GI 275 EIS configuration

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
I'm looking at removing my old Cessna stock engine gauges as part of an upcoming panel refresh and replacing with a more modern engine monitoring system. Right now I have a JPI 830, but it's not certified as primary so all the old gauges have to stay.

I am hesitant to go with the JPI 900/930 as they seem to be very old technology these days.

The other option suggested by the shop is a GI 275 set up as an EIS. I like the idea, but the very small screen gives me pause. I generally like to be able to see RPM & MP, all 6 EGTs/CHTs (actual values, not just the graph), oil P and oil T, fuel quantities (4 tanks) and carb temp as a minimum.

I'd love to hear the crowd's views on how I might best achieve this goal.

I don't think it'll show all the temps on the screen, but the EI CGR-30 combo spreads things out in two standard size instruments, with primary on one, and cluster gauges on the other.

Thanks for the suggestion! My concern with EI is the same as with JPI - I may be wrong, but I feel like they are pretty old technology by now?

Thanks for the suggestion! My concern with EI is the same as with JPI - I may be wrong, but I feel like they are pretty old technology by now?
I guess it's subjective. I feel EI is way ahead of JPI. Garmin 275 is brand spanking new, but I can't think of anything it has that the CGR doesn't.

I just installed a CGR in my Lance, so a couple things come to mind. I haven't installed a Garmin engine monitor, so I don't know how this compares. The CGR combo uses one big processor box and a bunch of smaller modules. I'm not talking probes, but modules that some of the probes connect to. So, I was surprised at how much space I needed to mount all that remote crap. The JPI is pretty much all in one package. That's the only thing I liked better about the JPI.

I have flown with the GI275 EIS, the CGR30p and the EDM900 albeit not equally and mostly from a pilot's perspective.

As far as newer vs older technology, that mainly comes into play when evaluating the screens. The sensors are the most important part of the system and they're all old tech. JPI sensors are faster reacting but introduce a bit of noise in the data. EI sensors are the opposite. And I think there were 2 generations of EI sensors. I seem to recall that the GI275 can use either EI or JPI style.

Garmin also uses a remote box like the EI.

As far as screens go, the Garmin is by far the brightest and the sharpest. JPI is probably second as far as brightness but I'm guessing about the same pixel density as EI. However, screen real estate obviously outpaces the others. I kind of like the layout of the EI better than the 275 but you can't beat having everything on one screen like the JPI. I do like how you can customize what goes where with the EI, though.

I also don't like how the JPI logs are a proprietary file format rather than generic CSV.

Is it correct that with Garmin you’re building your own wiring harnesses?

I’m going to install a new JPI 830 during my annual next month. I’d love to have a spare set of Cessna primaries if you decide to ditch yours. 182P

I’m going to install a new JPI 830 during my annual next month. I’d love to have a spare set of Cessna primaries if you decide to ditch yours. 182P
I'm planning to remove both my primaries, and my existing JPI 830...all will be looking for a new home.

To my knowledge, this is correct. As such, one should factor in the additional labor cost of having the harnesses built for the GI275. Our systems includes all of the necessary sensors and pre-made wire harnesses.

I'm looking at removing my old Cessna stock engine gauges as part of an upcoming panel refresh and replacing with a more modern engine monitoring system. Right now I have a JPI 830, but it's not certified as primary so all the old gauges have to stay.

I am hesitant to go with the JPI 900/930 as they seem to be very old technology these days.

The other option suggested by the shop is a GI 275 set up as an EIS. I like the idea, but the very small screen gives me pause. I generally like to be able to see RPM & MP, all 6 EGTs/CHTs (actual values, not just the graph), oil P and oil T, fuel quantities (4 tanks) and carb temp as a minimum.

I'd love to hear the crowd's views on how I might best achieve this goal.
Would you know a link for a 1974 182 P POH download ?

Back