Gill vs Concorde battery

obar11

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rex
What should I put in my 172 Gill or a Concorde. Who likes what and why.

I had a Concorde XC in my cherokee 140.

Pro: The cranking was great.

Con: I absolutely hated in the bolts used to connect the leads. What a complete PITA to get connected without crossthreading. I'll take the post/wingnut design anytime.

ps - note this at Chief Aircraft's site: "As of July 1st the Concorde Flooded Battery Line Has Been Replaced by the RG Serires" - there is also the same note on the Concorde battery site.

There are plenty of battery-related posts on this and other aviation forums that can be found with a Google search. You will find overwhelming support of Concorde and little love for Gill.

Concorde RG series.

The biggest reasons are:
1- Gills tend to cause corrosion from off gassing, the Concordes do not. Also a flooded battery leak coupled with a plugged battery box drain can cause eye-wateringly expensive repair bills, while Concorde RG batteries cannot leak.
2- Concordes last a lot longer. Mine's 9 years old.

+1, but I agree with Bob on the bolts vs stud and wing nut he old Gill had.

I like the bolts, as they prevent dissimilar metal corrosion at the terminal, a big problem with the Gill batteries.

I put a Concorde RG25-15M(IIRC) in my plane, so that is my endorcment for what ever it is worth.

My Gil just gave up the ghost, it's four years old. I'm going Concorde too.

Too bad you can't use Odyssey......:yesnod:

It seems a lot of people are negitive on Gill Battery life over Concorde but do not have any idea of what the battery construction varies other than the post connections. All batteries will fail and you can make them fail faster should you let them go dead and charge them with a high amprage automotive battery charger. RG type battery's are destroyed that way read the manufacturers recommende chargeing to get the best results. If you start your plane with a weak battery and let the 60 amp alternator charge it your RG type battery Gill or Concorde will be short on life after that. Keep your battery charged up or use a recommended charge rate and Gill or Concorde batteries will last a long time.

The Concorde RG in the Maule was 7 years old when we sold it and it was still going strong. I've never seen a GIL last that long. so in my experience they are not equal.

The Concorde RG in the Maule was 7 years old when we sold it and it was still going strong. I've never seen a GIL last that long. so in my experience they are not equal.

Isn't that more along the lines of the difference between flooded and RG battery types?

Isn't that more along the lines of the difference between flooded and RG battery types?

Negative, only Gill sealed I have worked with died in 24 months flat.

My last gill was 7 years old when it croaked but I gladly installed the Concorde RG in its place.

Back