Getting started.

L384750

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
L384750
I have never posted in a forum in general.
I am 21, and have always wanted to fly. Currently I am a truck technition. I have no idea where to begin. I want to get started. I live outside of Spokane Washington. What would be the best way to approach training and getting into the field?

Welcome. First off, you can get a student AOPA membership for free, sign up on their website.

You should have some good options at local airports in your area. Check with Air-Nav, AOPA online to see what airports have flight schools or training available. You could take an 'intro' ride pretty cheap.

Better than that, find a 'private pilot ground school' course in your area. This could be at the local college, Tech school, or at an airport. It wouldn't cost much and would connect you to all kind of options.

There may be a local member/airplane owner who could show you the ropes too.

Welcome to Pilots of America!

+1 what WI Flyer noted

A discovery (intro) flight is always a good first step. Hopefully some POA folks from your area will be along to recommend some flight schools or an instructor to get you on your way.

Thank you.. Now, i understand that There are minimum requirements for hours before you can apply for a commercial position. How do most pilots add up their hours after flight school?

Just about all pilots have 'log books' that document flight hours and training. This would all be mentioned in a ground school, book, or an online type course.

For a newer pilot any 'commercial' option would be down the road a ways, but one has to start somewhere. What was it that guy said, 'a journey of 1000 miles starts with that 1st step'?

Take an intro flight to see if this is something you actually want to pursue. Don't give any flight school money up front. Good luck and welcome!

Definitely an intro flight. In the meantime, if you want to start digging into the stuff you will need to learn/know to get your private pilot certificate, the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, and the Airplane Flying Handbook are all available as free electronic downloads from the FAA's website. You could start perusing them, and see the stuff you will be studying. If you work on trucks now, the airplane systems stuff should be no sweat.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/

Thank you.. Now, i understand that There are minimum requirements for hours before you can apply for a commercial position. How do most pilots add up their hours after flight school?

Welcome to the board!

There is no "one path" people go down after their private pilot license before commercial.

Hour-wise you'll need at least 250 hours for a commercial license which consists of all kinds of requirements and getting that doesn't mean you can go fly jets right away. You need type training, etc for that.

Most people will hit up regional's somewhere around the 1000 hour mark (more or less). Used to be 1500 minumum, some are 750 and I'm sure there are more than a few in between.

There are tons of threads on here to give you guidance on how to rack up hours, but definitely go take a discovery flight as others have suggested and figure out if its for you.

Go to Felts Field and look for flight schools...there are two that I know of but may be more. Talk to instructors, look over the facilities and the aircraft, get a feel for the place. Talk to students, if you can. The most important consideration is the instructor/student connection, and that is more personal chemistry than hours of experience.

You have a head start going in...your truck experience will help.

Bob Gardner

As a student of one of the aviation academy, I would like to suggest you to visit aviation colleges near your location. So that you can easily get knowledge about the different options which you have and according to your interest you can choose for further.
Good luck for your bright future!!!!

Go to several local flight schools and talk to the owner, CFI's and the people who work there. Spend a few hours observing student/CFI interaction on the ramp and in class. Ask other students questions about their flight training experience at the school.

Once you select a flight school, take an intro flight. Have fun!

After that, you'll know if it's something you want to pursue.

Good Luck.

Looking back, if I was considering making a profession of it, I would have:
1) Intro flight -- Make sure I kinda like it ~$150
2) Start on the PPL. Get my first solo done ~$2,000

Pause - Think - Do I love this? Do I want to do it as a profession?

Yes and Yes -- Beg borrow and steal for the cash to go to a full time flight academy
Yes and No -- Beg borrow and steal for the cash to go to a local school and get the PPL
No and No -- It was fun. On to the next new thing!

Back