Girlfriend first flight

Climb to 5,280 feet... look over n wink.... and well .... ummmm

At least a pic of the headset so we know how serious you are about her :)

Headset is his spare that he letting her use. (If he’s smart).

At least a pic of the headset so we know how serious you are about her :)

I bought her a KORE Headset. It is exactly what I purchased for myself two years ago when I started my training.

I plan on taking her up on Saturday. The headset is scheduled to arrive today by 9pm. 5C9FBA5E-89AA-4182-94BC-458C65923131.jpeg

View attachment 89200

I didn’t tell her, but I purchased puke bags yesterday...

People get queasy for a lot of reasons. Being nervous is one of them.

If you want to keep a girlfriend and keep flying you need to make sure she doesn't get nauseous in the first place.

- Pick a dead calm day, early in the morning or in the early evening is usually better.

- Remember you have rudders and remember how to use them to keep all your turns coordinated. Pilots often don't feel the slips and skids they are making through inadequate or poor use of the rudders. Instructors and passengers do. As a general rule tailwheel pilots and instrument rated pilots are better at coordinated flight than non instrument trike pilots. If that's you, try to up your game.

- Plan ahead and stray ahead of the airplane so you do not have to make any abrupt maneuvers. Unexpected or more abrupt maneuvers increase the passengers degree of nervousness, and have more effect on the inner ear.

- Have a plan to shorten the flight. Someone above suggested no more than "an hour out". That's 2 hours out and back and that's a long time. Even 1 hour total is a long time. I realize you are driving 2.7 hours and want a decent length flight. But be aware that if she starts to feel nauseous continuing the flight will just make it worse. People can build tolerance that lets them avoid airsickness, but that only happens when the stimulus that causes it stops before they get really sick.

For example most people can't do more than a loop and a roll or two before feeling queasy, so a first acro ride will be short, scaling back to smooth, straight and level flight as soon as the person feels even the first twinge of nausea. The second ride will probably include a couple 360 degree steep turns pulling 2G to 3G to help them get familiar with how it feels to pull G, then moving to whatever is on the agenda that day and again stopping and going back to straight and level flight and terminating the acro fore the flight as soon as they feel any twinges of nausea. Over successive flights they'll build tolerance until they no longer feel nausea at all.

If on the other hand, you keep pushing forward after they start feeling ill, it just reinforces that pattern, and pretty soon their mouth will be watering in pre-vomit prep before they ever get in the plane.

The same applies to a plain old airplane ride. Make her feel seek and keep doing it and you'll soon be choosing between the girlfriend and the flying. Have both, and having a girlfriend who likes to fly is much nicer. If it get serious having a GF or eventual wife who likes to fly and will support spending the funds required to keep flying is essential.

Sport Pilot said:
I bought her a KORE Headset. It is exactly what I purchased for myself two years ago when I started my training.

I plan on taking her up on Saturday. The headset is scheduled to arrive today by 9pm.
[/QUOTE]

X3 Skier
Reported.
Will be rescinded when photo of girlfriend is posted.

Cheers

I just received the headset last night. I had her open it and she is very excited to go up.
8EF97DDC-6296-4287-9BAD-83326BB8497A.jpeg

People get queasy for a lot of reasons. Being nervous is one of them.

If you want to keep a girlfriend and keep flying you need to make sure she doesn't get nauseous in the first place.

- Pick a dead calm day, early in the morning or in the early evening is usually better.

- Remember you have rudders and remember how to use them to keep all your turns coordinated. Pilots often don't feel the slips and skids they are making through inadequate or poor use of the rudders. Instructors and passengers do. As a general rule tailwheel pilots and instrument rated pilots are better at coordinated flight than non instrument trike pilots. If that's you, try to up your game.

- Plan ahead and stray ahead of the airplane so you do not have to make any abrupt maneuvers. Unexpected or more abrupt maneuvers increase the passengers degree of nervousness, and have more effect on the inner ear.

- Have a plan to shorten the flight. Someone above suggested no more than "an hour out". That's 2 hours out and back and that's a long time. Even 1 hour total is a long time. I realize you are driving 2.7 hours and want a decent length flight. But be aware that if she starts to feel nauseous continuing the flight will just make it worse. People can build tolerance that lets them avoid airsickness, but that only happens when the stimulus that causes it stops before they get really sick.

For example most people can't do more than a loop and a roll or two before feeling queasy, so a first acro ride will be short, scaling back to smooth, straight and level flight as soon as the person feels even the first twinge of nausea. The second ride will probably include a couple 360 degree steep turns pulling 2G to 3G to help them get familiar with how it feels to pull G, then moving to whatever is on the agenda that day and again stopping and going back to straight and level flight and terminating the acro fore the flight as soon as they feel any twinges of nausea. Over successive flights they'll build tolerance until they no longer feel nausea at all.

If on the other hand, you keep pushing forward after they start feeling ill, it just reinforces that pattern, and pretty soon their mouth will be watering in pre-vomit prep before they ever get in the plane.

The same applies to a plain old airplane ride. Make her feel seek and keep doing it and you'll soon be choosing between the girlfriend and the flying. Have both, and having a girlfriend who likes to fly is much nicer. If it get serious having a GF or eventual wife who likes to fly and will support spending the funds required to keep flying is essential.

All good advice.

I'll only add that if a passenger does get sick, it's best if you are flying a rental plane.

Sport Pilot said:

I plan on taking her up on Saturday. The headset is scheduled to arrive today by 9pm.

I just received the headset last night. I had her open it and she is very excited to go up.
View attachment 89366[/QUOTE]

She looks very happy in her new headset. I hope y’all have a nice flight together.

Ya never know...you might be creating a copilot! Look at that smile! Enjoy the flight, and maybe many more.

Fantastic!! Good job, Pilot!

Back