorized instructor. (v) Training received in a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device from an authorized instructor.
    (3) Conditions of flight--

• (i) Day or night.
      (ii) Actual instrument.
      (iii) Simulated instrument conditions in flight, a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device. (iv) Use of night vision goggles in an aircraft in flight, in a flight simulator, or in a flight training device.

Back