GFC 500 in-flight demo

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo

pretty cool feature demo.. i wish they actually show that the aircraft will not stall instead of just mentioning it....

Kind of hard to prove a negative.

It's pretty easy to demonstrate, command a 500FPM climb and reduce power, either it stalls or it drops the nose.

It's a fun demo to do with CFIs who don't use autopilots in small planes much(well, the autopilots that will happily put you into a stall). Also I enjoy showing them how the autopilot also happily disconnect after running out of trim and give you a fun time trying to re-trim and hold the yoke to keep the plane under control.

It's pretty easy to demonstrate, command a 500FPM climb and reduce power, either it stalls or it drops the nose.
Why 500? Cram the power, press the FD button, dial up 2000FPM then hit the AP button.

Why 500? Cram the power, press the FD button, dial up 2000FPM then hit the AP button.

Personally, when it trims the airplane all the way into a stall I'd rather have it be a little more benign than a full power power-on stall. Why yes I usually fly King autopilots that happily stall the plane not one of these fancy ones with envelope protection.

The point is not to stall, at least that’s what Garmin is claiming. I am guessing it will sacrifice altitude and not let the plane go into a full on stall, but never flown one with GFC 500, did fly with GFC 700... but CFI kept it off all the time

Back