GFC500 Checklist?

BryanAV8R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bryan
Just throwing this out there....but, has anyone come up with a reasonable facsimile of a checklist for operating the GFC500?

Just throwing this out there. I like having checklists in my bag of tricks (mostly so that I can cross check that I've set things up properly...). Hey, I still use the "official" cessna 172 checklist, even though been flying the model since '87...

Just a thought....

Seems like it’s stuff already on the checklists, you just accomplish it differently.

Not talking about the airframe checklist (the only thing in the mfr-supplied list for run-up is "Autopilot: OFF)...but about the 'buttonology' of the equipment (my 69 172K doesn't have any entries that deal with a computer-driven "glass cockpit").

ie (and this is an illustration, not truth):

GFC500 Pre-Takeoff: (AP OFF)

1. HEADING BUG: Set for departure heading
2. NAV Select: HDG Mode
3. IAS Button: Set for 100 MPH
4. TOGA: Press for climb bars
5. G5: Modes Armed

GFC500 Initial Climb: (800' AGL)

1. AP Button: Press ON
etc.

(again, this is from the comfort of my office chair, not reality, but visualized for the purposes of this discussion)

Are the various checklists/procedures in the flight manual supplement not enough? That's all I've ever seen on a rental checklist with GFC 500 or similar

Not talking about the airframe checklist (the only thing in the mfr-supplied list for run-up is "Autopilot: OFF)...but about the 'buttonology' of the equipment (my 69 172K doesn't have any entries that deal with a computer-driven "glass cockpit").

ie (and this is an illustration, not truth):

GFC500 Pre-Takeoff: (AP OFF)

1. HEADING BUG: Set for departure heading
2. NAV Select: HDG Mode
3. IAS Button: Set for 100 MPH
4. TOGA: Press for climb bars
5. G5: Modes Armed

GFC500 Initial Climb: (800' AGL)

1. AP Button: Press ON
etc.

(again, this is from the comfort of my office chair, not reality, but visualized for the purposes of this discussion)
Don't forget to set altitude.

i have not put it into the form of a checklist but my pre-takeoff avionics setup includes setting/bugging altitude and initial heading. My checklist does include TOGA as part of lining up on the runway, but I allow the AP to engage in roll/pitch mode before I change to FLC/IAS and HDG or NAV as applicable.

Don't forget to set altitude.

i have not put it into the form of a checklist but my pre-takeoff avionics setup includes setting/bugging altitude and initial heading. My checklist does include TOGA as part of lining up on the runway, but I allow the AP to engage in roll/pitch mode before I change to FLC/IAS and HDG or NAV as applicable.

Like I said, was just a swag at it. I've got a corporate pilot/CFI with a couple hundred hours behind the same rig as I have I'm meeting on Thursday (hopefully the wx will cooperate here in the NE) to drill me on the operation. I feel comfortable with getting it established and stable on course at the proper preselected altitude, but there are a bunch of gaps that I really need to work through. Even CFIs need instruction, right?

Even CFIs need instruction, right?
You betcha!

If we're talking checklist, though, when we get to setting up radios and avionics, the amount of detail is highly personalized. I've see checklists drill all the way down to what to put into each com and a reminder to enter the flight plan. OTOH are those which leave it as "Avionics...SET." TOGA is in mine for one reason - multiple airplanes only one of which is TOGA. I figure I need the reminder :)

You betcha!

If we're talking checklist, though, when we get to setting up radios and avionics, the amount of detail is highly personalized. I've see checklists drill all the way down to what to put into each com and a reminder to enter the flight plan. OTOH are those which leave it as "Avionics...SET." TOGA is in mine for one reason - multiple airplanes only one of which is TOGA. I figure I need the reminder :)

Well...I've kept notes (and will transcribe what I get out of tomorrow's marathon session in the air) on what I've learned on my own so far and come up with something that fills in the gaps for enroute climbs, descents, and approaches. Perfect? No. But not going to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. :)

Well...I've kept notes (and will transcribe what I get out of tomorrow's marathon session in the air) on what I've learned on my own so far and come up with something that fills in the gaps for enroute climbs, descents, and approaches. Perfect? No. But not going to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. :)
It doesn't have to be perfect. Just good enough for your needs.

I like to set heading and initial altitude and then IAS if I plan on using it. Then I engage and disengage to make sure the disonnect button works.. I believe testing the disconnect is the most important!

In flight, the most important thing is make sure you are in the mode you think you are in. For the G1000, with the 700 that means confirming on the scoreboard that you in the proper mode and headed toward what ever you are head for. Plus confirm that you are set to the proper climb configuration or descent config. After every change, confirm to the scoreboard, not just a light on the button you pushed. Very important..... voice of experience here.

Hint, if you are flying along fat, dumb and happy and you notice the AP/FD is in pitch and roll mode, you probably screwed something up.

Hit the damn TOGA button on takeoff.
Otherwise it’s going to feel very heavy and you’ll have to correct trim manually.

I just had mine installed and the importance was not emphasized. :eek2:

I don't have my checklist with me but I also set the altitude select before take-off.

Back