Gilligan's Island & Meowing

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
So my non-pilot buddy (NPD) and I are flying up to northern MN to visit a few friends. The night before I rigged up an old tablet, ram mount and a audio splitter for some in flight entertainment. We have a combo wifi+battery bank device with several movies. I had forgotten that it also had the first season of Gilligan's island on it. Just connect the audio cord into each of the Zulu controllers and we're reliving kid times. But - every radio transmission suppresses the aux audio temporarily. We're VFR and not using FF so why not just monitor Guard - it should be nice and quiet up in our middle of nowhere. About halfway thru the second episode the audio goes quiet and we hear a meowing. My friend looks at me with the WTF face. I had heard about the meowing but had never actually heard it before. Made for a pretty funny moment! So who is doing the meow and why?

GilligansIslandMeowing.png

ps. I know the ATC muting of aux audio can be disabled for a bluetooth inputs - my daughter has that all figured out. But I couldn't find a way to disable the wired audio input.

Come to the North East, you can hear it everyday.

So my non-pilot buddy (NPD) and I are flying up to northern MN to visit a few friends. The night before I rigged up an old tablet, ram mount and a audio splitter for some in flight entertainment. We have a combo wifi+battery bank device with several movies. I had forgotten that it also had the first season of Gilligan's island on it. Just connect the audio cord into each of the Zulu controllers and we're reliving kid times. But - every radio transmission suppresses the aux audio temporarily. We're VFR and not using FF so why not just monitor Guard - it should be nice and quiet up in our middle of nowhere. About halfway thru the second episode the audio goes quiet and we hear a meowing. My friend looks at me with the WTF face. I had heard about the meowing but had never actually heard it before. Made for a pretty funny moment! So who is doing the meow and why?

View attachment 119208

ps. I know the ATC muting of aux audio can be disabled for a bluetooth inputs - my daughter has that all figured out. But I couldn't find a way to disable the wired audio input.
You realize at altitude that you can pick up transmissions from 300+miles away, yes?

I’ve never figured out why people meow on guard.
Really? I mean, it's not like I do it, but it's not like it's hard to figure out why *some* people do do it. Do some of y'all have no social life and observation skills at all (I guess, that's a "yep" since that would be addressed by my own reply here.).

Maybe the better question would be why an adult would think it's anything but idiotic.

edit: or moronic, childish, inutil

I hear it on CTAF down here.
Someone once told me the origin of it but I guess the story was boring enough that I don't remember

So my non-pilot buddy (NPD) and I are flying up to northern MN to visit a few friends.
I don’t have an answer to your question, but I was wondering, wouldn’t non-pilot buddy be (NPB)?

I always thought the cat noises were some kind of secret mating call among gay pilots...not that there's anything wrong with that..but what the h*ll do I know?

The first time I remember hearing an adult person make cat noises was as a kid, watching Julie Newmar as cat woman. I don't think she was a pilot.

This is the kind of thing that comes to mind when I hear people in their 30's and up say cutesy things like, "I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up," or "I hope I never grow up."

As someone said, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things." Growing up is good. Meowing on guard isn't a grown up thing to do.

View attachment 119208

I believe most airline pilots are required to monitor the guard freq while in flight. Out of boredom, they either "meow" or say "guuuuuuuuaaaaaaard" randomly. I hear it on almost every flight. I'm not going to lie. I get a laugh out of it.

I believe most airline pilots are required to monitor the guard freq while in flight. Out of boredom, they either "meow" or say "guuuuuuuuaaaaaaard". I'm not going to lie. I get a laugh out of it.

Not just airline pilots. ALL pilots are required to monitor guard if able.

MONITOR guard. I want to invent a frequency where you can only monitor and not transmit. that'll stop the meowing!

This is the kind of thing that comes to mind when I hear people in their 30's and up say cutesy things like, "I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up," or "I hope I never grow up."

As someone said, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things." Growing up is good. Meowing on guard isn't a grown up thing to do.

Like airplanes and fun cars???????

Not just airline pilots. ALL pilots are required to monitor guard if able.
Sort of. It is in the AIM, but not a regulation.

AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION MANUAL (AIM) , CHAPTER 5, SECTION 6, PARAGRAPH 5-6-2. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF 243.0.

The AIM requirement is in case of interception by fighters for something like a TFR violation.

MONITOR guard. I want to invent a frequency where you can only monitor and not transmit. that'll stop the meowing!
tenor.gif

Hey....I'm 64 and I resemble that remark... :lol:

boredom + lack of creativity = meowing on gaurd
Meowing IS creativity, like it or not. And it DOES get even the humorless' pilot's attention, like it or not.

Apparently it gets the staid pilot's attention even more than it gets mine...

Back