Gift for instructor

davef22

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
I would like to give a gift certificate for my instructor but honestly don't know which restaurants he likes. I have an idea of where he does his grocery, is a grocery gift card a bad gift to give an instructor?

...I took my CFI out for a steak dinner after I passed my checkride. We went to a nice joint in town and no one complains about steak...he's from Iowa so I knew that wouldn't be a problem. :)

My CFI was a Scotch drinker, I bought him a nice bottle of single malt when I passed.

I flew mine to dinner and got him the biggest bottle of crown I could find

My CFI has a good day job so he's not short on cash. But I still keep asking him to dinner and he never has the time.
But I think the best way to pay him back for his effort and patience with me through my PPL training will be when I hire him for my IR this winter. :)
Steak dinner still coming up, though!

After first solo, I got my CFI a gift cert for a 'cinema grill' type place so he could take his girlfriend. After checkride, I just got him a VISA gift card he could spend wherever.

I bought beer after passing mine. Good way to celebrate.

Jesus F'n Christ, Man. Like asking what you should get for your wife's anniversary present!
When I was young, a bottle of scotch was appropriate. Couldn't handle that anymore, nor a steak. There was a time when food stamps would have been graciously accepted.
YOU have to be more intimately involved to make this decision.

I got my instructor a Sporty's gift card figuring he would know how to use it.

This. I got my first CFI a gift cert. through Sporty's. Much to my surprise there were at least two or three catalogs in the package. The obvious flying one, another for home items, and something else I think. My CFI had just bought a house so I think he used it to buy something from the home catalog.

I let mine fly my Cirrus from time to time :)

A grocery store gift certificate is pretty funny really.

Jesus F'n Christ, Man. Like asking what you should get for your wife's anniversary present!
When I was young, a bottle of scotch was appropriate. Couldn't handle that anymore, nor a steak. There was a time when food stamps would have been graciously accepted.
YOU have to be more intimately involved to make this decision.

Yikes! :yikes:

Dude, take a pill and chill. This is a family show!

Last edited:
Alcohol is always the right answer for a pilot gift.:lol:

Thanks for the suggestions; I gave my instructor a restaurant gift card; hope he likes it :)
nosehair --> seriously you need to cool your engines!

I plan on getting the family plane (yes there is another pilot in the mix), which he wants to fly anyway. Using that as a lesson towards getting my HP and complex ratings. And going to get him a fly in meal of his picking.

I've never given any CFI a gift and as a CFI I don't want them. I don't see this as a "buddy buddy" deal. My job is to teach to at least FAA standards and I will do that without any gifts (or bribes). At the same time, if the student isn't learning, I'll note that without any concern for hurting his feelings because he bought me a meal or a bottle.

I am NOT trying to start an argument. I am simply providing one simple data point that some CFIs don't care for or want a gift and students shouldn't feel gifts are either necessary or appropriate.

Just pass on and don't start flaming. It's just one opinion.

I've never given any CFI a gift and as a CFI I don't want them. I don't see this as a "buddy buddy" deal. My job is to teach to at least FAA standards and I will do that without any gifts (or bribes). At the same time, if the student isn't learning, I'll note that without any concern for hurting his feelings because he bought me a meal or a bottle.

I am NOT trying to start an argument. I am simply providing one simple data point that some CFIs don't care for or want a gift and students shouldn't feel gifts are either necessary or appropriate.

Just pass on and don't start flaming. It's just one opinion.

Jim thanks for the tip. I just felt my instructor did a great job of teaching me and prepping me for the check-ride and was very patient as well. I gave this gift ONLY after I got my check-ride, so it was never a bribe or anything of that sort.

I plan on getting the family plane (yes there is another pilot in the mix), which he wants to fly anyway. Using that as a lesson towards getting my HP and complex ratings. And going to get him a fly in meal of his picking.
I thought of taking him out to eat but due to work and time conflicts, it was not possible for me. I figured it will be good for him as well to just take his family out. But yes taking an instructor out to eat is a great idea, this is probably what I will do when I start working on my IFR but thats a looong way:wink2:.

Back