Giving rides

Wagondriver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
375Taylor
A couple of kids, high school age or just a bit older, stopped outside the fence today and asked how much to take them for a ride. I've never thought about it before. I have a rough idea of what my per flight hour costs, but I also just go bore holes in the sky some days. Seems like for just a scenic ride over town for a half hour that any amount of money is just lower cost flying time for me.
What would you charge?

If you are a private pilot, you can't charge them. You can split the costs if you have a common purpose for the flight.

If you're an EAA member, make it a Young Eagle flight and make sure they get logbooks to start learning about aviation. As a YE flight, you can deduct fuel & oil expenses from Schedule A - Donations. And your RT drive between home & airport. Contact your state Aeronautics Dept/Div, get state aviation maps, hand them out too.

Where are you located? Find your nearest EAA chapter, join.

If I'm willing to take a stranger for a ride (big if) I wouldn't charge them if I was flying anyway. I do young eagles, but even that makes me nervous.

I'd be more concerned about parent permission, liability, etc... with kids I don't know especially....
but yeah, I wouldn't be inclined to charge , but if I was gonna charge something I'd try to dream up a job....clean the bugs off the leading edges after the flight...something like that.

Nothing, but I agree with Salty. I would more likely direct them to young Eagles or bring them over to the flight school. Another big issue is a high school kid is most likely a minor and even if not, I'm sure a parent would not be happy with someone taking a high school up in an airplane with out them knowing.

I would not charge them anything to take them up. But it they want to land. . . .

:devil:
That's funny. I once had an older patient complain about my fees. One of the fees was anesthesia. He said "I bet it is going to cost a lot to put me to sleep!" I told him "that part is free, but it will cost a bit to wake you up".

I’ve never asked for money. But I have a non-pilot friend who has, on occasion, insisted on either buying lunch or splitting the cost of the gas.

I wouldn’t let them give me one cent. It’s a pleasure and honor to introduce someone to flying.

I agree with the sentiment, but wouldn’t do it without parental approval (and probably a liability waiver).

Back