Gilligan's Island & Meowing

And that frequency is useless.

I'm so glad for the knowledge and helpfulness on this forum......thank you for setting me straight on the pitfalls of a no-transmit, monitor only, non-existent frequency idea. I'd have been lost without your insight. I'll go back to the drawing board now.

This is the kind of thing that comes to mind when I hear people in their 30's and up say cutesy things like, "I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up," or "I hope I never grow up."

As someone said, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things." Growing up is good. Meowing on guard isn't a grown up thing to do.

@Half Fast says it best in his signature: "You're never too old to have a happy childhood."

I'm so glad for the knowledge and helpfulness on this forum......thank you for setting me straight on the pitfalls of a no-transmit, monitor only, non-existent frequency idea. I'd have been lost without your insight. I'll go back to the drawing board now.
And why do you need to "design a frequency???"

There are plenty of listen only frequencies. Like AM and FM radio. :D

I always assumed it was military guys, but now that I think about it, I don’t think they have access to that frequency on most military aircraft… But what do I know?
Either way, the very fact that I notice a bunch of people here are ****ed off about it, now it will make me laugh.

I always assumed it was military guys, but now that I think about it, I don’t think they have access to that frequency on most military aircraft… But what do I know?
Either way, the very fact that I notice a bunch of people here are ****ed off about it, now it will make me laugh.

Yes they do.

MONITOR guard. I want to invent a frequency where you can only monitor and not transmit. that'll stop the meowing!

Maybe 282.8 MHz?

I'm thinking there are a few frequencies where you can transmit maybe once or twice, but not much more than that.

nothing creative about meowing.
Don't think of it as the kind of creativity that creates a painting, think of it as the kind of creativity that challenges the more placid, keeps them riled up, and therefore more aware.

They're just hoping all of the grumpy old men stay awake, and the meows are a good way to help. ;)

The real question is: Did you sing along with the theme song?
No...but only because every time the intercom mic vox keyed it lowered the soundtrack. It is rather difficult though to not sing along to the 3 hour tour part. One the way back we tried to get above the scattered for lighter cooler air but once we hit 10K and it was obvious the tops would win it was back down under them and 2hrs of chop afternoon chop. My NPD...nice catch....NPB....handled it great but was ready to get out. That part felt like a 3hr tour.

So one of the local guys are the airport said pilots meow on guard when someone else thinks they are keying up center but xmit on guard. Sounds believable.

Wishin' I was at OSH :( Looks like a epic turn out!!!!

Don't think of it as the kind of creativity that creates a painting, think of it as the kind of creativity that challenges the more placid, keeps them riled up, and therefore more aware.

They're just hoping all of the grumpy old men stay awake, and the meows are a good way to help. ;)

I thinking in terms of the definition of "creative." Meowing on guard is more like littering or peeing on the sidewalk.

I think the meow over the radio would be more entertaining than season I Gilligan.

Military tends to use 243.0 for guard. They all have a UHF radio that is a transceiver and a second receiver for guard.

Some military aircraft do have a VHF AM radio, but it does not have the second receiver for guard (121.5).

Interestingly, there is a VHF FM guard at 41.5. Which is exactly 1/3 the VHF frequency, which is 1/2 the UHF guard.

I’m not sure how doing exactly what 1000 other people have already done is creative but, whatever.

I’m not sure how doing exactly what 1000 other people have already done is creative but, whatever.
So no landscape/seascape artist is creative because someone else already made a landscape or seascape painting?
No musical artist is creative because someone else already used the word love in a previous song?
No sculptor is creative because someone else already made something out of clay?
No comedian is creative because...
No roller coaster designer is creative because...

So no landscape/seascape artist is creative because someone else already made a landscape or seascape painting?
No musical artist is creative because someone else already used the word love in a previous song?
No sculptor is creative because someone else already made something out of clay?
No comedian is creative because...
No roller coaster designer is creative because...
Are you trying to say that each meow is as unique and artistically expressive as each painting, or song, or sculpture? Seriously? Has anyone has ever paid someone to say "meow" with no other facets to the performance? Granted, money doesn't have to be involved for it to be art, but it's a pretty good measure of value.

I hope you are yanking my chain.

Last edited:
Are you trying to say that each meow is as unique and artistically expressive as each painting, or song, or sculpture? Seriously? Has anyone has ever paid someone to say "meow" with no other facets to the performance? Granted, money doesn't have to be involved for it to be art, but it's a pretty good measure of value.

I hope you are yanking my chain.
I wasn't being specific to the meow, but more the general assessment that no one is creative if someone else has done it.

Advanced voice analysis has proven that no two 'MEEEEEOOWS' are exactly alike. So there is that.....

And when there are 5 or so in a row, they aren't copy catted. Pun intended.

I've been listening for the meowing and "brandon" on cross country trips. Heard a recording of something on a recent one, maybe it was Gilligan- couldn't quite make it out. Doesn't bother me any, just another amusing thing to happen during a flight.

I guess this is why airshows are so boring. Loops and rolls just aren’t creative anymore because they are too common.

apropos...

Attachments

• Garfield 28 July 2023.jpg
    Garfield 28 July 2023.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 34
Anyone can meow on frequency. I prefer a good rumbling belch late at night on center to keep everyone awake....

Yes, I have...

I once read an article that the FAA was going to "crack down" on this. I guess by triangulating on the offending transmitter? But never heard if they actually "caught" anyone.

Well, it’s sorta like all those HD riders expressing their freedom and individuality by dressing alike...

It's been said that the costume costs as much as the bike ...

Call me a fuddy duddy, but the nonsense on 121.5 has always annoyed me. Flying around the DC area where monitoring is even more critical, it ****es me off that I have to turn down the volume on comm #2 because a a bunch of douches are yelling at each other on frequency while I'm trying to talk to PCT on comm #1.

With multilateration and ADS-B out, it shouldn't be particularly difficult for the FCC to set up listening stations and triangulate the location of inappropriate 121.5 transmissions and match up with an ads-b out tag. Once people start getting warnings and/or fines, the problem would go away pretty quickly, I'd think.

MONITOR guard. I want to invent a frequency where you can only monitor and not transmit. that'll stop the meowing!

Military tends to use 243.0 for guard. They all have a UHF radio that is a transceiver and a second receiver for guard.
Some military aircraft do have a VHF AM radio, but it does not have the second receiver for guard (121.5).
Interestingly, there is a VHF FM guard at 41.5. Which is exactly 1/3 the VHF frequency, which is 1/2 the UHF guard.
I'm surprised nobody's yet mentioned VOR freqs that provide weather (receive/monitor only). And some flight service transmit on a VOR (listen-only for you) while you talk on a different comm freq.

Call me a fuddy duddy, but the nonsense on 121.5 has always annoyed me. Flying around the DC area where monitoring is even more critical, it ****es me off that I have to turn down the volume on comm #2 because a a bunch of douches are yelling at each other on frequency while I'm trying to talk to PCT on comm #1.

With multilateration and ADS-B out, it shouldn't be particularly difficult for the FCC to set up listening stations and triangulate the location of inappropriate 121.5 transmissions and match up with an ads-b out tag. Once people start getting warnings and/or fines, the problem would go away pretty quickly, I'd think.

It's like deliberately blocking an oncoming ambulance with your car. Fuddy duddy has nothing to do with it, it's the acme of disrespect to anyone who might need the emergency freq. Meowing on guard should be a capital offense. If you're going to actively obstruct society and its emergency systems, GTFO of that society.

Leaving aside the obnoxious interference with the legitimate use of 121.5, the meowing is simply unprofessional. What other rules are being ignored for the sake of lightening the mood in the cockpit? Professionalism is important, doubly so when your profession is essentially to hold a few hundred lives in your hands.

For what it’s worth, I almost never hear a meow here in the flyover states. The first time I flew southeast, I was shocked how badly clogged 121.5 was with idiots meowing at each other. It seemed to start in earnest somewhere over Missouri.

Back